Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says…. It all started a few months ago after having my brakes done (not immediately after, just giving reference to the fact that these are new pads etc.) on my 2016 forester. It started minuscule enough, when getting in the car to go to work at 5 am they would squeak randomly when first warming up, which I chocked up to just that - cold discs/pads, morning dew or moisture etc. as it would go away and not return… Then slowly the noise became more often, but only when going at lower speeds and only when the brake pedal was within the first 10-20% of its ‘traveling’ range; i.e. lightly braking. It’s now got to the point where is squeaks such a high pitch (nails on the chalkboard) ear piercing, hell-whistle squeal whenever the brakes are touched at whatever speed I’m going - interstate, highway, mountain road (checked for pebbles stuck - none), city, pulling into the driveway - it doesn’t discriminate!
Since it has gotten worse I’ve brought it to my mechanic who said maybe faulty pads and replaced them all, STILL MADE THE NOISE. Well, I had my 60k inspection scheduled with them and mentioned the noise again and they assessed it today while it was in the shop; took all the wheels off, disassembled brakes, checked pads, checked discs for marring abs NOTHING! When I got the car back it did not squeak at all…… for maybe the first 20 miles I drove it and then I heard one squeak when stopping at a light and knew it was back. It’s been back to it’s same old antics since that traffic light and I’m about losing my mind over it as some people can hear it and some can’t!!!’ I can only assume it’s such a high decibel that it’s inaudible for people without acute hearing although when I record it on my phone and play it back, the mechanic can hear it then (same video I will have attached).

This is really really driving me up a wall, on top of some people not being able to hear it & the noise being so clear and blood boiling to me - every freaking time I brake, it seems like nothing will fix it! It doesn’t happen when just driving or turning, only time is when the brake pedal is depressed and it doesn’t matter how fast or slow, turning or straight, it’s there. The only way I can stop it is to slam on the brake pedal applying a lot of force & that will do it, while that much force is being applied that is…

If someone could bring possible light to this hellish noise I would be forever grateful!

Video link!

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
1,061 Posts
When putting the brakes together was brake lube applied everywhere? The ends of the pads, between the pads and the pistons, between the pads and the bracket.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,782 Posts
I would remove pads and check for proper lubrications of pins and other grease points.
Are these Subaru OEM pads/rotors?

Pads may be contaminated with grease or improper installation. Check your brake fluid level. Has the brake fluid been flushed?

Make sure the brake pads are in correct orientation. Inner/outer placement.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Limited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Theseus161 They said everything was checked and double checked. When I brought it in the first time he even replaced everything thinking they might be faulty from the factory… no change :/

When putting the brakes together was brake lube applied everywhere? The ends of the pads, between the pads and the pistons, between the pads and the bracket.
I have not asked that specifically but I can only assume so as they were replaced after I first started hearing it. It’s a reputable place that strives on repeat business. Not some fly by night or chain shop who hires any Joe Schmoe off the street. I can ask tomorrow though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts