Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has added a pin into their trailer lighting harness to grab the reverse light feed?

I have added a 7-pin plug to my Foz, which will allow reverse lights on my trailer. I need to know the type and if possible a source for the pins in the wiring harness plug to add a reverse light lead in. I have tested the plug and it does have the reverse, however, I am not sure of the brand of the connector to get an additional pin to add it on the trailer harness side.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There should be the unpinned terminal on the trailer wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness.
You can add your own pin to that terminal and run the wire to the 7-pin connector.
Yes, I have found the location for the pin, I need to know the type of pin to purchase, so that I can add the pin into the connector.

HotShot308 said:
I need to know the type and if possible a source for the pins in the wiring harness plug to add a reverse light lead in.

·
Registered
2013 Forester X 5-speed Manual
356 Posts
Are they required in Florida? You may also want to add a powered converter to the trailer harness, as all that juice being pulled from the stock wiring might cause problems...

Something like this - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Circuit-Protected-Powered-Converter/dp/B007NIZCP0/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460473149&sr=1-8&keywords=powered+7-pin+connector[/ame]

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,102 Posts
Yes, I have found the location for the pin, I need to know the type of pin to purchase, so that I can add the pin into the connector.
Sorry for my restating the obvious then.
Personally I would go and get a generic plug out of a Subaru from a wrecking yard and just depin that for adding one to the trailer harness.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for my restating the obvious then.
Personally I would go and get a generic plug out of a Subaru from a wrecking yard and just depin that for adding one to the trailer harness.
Now that's an idea... (Where's the face palm Smiley?):surprise:

Why didn't I think of that?

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are they required in Florida? You may also want to add a powered converter to the trailer harness, as all that juice being pulled from the stock wiring might cause problems...

Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Valley-Circuit-Protected-Powered-Converter/dp/B007NIZCP0/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1460473149&sr=1-8&keywords=powered+7-pin+connector
I have the Curt 4 wire harness already, I'm just looking to add a reverse light wire into my 7 pin plug conversion.

No they aren't required in Florida, but I live out in the boonies, and it's dark at night when backing, so I'm adding LED reverse light strips onto my trailers.

Kinda like these...

Amazon.com: LEDGlow 60 Inch Red Tailgate LED Light Bar with White Reverse Lights: Automotive

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
448 Posts
Many of the connectors in the Subaru are made by TE. (Formally Tyco)
This 8-pin housing looks very close to the actual trailer housing (just the keying is a tiny bit different)

I think that this housing will mate with the Trailer connector:
TE 174931-1

The Male Crimp terminal for the housing is:
TE 173645-1
You can buy both parts at Mouser.com or Digikey.

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many of the connectors in the Subaru are made by TE. (Formally Tyco)
This 8-pin housing looks very close to the actual trailer housing (just the keying is a tiny bit different)

I think that this housing will mate with the Trailer connector:
TE 174931-1

The Male Crimp terminal for the housing is:
TE 173645-1
You can buy both parts at Mouser.com or Digikey.
Excelent!! Thanks for the info... Turns out, my work may have these in stock... I'm taking one home to see if it works tonight. 0.26 cents... :smile2:

·
Registered
2015 Forester Manual
44 Posts
I can't find any good how-to's for a total noob/dork like me. the pins/housings from Mouser/Digikey didn't make sense to me. i can follow the curt 4 pole install ... but unclear best way to get another wire for reverse....anyone point me in the right direction? i want reverse lights on my bike rack ( because right now they are blocked by bikes when I'm backing up! )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts