Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Our 2016 Forester XT has about 7600 kms (4800 miles). It went into the dealership for service after the 1st year but then the dealership closed. There is another new dealership about 1.5 - 2 hours drive and we went there this last weekend to check them out. It was a showroom only and apparently there is an associated 'shop' offsite that does their service for them. Thus far (all 4800 miles) we have been changing the synthetic oil/filter, air filter etc every 12 months or so.

I entered our vin on a subaru website and it tells me there are the following service bulletins for our car. Does anyone recognize any of them ? are they significant ?
Thanks !

SRT277 Adjusting the front exhaust pipe nuts
SRT270 Replacement of the stop switch.
SRT220 Checking the turbo air intake duct.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
613 Posts
The first one iirc, involves replacing or re torque of exhaust nuts because of loosening. You can find the TSBs on NHTSA. Put in your vehicle MY, search then scroll down, Swipe over to manufacture communication. All the TSBs for your MY or vin will show up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Our car has a non-US VIN (Mexican). I did a generic search (car model etc) on the NHTSA database and came up with some other service bulletins, one of which looks like the third on my list... For that one I;ll have to see if I can find any numbers on the 'duct' as only some need replacing, and parts are not readily available. That is another thing I am hoping to avoid. We show up for service and they say - yup you need that and we need to order the part. come back in 2 months...

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,093 Posts
The second description, "Replacement of the stop switch" sounds like the big Brake Light Switch recall, which affected a lot of Subarus.

From the little I've read about recalls on this site, it appears that they are country-specific. Subaru in the US and Subaru in Canada each have their own recalls. I'm not sure how Subaru America will treat a vehicle with a Mexican VIN.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The initial reply my wife received from the subaru 'repair shop' is that they will require THREE DAYS for the work on these three items. (Drop it off on a Thursday and pick it up on a Saturday).

·
Registered
2016 Forester
24 Posts
If your brake light switch is defective you wont be able to start your car. It will keep cycling from on acc and back around cuz it doesn't think you are holding down the brake while pushing the push starter. I had it replaced under warranty before they did the recall. I was stuck at the gas station for 5 minutes trying to start my car

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The initial reply my wife received from the subaru 'repair shop' is that they will require THREE DAYS for the work on these three items. (Drop it off on a Thursday and pick it up on a Saturday).
Hmmm...I guess the repair place is not Subaru.? Heh! I was in an out in less than an hour when the dealership replaced the brake light switch on my wife's Forester. From your description, I can't picture that the stuff would take overly long. Sounds like they plan on working on it whenever they have spare time. Not sure where you live, but it seems like you're sort of "trapped." Of course, if you're okay with that, it doesn't matter.

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this situation is starting to get a little under my skin. The latest update from the service dept... you will have to bring in your car and if it needs any of the repairs mentioned we will have to order the parts and you will have to bring your car back again to have the repairs made... (That ride is close to 2 hours each way).

I'm an old man and I don't have a Facebook account - but I found the dealership's page this morning. If it were my business I might consider taking down the page since there are way too many complaints related to service. Somebody has some money invested in trying to develop the brand here in Mexico. Dealerships are closing like crazy. I like our Forester but we might have been better off buying a Volvo...

I found a name/number for someone in corporate's customer service. That will be the next thing we try.

Thank goodness we don't have any serious issues with the car at the moment.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sounds like a big, frustrating mess. Good luck and please post any updates. This will also be a good way to vent... :)

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest update : My wife spoke to the woman in corporate's customer relations. They have agreed to order the part related to the brake indicator (the gizmo controlling starting the car). They will give us a call when they have the part at which time we will drive in on a Saturday morning and they will replace that part and try to determine if we need anything done for the other two service bulletins (which may/may not require another visit in the future). I thought that was reasonable (and I do love visiting Mexico City).

We have never really been 'dealership' kind of people. In our nearly 40 years of marriage we have purchased a new : Chrysler, Toyota, Volvo, Jeep and now a Subaru. We have never taken out an auto loan through a dealership. We drive our cars 10+ years (the Jeep 20+) and only very rarely used the dealer for service. Having said that - we did take a little comfort in knowing that the car came with a warranty.

Other than the Subarus parked in the dealer's lot - in nearly 10 years here we have seen only ONE other Subaru on the road. And in our defense, when we initially purchased the Subaru the guy in charge mentioned all the places in OUR town where they were considering opening a new dealership - only to close up shop a few months later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took the car into Mexico City this weekend for service. It was a nice experience and my expectations were soo wrong. It was a service shop truly dedicated to Subarus ! They were not very busy, but we did meet another American couple while there. In and out in about 2 hours. We will take the car back in a year for the last service before the warranty runs out. They replaced the (potentially) plastic brake gizmo with a metallic one. They determined that is/was the only 'recall' item we needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts