Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2016 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Forester 2.5L Touring (non-turbo) currently with 60400 miles on it. The car was running fine until about 1000 miles ago then about 5 miles after getting gas the check engine light came on. It was a solid light with the eyesight/safety features disabled, and it read P0300 on a code reader. The car seemed to run fine for the few miles that it was driven. I replaced the spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil, cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. The check engine light now was off and the eyesight/safety features were now functional (since I had the battery disconnected to change the spark plugs). It seemed to run fine in a 5-minute test drive by me. My wife (who's car this is) later reported that it idled roughly at times. I ran it for a 20-minute drive, and it seemed to run fine. I told her to run it for awhile going thru another tank of gas. It continued to idle rough at times and then after several hundreds of miles, it began to stumble once in a while when accelerating. It would drive without this stumbling for dozens of miles, but when it stumbles it would do so consistently for a number of miles. I then replaced the Alternator and the Tensioner assembly per Subaru service bulletin #07-112-16R & affected VIN #. It seemed to correct the problem. But several days and about 40 miles the problems returned. It now idles rough at times, stumbles briefly accelerating and even when deaccelerating. Even feels like it might stall at times. There are no check engine lights on currently. The car has never required any oil to be added between oil changes, and the level currently is normal. The exhaust has no unusual smells. There are no unusual noises. It makes no difference if the AC is on or off. The gas mileage is the same as it always was. The car seems to have normal power, even when accelerating up hills. I drove it this morning for 20 minutes, uphill, fast, slow, & idling. All OK. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,347 Posts
Did you perform an idle relearn? I changed my plugs last week and had to do the procedure in order for it to not stall out at stop signs.
I used the following procedure that (a member here) Bod posted. Good luck.I hope it works

· Registered
2016 Forester
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car now has 64300 miles on it. Runs fine 99 plus % of the time. Sometimes it sputters and stumbles at all speeds, even when stopped at a stoplight. It does this accelerating, deaccelerating, or at a steady speed. Several times it stumbled so much, that my wife thought that it would not make it home. Once (and only once) when it was very cold outside, it would not shift to a higher gear, I thought I was going to get rear-ended. An independent mechanic stated that it was the CVT that was bad. I called the Subaru CVT hotline twice. We took it to 2 different Subaru dealers for a combined total of 7 days. Even though I told them that it might just drive fine for over a hundred miles without any problems, or might have problems every time it is driven on any given day, they only logged a total of 25 miles on it. My wife has no confidence in the car to get her home at night thru bad neighbourhoods from her job as a nurse, or to risk driving very far from home. Finally, after months of problems, we sold it and bought a new Toyota. (My 2006 Prius runs fine on the unserviced reliable CVT.) Subaru has lots of flakey intermittent CVT problems. Many people don't complain since they extended the warranty to 100,000 miles. Watch Scotty Kilmer on Youtube talk about Subaru CVT's. We took a large loss on this babied garage kept, never even been eaten in the car that we intended to keep for a long time. Will never buy another.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,132 Posts
@Quadraria10 he's not setup to receive e-mail notifications when a post is made to his thread & there's a good possibility he's not coming back. You could send the member a PM - Private Message... now called a "conversation" on this new site. The member is optioned to receive an e-mail notification, so you could receive a reply to your question.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

· Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
2,347 Posts
Bobby he responded one day ago? There are people who check-in and who do not want to receive email notifications every time something is posted. I may well change my settings.

· Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
44,132 Posts
@Quadraria10 there are numerous ways to set up forum notifications. I only receive an e-mail notification if a PM - Private message is received. I get way too many forum notification to set everything for e-mail notifications... that would clutter my e-mail! Those I set for an alert notification only here on the forum.

I assumed you wanted a reply from the the poster, hence my suggestion to PM him. As I noted, he may be done with Subaru & his frequenting this forum.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.