Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know at approximately what quantity the oil lamp icon illuminates on a 2016 2.5i (non turbo) Forester Convenience? Owners manual doesn't indicate any numerical info.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,039 Posts
You don't want to depend on it. Keep the oil at the full line. I believe its like 2+ quarts low.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
Us old hippies never want that light lit. It indicates you are getting close to disaster. Low oil pressure is serious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the low oil press light illuminate the other day. Checked the quantity and found it was down 1 quart. There has been no previous issues what so ever so ever with oil consumption / low pressure etc. so I was very surprised. Low oil pressure switches are commonly set to 3 psi (as I understand) but 1 quart low should not lead to low pressure warning...really!?
Bought this car new in 2016. Currently has 85000 miles / 145000 kms. I heard that some boxers have a reputation for unusually high oil use but haven't seen that on this car. So I'm scratching my head and soliciting comments. Any known issues with oil pumps...?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the low oil level light is the yellow oil lamp icon which is what I had....and low oil pressure warning is an other red light not co located? I didn’t get any red warnings just that yellow tea pot caution light. But would that illuminate at 1 quart low? Sorry for the confusion. It’s my wife’s car and my memory is not clear with respect to which caution and warning lights it has.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About 3500 miles. I do regular oil changes at 5000 miles. Oil level between changes has never been an issue. Possible that engine wear has accelerated oil use I suppose but it seems odd that it would be so sudden and substantial. Original question posed was about the level at which low oil caution light would illuminate so I guess it illuminates at 1 quart low.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,784 Posts
I had the low oil press light illuminate the other day. Checked the quantity and found it was down 1 quart. There has been no previous issues what so ever so ever with oil consumption / low pressure etc. so I was very surprised. Low oil pressure switches are commonly set to 3 psi (as I understand) but 1 quart low should not lead to low pressure warning...really!?
Bought this car new in 2016. Currently has 85000 miles / 145000 kms. I heard that some boxers have a reputation for unusually high oil use but haven't seen that on this car. So I'm scratching my head and soliciting comments. Any known issues with oil pumps...?
Thanks for the input.
An oil pump problem isn't going to give you oil loss, just low oil pressure which is unlikely to be an issue.
Oil loss is from:
A leak or two or three
Oil sneaking past worn rings and getting combusted
Head gasket which can either be a leak to the outside or a leak that goes into your coolant.

If you can't find any leaks and your coolant looks normal, all that's left is that the oil is being burned to cause the oil level drop.

As far as when the add oil light comes on, you answered that question for yourself and others. It's one quart.

In my case, my engine uses almost no oil for thousands of miles... IF I don't drive at high speed for much more than an hour or so at a time on the interstate.

On a long trip, driving all day with a lot of mountain travel and high speed interstate, it can easily go through a quart of 0-20 in 1000 miles.

If you have heard of the Subaru excessive oil use lawsuit and settlement, my car qualified, and I took my car in for the oil consumption test.
Free oil change, level check and return the car in 1,200 miles.
More than 1/3 quart used and the lawsuit settlement remedy was a new short block.
I didn't go on any long trips during the test and there was virtually no oil use.
I assumed this would be the case, but it was a free oil change.
After the test, the tech I talked to told me if I wanted a new short block per the settlement to take the car on a long trip, ideally with some mountain driving and he said he could guarantee the car would use enough oil to qualify for the short block. I had already proved that to myself, which is why I originally did the test in the first place.
I seldom go on long trips, so it wasn't worth the hassle for me.

If your sudden oil loss coincided with some extended high speed driving and/or significant mountain travel, you may be encountering the same issue I have.
Oil isn't all that expensive, so the "fix" for me is to check oil more often on a long trip, and bring some with me to keep it full.

Some folks have reported improvement with heavier weight oils, so you could also look into that.

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
353 Posts
In my case, my engine uses almost no oil for thousands of miles... IF I don't drive at high speed for much more than an hour or so at a time on the interstate.

On a long trip, driving all day with a lot of mountain travel and high speed interstate, it can easily go through a quart of 0-20 in 1000 miles.

If you have heard of the Subaru excessive oil use lawsuit and settlement, my car qualified, and I took my car in for the oil consumption test.
Free oil change, level check and return the car in 1,200 miles.
More than 1/3 quart used and the lawsuit settlement remedy was a new short block.
I didn't go on any long trips during the test and there was virtually no oil use.
I assumed this would be the case, but it was a free oil change.
Exact same situation for me. Going along just fine with barely any use then like clockwork on every. single. trip through the mountains of WV, VA and NC my oil light would come on, usually in the middle of nowhere, even when I made sure it was full before I left. Passed the oil consumption test 3 times! My dealership ended up just comping me a bottle of oil at every service so I always had extra on hand.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,784 Posts
@neolynne
Yep - I'm thinking the tech I talked to didn't make his prediction about Subaru oil use due to his psychic abilities...
For some reason when the boxer is running hard it takes to drinkin'...
Does the 2020 have the same trait?

·
Registered
2020 Forester Touring Jasper Green
92 Posts
@neolynne
Yep - I'm thinking the tech I talked to didn't make his prediction about Subaru oil use due to his psychic abilities...
For some reason when the boxer is running hard it takes to drinkin'...
Does the 2020 have the same trait?
Mine is only at 6k and due for it's first change and it's still full. Most of that is trips to the mountains and high speed highway driving too. Haven't been able to do much else with it other than a few months of commuting last winter.

Now in time and with more miles that may change, and with more cold starts (bought last fall), so we'll see. I'm used to topping off Subarus so not a huge concern with me unless the consumption becomes really excessive (more than a qt per 1k). Hopeful they fixed the consumption issues for the latest NA engines. If I have to move to 30 weight oil after 100k or something then that's fine.

I put 40 weight in the 05LGT sedan to keep consumption low and I still have it. It's at 155k miles and going strong at stg 2. Someday it will fail but I cant complain after 15 years with it. Doesn't burn much either. Not like the wagon did. That was a qt per 1k roughly. Depending on how hard I flogged it or how much high speed highway driving it did. Both burned it. Around town it was prob half that.

Good to know they improved the low oil warning design. You didn't want the light to ever come on on the EJ's! Not that I want to test that theory w the new foz, lol.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
73 Posts
Illuminates on pressure, not quantity. Likely in the vicinity of around 1.5-3 psi.
you're missing the point, there are 2 separate warning lights - red low oil pressure = stop immediately to prevent disaster, and yellow low oil level = add some oil soon. (my '17 Owners Manual does a very poor job of making this clear, however; I don't blame you)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
73 Posts
Mine is only at 6k and due for it's first change and it's still full. Most of that is trips to the mountains and high speed highway driving too. Haven't been able to do much else with it other than a few months of commuting last winter.

Now in time and with more miles that may change, and with more cold starts (bought last fall), so we'll see. I'm used to topping off Subarus so not a huge concern with me unless the consumption becomes really excessive (more than a qt per 1k). Hopeful they fixed the consumption issues for the latest NA engines. If I have to move to 30 weight oil after 100k or something then that's fine.

I put 40 weight in the 05LGT sedan to keep consumption low and I still have it. It's at 155k miles and going strong at stg 2. Someday it will fail but I cant complain after 15 years with it. Doesn't burn much either. Not like the wagon did. That was a qt per 1k roughly. Depending on how hard I flogged it or how much high speed highway driving it did. Both burned it. Around town it was prob half that.

Good to know they improved the low oil warning design. You didn't want the light to ever come on on the EJ's! Not that I want to test that theory w the new foz, lol.
my speculation (delusion?) as the owner of an FA20DIT is that my car was engineered with tougher piston rings, tighter head gaskets, 5W-30 oil, etc. to survive high performance turbo driving, without worrying about the last 1/10th MPG for EPA ratings, while the FB25 non-turbos being 90+% of sales had to have every fuel-economy trick in the book thrown at them to get good-looking numbers. (I've actually had a Subaru dealer wrongly put 5.5 qts of 0W-20 into mine; luckily I caught it on the receipt and they were honest in admitting it was a real mistake not just a typo)

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium 6MT
72 Posts
Interesting to hear that automatics also go through oil with high speed and/or mountain driving. I thought it only affected manuals. I check my oil level every 1000 miles. On long out of town trips I check it every 500 miles. I try to keep the oil level between full and 1/4 below full mark.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
771 Posts
IMO, It really shouldn’t be too surprising that engines run at length under stress (high rpm, under heavy load, etc.) frequently use more oil in the process than engines under less stress...

·
Registered
2020 Touring as of 8/28/2020!
353 Posts
IMO, It really shouldn’t be too surprising that engines run at length under stress (high rpm, under heavy load, etc.) frequently use more oil in the process than engines under less stress...
Well, of course one would expect that. But a quart or more? In one trip? My first and second Forester never did this, even on the same route which I travel frequently. Didn’t make me enjoy the car less. I just had to be prepared.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts