Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Many. WRX, STI, Fore CVT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..My 2016 FXT is throwing "rich" error codes agin..Running VERY rough on startup...This happened two years ago and I'm not sure what the dealer did to fix it ( Clean mass airflow sensor?, Reflash ECU?)..Now its back and the dealer is saying that the wiring harness that feeds the mass airflow sensor has an intermittant bad wire and Subaru tech support is saying it has to be replaced..It is litterally thousands of dollars and my dealer is trying to get Subaru to pay (out of warranty, 117K miles)..I'm not so sure that is the problem.I know that there are several possibilities for why that car would do this (it is a known problem) including mass airflow sensor, injectors, etc..Has anyone seen this?..Any ideas?...Many thanks!

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
136 Posts
I was getting several codes related to "too rich". Finally figured out it was the front O2 sensor intermittently going out, unfortunately it ended up grenading the front catalytic converter in the process :(

Definitely worth it to replace the front sensor, it's ~$150 and easy enough to DIY. You'll need a 22mm wrench. It's a bit tight but I replaced mine just by removing the steel mudguard behind the front fender.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
566 Posts
sounds like the dealer wants to replace the bulkhead harness. the harness isn't cheap and is time consuming to install but there are known issues of the internal wires becoming frayed and damaged from wear as they age. hopefully Subaru will help you out, you can try replacing the MAF sensor, but if they conducted conductivity testing and the harness is bad changing an O2 sensor or the MAF wont fix anything. subaur wont but you can run a new wire in the harness if your savvy enough to depin the harness, run a new wire and reloom it. the dealer will only replace a harness they wont fix the existing one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts