Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6MT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to change the rear differential gear oil on my 2016 6 speed manual. Picked up a couple of quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant LS 75W-90. Are these good enough? Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,141 Posts
That’s what I use on our two Foresters. No issues. Mobil1 or Subaru oem, and once I used Valvoline.

I’m sticking with M1. Use a bit of silicone sealant on the plug threads and torque to spec. Keeps the plugs from rusting. The FSM calls for Threebond iirc, 1217 gray sealant. Same as the Pcv valve.

·
Registered
'14 Forester XT Touring
593 Posts
Yep. Meets or exceeds factory specs. Simple enough right?
I been using Mobil 1 gear oil in my sports cars and in my XT.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6MT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. My manual rear diff has two 13MM square female plugs. I already have the 2 flat OEM gaskets. Do I really need to use thread sealant? CVT rear diffs have different drain and fill plugs.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,141 Posts
Thanks. My manual rear diff has two 13MM square female plugs. I already have the 2 flat OEM gaskets. Do I really need to use thread sealant? CVT rear diffs have different drain and fill plugs.
No. Sealant is optional but some use Teflon tape, which I don’t like. It breaks down quickly. Sealant preserves the threads and makes it easier to remove the plugs later. They have a tendency to corroded in place. I’d use a torque wrench though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts