Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester X Premium 6MT (I'll drive an MT as long as my legs work)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing OEM fog light kit PN H4510SG110 on my 2016 X Premium (6MT). I think the kit cost ~$330 but I wasn't concerned with price cause I was buying this kit + sliding center console armrest with a courtesy $500 parts/svc coupon from Subaru. I read several posts in this forum before starting install, and they were all excellent. I didn't video the process cause, it frankly went so fast, but thought I'd share some tips.

For starters, here are all the part numbers that came with the kit:
57731SG020 Right Hand Fog Cover – black (mounts in bumper, surrounds fog light)
57731SG030 Left Hand Fog Cover
84501AJ060 Fog Lamp (qty 2)
82501AG041 Fog lamp relay
83472FJ070VH Panel Switch – black (dashboard switchplate)
H4510FJ000 – Lamp switch
902510032 - J Nut (qty 2)
901000171 – Flange bolt (qty 2)
909310002 – Screw rivet (qty 2)

Next, this kit was 1000% easier to install than the kit I put on my 2010 Forester.

Now some details: There is no need to remove the front bumper. If you remove the plastic push pins and 1 10mm bolt and pull down the bottom corner plastic, there is plenty of room to work. I did have the large plastic skid plate removed for an oil change, this probably made things easier.

It's obvious where the J nut gets slid on. My inclination was to put J nut on so bolt and plastic screw rivet could go in from the front - wrong!! Both need to go in from the back side. I haven't aimed my lights yet, but will again pull down the plastic to reach the adjusters.

There is no need to remove the glove box. Just remove the plastic skirt below the glove box (3 plastic push pins) and look to the left of the blower. You'll see the relay panel. If you crawl under and look at some of the similar relays, you'll easily see the correct orientation to insert fog lamp relay. I cheated and used my Harbor Freight video scope to check relay pin orientation.

Having watched a Youtube video, and read several posts in this forum, installing the fog switch was very easy. You'll need a small flat screw driver and a plastic panel tool (a small putty knife would also work well) to remove the blanks and receptacles for the dimmer and traction switch. As I removed each piece from the old cover plate, I immediately mounted into the new plate.

The 2010 kit required replacing the turn signal stalk. Pain in the butt compared to this kit, and the switch in this kit will likely be more reliable than the twist switch on the stalk.

Total time to install this kit was about 1 hour. Hope these few tips are helpful to others. I may eventually upgrade the fog lamps to the Morimoto XB's, but I'd like to know if that's just a straight lamp replacement or requires other changes.

·
Registered
2017 ForesterXT Vespa
105 Posts
I just finished installing the foglights (not wired up yet) but I was able to install the plastic rivet screw from the front, why do you say you couldn't? But the J nut and bolt had to be installed from the back but that was fine. And I'm curious why the kit had 1 J nut and 1 plastic screw, seems it would be sturdier with 2 J nut and screws.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This was really useful! I just used that PN to find a well priced kit on fleabay. I may upgrade to Morimoto from TRS in the future but those cost as much as the kit I worry about getting the OE stuff installed and lit first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
UPDATE: Kit above is for 16-17 Forester. It works fine in my 2015 except the switch panel doesn't fit my dimmer switch. But the price was right even if I have to buy the correct panel separately (83472FJ010VH)
You can also cut out the spot on your existing switch panel if you got the wrong year kit.
From what I can tell, year breakdown on kits are as follows:

14-15
H4510SG000 (Black)
H4510SG080 (Grey)
H4510SG010 (Black Turbo, for XT bumper)

H4510SG110 (Black, 2016)
H4510SG140 (Grey, 2016)

16-18
H4510SG120 (Black, 16-18)

17-18
H4510SG170 (Grey, facelift bumper)
H4510SG160 (Black, facelift bumper)

·
Registered
2015 Forester i Premium
8 Posts
Anyone following this and experience a gap in between the cover and bulb? I'm concerned snow and other unwanted agents will get in the area and could cause damage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes there is a small Gap there. There are other larger gaps in the bumper cover. Good periodic maintenance would be to inspect those areas after driving in mud, snow or salt and flush them out with fresh water as needed.
However, I did make cardboard templates for some clear plastic cutouts... I will update later this evening with pictures....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was thinking I could window weld an acrylic lense to that lip on the bezel. It's not exactly flat so the acrylic will have to be heat molded so that it lays in there nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts