Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought my wife a 2016 Premium a little over a year ago. I just recently bought an Outback for me that has Apple CarPlay. I knew my wife really liked the CarPlay functionality but we don’t plan on replacing her Forester any time soon. It’s in great shape. So... for Mother’s Day this year momma got an upgrade!

I found a few videos on YouTube that helped with the uninstall of the old unit. That’s when things got
tough. Pioneer provides virtually no instructions because they don’t know what sort of vehicle you’re going to install in.

My saving grace was the company that made the conversion harnesses (Maestro) provided a wiring diagram and some basic instructions. I opted for the unit that enables the steering wheel controls to be retained and I’m glad I did.

Overall, it went pretty smoothly. I did have the reverse camera on the wrong spot. The camera output is a yellow, male RCA jack so I plugged it into the yellow, female RCA port on the back side of the Pioneer Head Unit. Put it in reverse and nothing... so I moved It to the brown “RC IN” port. That worked. Perhaps that means “reverse camera IN”.

The other other trouble I have had is picking up radio signals. I’m not getting many stations. Crutchfield recommend an adapter for the radio so I bought that one. The radio line from the car plugs into it and then there are two lines coming off of the adaptor. One is the antenna wire that goes into the back of the head unit. The other is a blue wire and the diagram shows it getting connected to the blue wire on the wiring harness. So that’s where I connected it. Not sure where else I would put it. Everything else is working well though.

New head unit: Pioneer DMH-2660NEX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Limited, 2007 Impreza Outback Sport SE 5MT
89 Posts
Looks good, I really like the trim panel that fits around the new radio, looks very clean and most people probably wouldn’t be able to tell it was aftermarket

Reactions: acctx

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good, I really like the trim panel that fits around the new radio, looks very clean and most people probably wouldn’t be able to tell it was aftermarket
Thanks! That’s what I was going for. Nothing flashy... just added functionally.

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife said she keeps reaching for the volume knob... but there isn’t one. There is a smooth button on the face of the head unit as well as the steering wheel control.

I did mention the lack of a volume knob to her when we were picking out the head unit and it didn’t bother her at the time. Not sure if she feels differently about it now...

Overall, it’s not a big deal but something to be mindful of if you’re interested in this head unit.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
971 Posts
I still have it. Was thinking about selling it but haven’t done anything with it as of yet.
If / when you go to sell - let me know... Do you have some pics you could send me of the front and back out of the Foz...? I'd want to compare to my head unit and see if I can make it plug n play ...

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If / when you go to sell - let me know... Do you have some pics you could send me of the front and back out of the Foz...? I'd want to compare to my head unit and see if I can make it plug n play ...
I’ll send you a DM.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0i CVT
31 Posts
Did you get the USB port on the forester to work with the new head unit?.

Looks pretty good! May I ask the make/model of that trim panel... or a link to where to get it...

I would like to do some upgrading on my Forester's sound system... I find it lacking, my head unit is a different model to what you had... so I really guess it doesn't have the oomph to drive new speakers and that it might have to go as well.

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get the USB port on the forester to work with the new head unit?.

Looks pretty good! May I ask the make/model of that trim panel... or a link to where to get it...
Thanks!

Here’s a link to the trim panel:

There are cheaper options out there but this was for my wife’s Forester and this is the one she wanted. So that’s what we went with!

Zero issues with the USB. I got an extension from Crutchfield and routed it behind the glove box. So the cord comes out there and then I plugged in a lightning cable to connect to the iPhone. No issues. There’s probably a “cleaner” way to do this but maybe I’ll save that for another day.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2001 Forester L Automatic
89 Posts
Nice! The Apple Car Play is a nice feature and something’s i want to add to my Forester and maybe my Corolla too. I got to try it out in a rental car last summer and decided that’s was something I wanted to do. Just need to get to it!

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0i CVT
31 Posts
Man I was just checking on crutchfield... and it's about $153 just to get the parts and adapters necessary to make an aftermarket head unit to work with our cars!.

So my little project, which would only consist on changing head unit and upgrading to the official kicker speakers with tweeters would set me back about a thousand bucks... wow... not even putting up an amp and a small 8 or 10 inch subwoofer.

I guess I'll put up a paypal link to accept donations hahahaha.

So many things I'd like to do, just don't have the cash to spare to get them done, gotta take it easy and not get ahead of myself...

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So many things I'd like to do, just don't have the cash to spare to get them done, gotta take it easy and not get ahead of myself...
At some point you just wonder if it’s cheaper to get those upgrades when it’s time to get a new vehicle. I’m with you though.

There might be cheaper options out there than Crutchfield. I went with them though because of their package deal and the convenience of knowing which parts were needed and played well with one another. And their tech support is supposedly pretty good as well.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,059 Posts
It's like headlights: Once upon a time, you could replace the whole assembly, housing and all, with a standard stock bulb for five bucks.

I'm happy I got a 2015 Foz with the stock double-DIN head unit, sucky as it was. When the time came, replacement was relatively simple, no trim panels required, and the result looks great IMO. And it was the car's only real weakness; I'm happy now to keep it until it gives up the ghost. Interesting that your install makes your Foz look more like my 2015 (with Sony XAV-AX5000):

·
Registered
2016 Forester CVT
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting that your install makes your Foz look more like my 2015 (with Sony XAV-AX5000):

View attachment 535559
Very true! Probably would have been more straightforward if mine were a 2015... go figure.

You also went the “no knob” route. Makes for a very clean look. Hope we both get to enjoy these for several more years!

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,059 Posts
^
The Sony does have Vol +/- buttons, and my wife has no trouble finding them from the passenger seat. Me, I was already using the steering wheel controls exclusively anyway, so no change there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts