Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2017 VW GTI Sport
320 Posts
Most of the videos on YouTube are for the turbo. In one of the non-turbo videos I noticed that the guy fills up front differential from the top. I mean from the hood. The fill plug is way down so he uses a tube and a long funnel. Its slow but it works. Have you checked, if its possible to fill up from the top?
On the XT, the front diff can be filled from the top via an air breather tube that points up/vertical. It's fairly deep in the engine bay, but as you saw in the video, you can get to it with a flexible funnel or vinyl tube and funnel.

On the 2.5, the fill port is facing the wheel, horizontally. Maybe one could fish a tube down from the top and bend it to fill from there, but I'm not really sure...

Somewhere around, there is an overfill plug as well, right? Can you point to that plug in one of the pictures, if possible?
I marked up StanF's original picture with front overflow plug:

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes it does. It is part of the transmission.
It must be part of the front differential. There is no mention of a center differential in the FSM. The only maintenance items are the front and rear differential fluid.

StanF

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
On the 2.5, the fill port is facing the wheel, horizontally. Maybe one could fish a tube down from the top and bend it to fill from there, but I'm not really sure...
I agree with @XTTX on this. It would be very difficult to fill the front differential from the top on the TR580 transmission. I took off the front passenger wheel to get access to the fill plug. This made it very easy.

StanF

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update:

Well, it's been a year and another 30,000 miles so I did another front and rear differential oil change today. I just want to update everyone on the super tech semi synthetic 75w 90 gear oil that I used on my last change.

When I drained the supertech oil it looked great. There was barely any discoloration and the oil looked almost brand new. I didn't have any issues running supertech brand oil over the last 30,000 miles.

When I went to the Walmart store today they had a new full synthetic version of the 75w 90 gear oil for the same price - $5.17 / qt.

The quart bottle had the WPP symbol embossed on the bottom so I suspect that this full synthetic gear oil is also made by the same Warren Performance Products that makes the full synthetic Super Tech motor oil.

One thing that I did differently is that I bought a spout to make it easier to fill the differentials with the oil. It screwed right onto the top of the quart bottle and had a long clear plastic hose that made it much easier to handle the hose and bottle without spilling any of the gear oil.

Overall, I'm pleased with the super tech gear oil and I think it would be possible to go 60,000 miles or more between changes. However, my OCD won't allow me to go beyond the recommended 30,000 miles! That being said, I'm confident that this new full synthetic oil will work well for the next thirty thousand miles.

StanF

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
Great article and write up, Stan!

When I did my rear diff, I bought a 3 pack of 150ml plastic syringes.

I poured the gear oil into a glass jar. I sucked up the oil straight into the syringe. I then offered up the syringe to the upper hole and squirted the oil straight into the diff. I did this several times until I reached the correct level. I found doing it this way created virtually zero mess and spills. The link below shows what I bought. The other syringes can be used for adding or removing brake fluid, etc.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CHDN9N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
613 Posts
Update:

Well, it's been a year and another 30,000 miles so I did another front and rear differential oil change today. I just want to update everyone on the super tech semi synthetic 75w 90 gear oil that I used on my last change.

When I drained the supertech oil it looked great. There was barely any discoloration and the oil looked almost brand new. I didn't have any issues running supertech brand oil over the last 30,000 miles.

When I went to the Walmart store today they had a new full synthetic version of the 75w 90 gear oil for the same price - $5.17 / qt.

The quart bottle had the WPP symbol embossed on the bottom so I suspect that this full synthetic gear oil is also made by the same Warren Performance Products that makes the full synthetic Super Tech motor oil.

One thing that I did differently is that I bought a spout to make it easier to fill the differentials with the oil. It screwed right onto the top of the quart bottle and had a long clear plastic hose that made it much easier to handle the hose and bottle without spilling any of the gear oil.

Overall, I'm pleased with the super tech gear oil and I think it would be possible to go 60,000 miles or more between changes. However, my OCD won't allow me to go beyond the recommended 30,000 miles! That being said, I'm confident that this new full synthetic oil will work well for the next thirty thousand miles.

StanF
Color of oil has nothing to do with viscosity and protection performance. Diff has no combustion, carbon to discolor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@Menel,
I agree that the color of the oil does not indicate the viscosity or protective properties of the oil. These would need to be measured via a UOA. The purpose of my comment was that the Super Tech oil looked very clean and still new after 30k miles, compared to the factory fill oil that I changed on the first replacement which was dirty and disgusting.

If anything, it tells me that we should replace the factory fill oil sooner rather than later. All things being equal, I would rather have clean oil than dirty in my diffs!

StanF

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
183 Posts
^ Stan, again, thanks for your efforts here!!

I haven't done the front diffs on any of my Subarus yet, but my experience with the rears have mirrored yours. The factory fill comes out dark and streaky looking on the rear diffs and any subsequent drain/fill stays golden and much cleaner looking. The majority of the wear materials are going to be in that first drain anyway, so you'd expect that.

·
Registered
2012 forester
1 Posts
2012 Forester 2.5X

Group. My local oil change depot inadvertently drained my ATF instead of oil and filled my front differential with ATF. They did not refill my ATF during the process...

Drove a mile or two and knew something was wrong. When the tech pointed out where he put the ATF, it was the the diff. dipstick.

Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Forester
12 Posts
Any thoughts on getting a stuck fill plug loose?

Took off the passenger side tire so I could get at it easily and couldnt get the plug to budge even with a 2ft pipe slipped over my breaker bar.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
721 Posts
OP, great write up and pics, I used to do this stuff myself but lately paying to get it done. The independent shop that did my diffs noted same thing, rear was nasty dirty, front differential oil was not nearly as dirty looking, strange. Since Forester is biased more towards front driving (WRX/STI) biased more towards rear wheel drive, it would seem logical that the front diff oil would be dirtier. As stated both diffs have magnetic drain plugs.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
461 Posts
Finally, the FSM is extremely easy to download from the Subaru Technical Information site.
Did you use a script or something to download the FSM in pieces and work around download restrictions, or is it available as one file now?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Did you use a script or something to download the FSM in pieces and work around download restrictions, or is it available as one file now?
The FSM is available as a series of PDF files now. I had to download each section one by one. I don't remember running into any download restrictions, but it was time consuming. I had purchased a 3 day subscription and I just sat there and viewed and saved each one. I didn't use any scripts or anything. It was actually pretty easy.

StanF

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
563 Posts
Nice diy write up but to be clear, there are three plugs to service the front diff on 2.5i cvt Foresters?
Drain, fill and over flow?
Do all three use gaskets? Two are the same as the rear diff correct?
The Subaru parts website only shows two. thanks

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Touring
15 Posts
Nice diy write up but to be clear, there are three plugs to service the front diff on 2.5i cvt Foresters?
Drain, fill and over flow?
Do all three use gaskets? Two are the same as the rear diff correct?
The Subaru parts website only shows two. thanks
Thesaurus-- yes and the fill plug is the unique one, the drain and overflow use the same. The numbers are in this post. 060 is drain and flow, 090 is for fill. Apparently no gasket for rear diff.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts