Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's more than just condensation. You can see where water intruded through the connector and settled on the board. You guys are getting water under the seat and it's getting in through the connectors. There has to be a water intrusion problem.
This thread is valuable and has me making a mental note to be extra careful when I next clean the carpeting.

I use a small carpet extractor that is primarily marketed for home upholstery cleaning, but is also sold to car detailers. It's very easy to over spray. That's typically a non-issue, but is probably a big deal for the amplifier and cables leading into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m trying to find a difference between the two amp models 86221sg010 and 86221sg110. Only difference I can find is the year of xt’s. Does anyone else know if there are major differences that would cripple my system if I accidentally bought the wrong model for my 14 xt?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 7-month old Forester Touring that lost sound from speakers. Dealer said HK Amp needs replacing; but will take time to get the part. From reading other posts, looks like HK has a bad product!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for this very issue and found this thread. Holy crap, I sure hope I don't have to deal with this multiple times like some of you. On the plus side, I was crazy and bought the extended warranty when I bought my lightly used 2016 Touring, so the repairs shouldn't cost me.
I had this start several months back. I was warming the vehicle up and initially thought my muffler had fallen off due to the racket from the speakers. Since then it's been sporadic, loud crackling and popping in the speakers. Took a few weeks for the dealer just to get the part!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update: hey guys swapped my amp with one from eBay. Didn’t work. Not cool, guess it’s probably head unit or wiring harness. Probably really expensive. I’ll update when I find out, fuses still fine.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
I really need to get in there and clean up the connections and add some grease to the connectors sooner than later - you guys are making me scared!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.
I have a similar problem, I dont get audio from the two front big speakers in the front doors, The tweeter on the dash and all the speakers in the rear doors working.
i measured the resistance from the amp to the speakers an i got around 2 ohms so i guess that speakers and cables are fine.
i opened the amp and couldn't see any obvious damage or cold soldering.

is this also a known phenomenon ?

Erik/Sweden

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi.
I have a similar problem, I dont get audio from the two front big speakers in the front doors, The tweeter on the dash and all the speakers in the rear doors working.
i measured the resistance from the amp to the speakers an i got around 2 ohms so i guess that speakers and cables are fine.
i opened the amp and couldn't see any obvious damage or cold soldering.

is this also a known phenomenon ?

Erik/Sweden
Ok, I can confirm that nothing wrong with the original Subaru/HK amp.
The problem is within my brand new Pioneer AVH-Z5200DAB that have the strangest behavior!
The'r is not full-range audio on the front output, it only sends out the top tweeter signals, this makes the phonecalls sound real bad, and the overall audio disappointing. another strange thing is the stereo dot have a fader function, just balance.

Trying to work out this with pioneer warranty right now. (wish me luck)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update: my amp was the problem. If anyone wants to try the ol putting a newer amp in an older vehicle truck I can tell you it doesn’t work. I tried the -110 in my 14’ and still no sound, sent it back for the -010 model specific to the 14’-15’ and it worked. We’ll see how long it lasts, I put 3 fist size desiccant packs down by the amp to help the condensation issue (hopefully).

Eric with the pioneer, good luck. I almost thought about swapping my entire harman kardon system out for an aftermarket set up just to avoid the fraudulent amp issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just dropped my car off at the dealer for this very issue and found this thread. Holy crap, I sure hope I don't have to deal with this multiple times like some of you. On the plus side, I was crazy and bought the extended warranty when I bought my lightly used 2016 Touring, so the repairs shouldn't cost me.
I had this start several months back. I was warming the vehicle up and initially thought my muffler had fallen off due to the racket from the speakers. Since then it's been sporadic, loud crackling and popping in the speakers. Took a few weeks for the dealer just to get the part!
I've posted in here a couple of times now and just wanted to give an update. After having my amp replaced for the second time, it's been a full year without any issues. The dealer that handled my repairs said that the snow i'm dragging in was most likely the cause, so I just spend a couple of extra seconds kicking off any excess snow on my shoes/boots before hopping into the driver's seat and it looks like my amp was able to survive the 2018 winter.

The dealer did mention however that Subaru is aware of how often/common this issue seems to be, and they told me they would gladly replace/repair it for free if it were to happen again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2016. I am in Texas so no really issues with snow or rain and no apparent corrosion. It started with my microphone going out; I could hear people on calls but they could not hear me. Then speakers went out completely. Radio display, Eyesight, etc. all still work just no sound. After 3 hours at the dealership they told me it as the amp an wanted $1K to fix and they couldn't tell me why it failed and denied that there was any consistent issue with the amp.

Bought a replacement on Ebay and will install on my own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fcheng82 that’s good by your dealership, wish all dealerships were like that! APJ16, that’s crazy how everything stopped working due to the amp. Good to know for the rest of us so we don’t jump to conclusions about replacing things that don’t need to be replaced, amp will probably be the culprit!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2016. I am in Texas so no really issues with snow or rain and no apparent corrosion. It started with my microphone going out; I could hear people on calls but they could not hear me. Then speakers went out completely. Radio display, Eyesight, etc. all still work just no sound. After 3 hours at the dealership they told me it as the amp an wanted $1K to fix and they couldn't tell me why it failed and denied that there was any consistent issue with the amp.

Bought a replacement on Ebay and will install on my own.
Holy crap, 1K to replace an amp is ridiculous!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts