Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a "new to me" 2016 Forester w/31 K on the clock from a dealership in TX and had it shipped to me here in chilly South Dakota.
The C U who financed it suggested an ext. warranty on it.

I've looked at many of them and find that what "the experts" say is unless you are putting on lots of miles per year that the ext/ Warranties are not worth it.
I put on less than 9 K a year and in the past have had the ext. Warranties and generally find that these are not needed, at least this has been the case with me at this point anyway.

What say you?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,167 Posts
Most aftermarket warranties have so many exclusions they are worthless.
The warranty sponsored by Subaru is a lot better deal, especially if you do some shopping around.
But - The "new to you car" is only eligible for a Subaru warranty if it either was transferred to you or the car was bought as a certified pre-owned vehicle.
That is also true for the 5 year powertrain warranty. As a used car sale, neither apply.
Warranties are completely useless... Unless you have a problem. Considering the cost of repairs.. like close to $10K for a new CVT, it could be worth it.
The Subaru plans can go for as long as 10 years (from original in service date) are transferrable to a subsequent owner for a small fee.
Several years from now, that would make your car worth more than a similar vehicle without a warranty in a private sale.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased a 2017 CPO Forester in July. It came with the 7 yr. warrenty, lifetime engine and 100,000 mile transmission warranty. I was offered the Gold version but declined. It was $1700. I only put on about 8000 miles a year.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,268 Posts
I purchased a 2017 CPO Forester in July. It came with the 7 yr. warrenty, lifetime engine and 100,000 mile transmission warranty. I was offered the Gold version but declined. It was $1700. I only put on about 8000 miles a year.
Thats about $400 too high.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
423 Posts
Extended warranty is definitely worth it. My CPO Foresters ac compressor went and the warranty covered it. They do fight you sometimes. They tried to tell me that the ac was cold enough. I got the new updated part number. Final bill was zero.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was considering going w/carchex but $2 K is a lot of ching.
It is a 6 year 120K mile one though.

How much would it have cost if you didn't have the warranty?

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,167 Posts
@DragonSubie7 That being said how often as a rule do CVT's go out?
The warranty for your 2016: https://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle-warranty/warranties-2016.html of 3 years / 36K might still be in effect depending upon the in-service date, and the 5 year powertrain appear to be in effect according to the warranty terms from 2016, where it is stated that any owner during the warranty period is covered.
Subaru also appears to extend the CVT warranty on your model to 10 years/100K miles. You may want to verify any warranty coverage by your VIN with a dealer.
There are cases documented on the forum of 2016's having issues with the CVT, but in general the Subaru unit is rated pretty well.
Primarily, the advantages of the extended warranty are for failure of non-drivetrain components after the initial factory warranty and during the drivetrain warranty, and coverage of everything after that. Again, for you this might be a moot point if your car wasn't purchased as a CPO, but if it is still under the original 3 year / 36K it might be eligible.
You can always ask a dealer if you are interested.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring CVT
218 Posts
I have a 2019 Touring and bought the Subaru 120k/8 yr warranty (first extended warranty I ever bought) due to the extent of the electronics in the Fozzi it convinced me to get it! There is a guy recommended here on this org who sells it at a great price. Email [email protected]

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
964 Posts
I just bought a 2016 2.5i w/ 24,000mi. I drive about 25,000mi/yr It was a subaru certified preowned which has the 7-yr, 100,000 drivetrain warranty. I wasn't going to buy the extended subaru warranty (gold plan) till they offered it to me for $650. I felt it was decent piece of mind if this car turns out to be a nickel and dimer on stuff like A/C components.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cheaper, to just put the $ you would have paid for ext. warranty, in a "savings" account. To be used in case of
car repairs.

Insurance company, is betting you have no issues during the warranty period. That is why they have actuary's.
Odds are they are right. Otherwise, they would be going broke.

So, "Do you feel lucky, or not?". Ha, good luck.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I reluctantly went for the ‘everything’ extended warranty option: $2,500 CAN with no deductible, but with my intent to keep my Forester for ten+ years I feel it will pay for itself. With the cost of electronics, like the eyesight system, not to mention other aspects that will age out, I feel that the value of this warranty will exceed having $2500 in a bank account at 1.0% interest for the 8 years of coverage. The peace of mind has value also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheaper, to just put the $ you would have paid for ext. warranty, in a "savings" account. To be used in case of
car repairs.

Insurance company, is betting you have no issues during the warranty period. That is why they have actuary's.
Odds are they are right. Otherwise, they would be going broke.

So, "Do you feel lucky, or not?". Ha, good luck.:)
As I previously said I generally lose out out on the ext. warranty thing.
It is a good thing but $2K is a lot of ching to fork over. :):cry:

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i MT
241 Posts
"The peace of mind has value also."
I agree. I have never bought an extended warranty in my life (for many of the reasons that others have explained). Until now. Bill Hoeksel at Doug Smith Subaru came down to $1650 (+tax) for the 10yr/100K/$0 Gold Plus Plan. After three years of following this forum, I accumulated too many worries. Peace of mind does have value.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Premium X AT
964 Posts
As I previously said I generally lose out out on the ext. warranty thing.
It is a good thing but $2K is a lot of ching to fork over. :):cry:
Where are you getting the $2k number from? Of course that makes zero sense to buy that warranty at that price, and IMHO, you can definitely haggle them way down on it, like me, getting it for about the bare parts cost of one a/c compressor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts