Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December 2015, we bought a new 2016 Forester from a good dealer in the Pacific Northwest and paid $1,210 for the 3 year / 36k mile version of the "Subaru Added Security Maintenance Plan". This was supposed to cover the first six of the 6k mile recommended maintenance visits (synthetic oil). Yeah, somehow I let them convince me that the costs would be that much over 3 years, but in reality, all we ended up getting for the money was the following (totaling $673.80*):
  • 5 synthetic oil and filter changes (6k, 12k, 18k, 24k, 30k)
  • 5 multi-point inspections (I hope)
  • 5 fluid top-ups (I hope)
  • 4 or 5 tire rotations (I think they forgot at 24k - based on wear issues that started to appear later)
  • 2 cabin air filters (12k & 30k - they skipped it at 24k, since it was probably not needed)
  • 1 engine air filter (30k)
  • 1 brake-fluid flush (30k)
If we had we put more miles on it and made it to the 36k mile mark before the (unmentioned) 1 year grace period expired, I think we still would have recuperated only about $750 of the $1210 that we paid up front (not counting the interest we paid since it was rolled into the loan).

*Yes, this cost $673.80 according to their invoices. In fact, on a few of these invoices I signed, they changed the costs on the copy they gave me (either lowered the price or removed it completely). For this total, I used the high values I remembered and recorded, which they presumably pass up to Subaru. It would have been lower if I had paid for it myself, so this represents the extra marked-up "billed-to-the-manufacturer" rates.

Now, part of this discrepancy could be due to regional differences in service pricing given that we moved to Texas a year later. Either way, I'm thinking about requesting a refund of the difference from SOA. Has anyone ever tried that? If so, what were your experiences? Any advice?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
1,120 Posts
These warranty deals are almost always a rip-off, sorry you got taken. I got taken for this on my 2010, if you were within the warranty period they should refund the unused portion at your request, but you're past the cut-off therefore probably not. I will never pay for maintenance in advance again, it's rolled into loan (you pay interest on it) and you can usually find a good independent shop or do your own.

·
Registered
549 Posts
These warranty deals are almost always a rip-off, sorry you got taken. I got taken for this on my 2010, if you were within the warranty period they should refund the unused portion at your request, but you're past the cut-off therefore probably not. I will never pay for maintenance in advance again, it's rolled into loan (you pay interest on it) and you can usually find a good independent shop or do your own.
Warranty isn't the same as a maintenance plan, you're mixing the two.

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
172 Posts
My brother does finance for different dealerships. I bought a Toyota in 2011, and they had a promotional deal, of either using the warranty up until 125k, or getting a full refund. This wasn’t for maintenance. I didn’t use the warranty, and later got a check back for I believe around $1300.00 or so. Whatever the full amount that I paid. I’ve never heard of anything like this since. From what I know, maintenance packages are best for high end brands like Mercedes. Their costs are sick. I doubt the the Sons of Anarchy are going to refund anything for you. Other than oil and tire rotations, there is not much to do on maintenance in 36k. The brake fluid flushes and other things like that are just fluff, IMO. I believe wiper blades and brake pads are already covered under the normal warranty. You wouldn’t be the first to purchase this stuff. Live and learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.