Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 2016 FB25 motor from a legacy that I am swapping into my 2013 forester, does anyone know what the coolant lines circled below in red go to? Posted in my other thread but thought I might get more answers as a stand alone post. Are they to a CVT (which my forester doesnt have)?

2016 motor back.jpg

·
Registered
198 Posts
You may be able to look at the part number/stamping numbers at an online subaru parts site. I have had to do that a number of times for various engine swaps.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be able to look at the part number/stamping numbers at an online subaru parts site. I have had to do that a number of times for various engine swaps.
Thanks Justin. I tried looking up the number (14793AA060) but havent had much luck with diagrams. Looking at the service manual it just describes the hoses as "engine coolant" and doesn't show where they go

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1623994067154.png

Found this image online, if only I could see FIG.154-4 <CVT> and FIG.036-1

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
158 Posts
Okay, just looking around on this. I don't know anything, this is what I found. Looking at the EGR cooler off a 2016 Legacy with CVT.
From an online service manual:
Subaru Legacy Service Manual - Removal - Egr cooler

It appears to me that "engine coolant hose (B)" is:
Engine Coolant Hose - Subaru (99078AB530)
"Outlet. ATF Cooling. Toward EGR Cooler "
2015-2017 Subaru Engine Coolant Hose 99078AB530 | QuirkParts

Trans Cooling Lines SUBARU LEGACY 2017 99078ab530 | eBay

It doesn't look too complex to me. Coolant hose. You can run that number down. If you look up "egr cooler failure", I think you'll find that it won't matter that much. EGR cooler is likely to improve emissions and performance under certain applications of component parts.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, just looking around on this. I don't know anything, this is what I found. Looking at the EGR cooler off a 2016 Legacy with CVT.
From an online service manual:
Subaru Legacy Service Manual - Removal - Egr cooler
View attachment 554053

It appears to me that "engine coolant hose (B)" is:
Engine Coolant Hose - Subaru (99078AB530)
"Outlet. ATF Cooling. Toward EGR Cooler "
2015-2017 Subaru Engine Coolant Hose 99078AB530 | QuirkParts

Trans Cooling Lines SUBARU LEGACY 2017 99078ab530 | eBay

It doesn't look too complex to me. Coolant hose. You can run that number down. If you look up "egr cooler failure", I think you'll find that it won't matter that much. EGR cooler is likely to improve emissions and performance under certain applications of component parts.
Thanks for looking that up! My plan is to connect the two red circles above. If the EGR cooler doesn't get as much flow since the CVT pressure drop isnt there doesnt seem like too big of an issue

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
158 Posts
Thanks for looking that up! My plan is to connect the two red circles above. If the EGR cooler doesn't get as much flow since the CVT pressure drop isnt there doesnt seem like too big of an issue
A couple of things are sloshing around my gourd. This EGR cooler has exhaust gases flowing through and of course cooling water flow. It appears that you already have coolant flow, in the top and out the bottom ? or vice versa. So the open pipe on the block, what is that? Does coolant come out or go in? Then are you connecting pressure to both inlet and outlet of the cooler? So flow direction is really important. I would be tempted to blank off both the block fitting and the extra pipe on the cooler. Just so you don't take cooling away from something else. That's based on wild speculation on my part. As I said, I don't know anything. A Legacy forum might be able to help you pin down the details.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple of things are sloshing around my gourd. This EGR cooler has exhaust gases flowing through and of course cooling water flow. It appears that you already have coolant flow, in the top and out the bottom ? or vice versa. So the open pipe on the block, what is that? Does coolant come out or go in? Then are you connecting pressure to both inlet and outlet of the cooler? So flow direction is really important. I would be tempted to blank off both the block fitting and the extra pipe on the cooler. Just so you don't take cooling away from something else. That's based on wild speculation on my part. As I said, I don't know anything. A Legacy forum might be able to help you pin down the details.
Pretty sure the coolant goes from bottom to top. Looks like it enters the T at the bottom and splits two directions...one to the EGR cooler and one to the CVT. On the one hand I if connect the pipe to the block fitting up top it might create a short circuit for the coolant, on the other hand if do block it off it will send all that flow through the EGR

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5X, 4AT
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thinking im not going to block it off. Dont have a good cap for the EGR / something to handle the pressure of the coolant

1 - 9 of 9 Posts