Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Did this post help you update your head-unit?

• Yes - I have a different year/nav-equipped unit, but was able to get it from jdog81

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I contacted jdog81, but he did not have the files I needed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all Jasonn thanks for your time for this post. I have a European 2015 Subaru Forester and the file I need is PE9909. I have contacted Jdog81 and looking for his response. I found the service bulletin for European cars I think. The name of the filed is "SB16-006-1rEP.pdf". I can not send links sorry, I'm a newbie in the forum. I will write the result as soon as I finf the files I needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased a 2016 Forester. I’m unable to enter into diagnostics mode using the procedure outlined in the PDF (Hold home and press Audio five times). Tried when car was running and when just on battery. Anything I’m missing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone have access to the files NU9914_USB_1st.zip and NU9914_USB_2nd.zip for the 2016MY Forester w/ F10 7” NAVI ?

·
Registered
2016 Forester
1 Posts
Does anyone have the latest 2016 non-nav Forester update files? I think they are:

OU9914_USB_1st.exe (FK7_MY16_FOR DISPLAY AUDIO #1)
OU9914_USB_2nd.exe (FK7_MY16_FOR DISPLAY AUDIO #2)

I can provide a Google Drive upload link via PM or if you already have a download link that works - whatever is easiest!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Forester Non-NAV Head-unit update & Gracenote (Rev 7633 current as of 5/24/18)

Edit:
This area is for me to confirm files that jdog81 has successfully sent people:
OU9016_USB_1st.exe and OU9016_USB_2nd.exe (2015 Legacy/Outback without NAV)
If I have OU9016 software, can I update OU9019? Outback 2015

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Just purchased a 2016 Forester. I’m unable to enter into diagnostics mode using the procedure outlined in the PDF (Hold home and press Audio five times). Tried when car was running and when just on battery. Anything I’m missing?
IIRC, you hold some touch screen side button and then press the volume knob in a few times - check out YouTube videos on it.

If I have OU9016 software, can I update OU9019? Outback 2015
Not really sure what you're asking. Assuming the OU9019 is just a more recent update for your specific car model and NAV, yes you can update it. If OU9019 does not match your specific car model and NAV, I'm not sure the updater will allow you to update using it. Of course if it lets you and you update with a different one than is specific to your model/NAV you may just brick your screen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there, I'm new to Subaru and also just purchased a 2016 Forester Convenience package (in Canada) and same issue, holding down home button and pressing the tuning knob 5 times doesn't do anything. Any idea what's up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there, I'm new to Subaru and also just purchased a 2016 Forester Convenience package (in Canada) and same issue, holding down home button and pressing the tuning knob 5 times doesn't do anything. Any idea what's up?
I found this VERY detailed procedure: reprogramming-file-availability-to-address-operational-concerns-with-gen-2-0-and-gen-2-1-fujitsu-ten-f10-denso-ten-d10-navigation-and-7-display-audio
Looks like it needs to register the USB BEFORE you do the button procedure.

Now, If I can get my hands on the 9914 version of software, I'll be set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
IIRC, you hold some touch screen side button and then press the volume knob in a few times - check out YouTube videos on it.
Unfortunately, none of the YouTube vids I've seen reflect the same version of the software I seem to have. Completely different interface. The only way to tell if it sees the Usb is if I go to the Audio menu and try to have I look for music.Even tried going straight through the settings menu too.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2016 Forester
4 Posts
I'm running into the same problem as the previous posters with my 2016 DA. I've been trying to follow the Youtube video or old thread but I can't access the Diagnosis Mode even if I insert the USB stick. I'm currently trying to see if I can upgrade to 15-206-16 but it looks like 15-205-16R is even more recent. Unfortunately nobody has shared those files yet.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Unfortunately, none of the YouTube vids I've seen reflect the same version of the software I seem to have. Completely different interface. The only way to tell if it sees the Usb is if I go to the Audio menu and try to have I look for music.Even tried going straight through the settings menu too.
If the USB cannot be recognized, it may be due to its size or file format. I think I mentioned this in my first post, but it is also in the TSB on what kind of USB to use. Good luck. I don't maintain this thread anymore because all of the files from 2018 are out-of-date. I know because I got my stereo updated in late 2019. If you are serious about updating your audio unit you need to go to a dealership (free if you are still under the 3 year / 36k mile warranty, and ~$150 if you are out of warranty). Keep in mind that updating is a band-aid fix as the files will always be behind the Subaru employee login.

For a permanent fix you should also consider upgrading to a aftermarket double dinn stereo unit, though this would be be significantly more expensive. It would also provide a much better experience, and would be way better than the stock Subaru stereo unit.

·
Registered
2016 Forester (Hopefully)
9 Posts
If the USB cannot be recognized, it may be due to its size or file format. I think I mentioned this in my first post, but it is also in the TSB on what kind of USB to use. Good luck. I don't maintain this thread anymore because all of the files from 2018 are out-of-date. I know because I got my stereo updated in late 2019. If you are serious about updating your audio unit you need to go to a dealership (free if you are still under the 3 year / 36k mile warranty, and ~$150 if you are out of warranty). Keep in mind that updating is a band-aid fix as the files will always be behind the Subaru employee login.

For a permanent fix you should also consider upgrading to a aftermarket double dinn stereo unit, though this would be be significantly more expensive. It would also provide a much better experience, and would be way better than the stock Subaru stereo unit.
Hey Jason. Thanks for this nice write up. We have a 2016 Premium with Eyesight and we'd like a double dimm CarPlay compatible unit. Do you know of a reasonably priced unit that also has the built-in Sirius XM functionality without an aftermarket antenna. Crutchfield said I needed to buy a $70 seperate Sirius antenna/adapter. Why can't I use the existing XM capability already in the car? Thanks in advance for your recommendation

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hey Jason. Thanks for this nice write up. We have a 2016 Premium with Eyesight and we'd like a double dimm CarPlay compatible unit. Do you know of a reasonably priced unit that also has the built-in Sirius XM functionality without an aftermarket antenna. Crutchfield said I needed to buy a $70 seperate Sirius antenna/adapter. Why can't I use the existing XM capability already in the car? Thanks in advance for your recommendation
I would recommend reading around the CarAV subreddit and based on your budget/priorities make a decision that way. You can even make a post and have someone with more experience recommend you a head unit based on your budget/priorities. Crutchfield may have said you need a separate sirius antenna because it may not be compatible with the aftermarket head-unit.

There are interesting threads on that subreddit like reliable head-unit brands, comments explaining how to choose between different head units, post asking for advice on what to buy and someone explaining how to best use crutchfield

Good luck!

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm running into the same problem as the previous posters with my 2016 DA. I've been trying to follow the Youtube video or old thread but I can't access the Diagnosis Mode even if I insert the USB stick. I'm currently trying to see if I can upgrade to 15-206-16 but it looks like 15-205-16R is even more recent. Unfortunately nobody has shared those files yet.
Just watched that YouTube video you linked and shows the update process at 1:25. I did notice that the guy pressed the tuning button six times instead of five though so maybe that was the issue?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)

Your USB stick has to be formatted as FAT32 and I covered this in the original post.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Forester XS
2 Posts
I tried this guide, but figured out that the files are region based. When I get to the point where you have to press OK to update, it never turns black. So Im assuming that it's region based. I live in South Africa. I also phoned the dealers here and they said that they dont have the files and therefor don't do the updates. This is really bad from our dealers' side. I contacted jdog81, in the hopes to find the correct files with high hopes, but let's see. I really don't want to go and put a third party radio in at this point. You apparently loose your steering controls and USB function. I actually just want my Gracenote database updated. It's not showing any of my album art when playing music.
Good guide though.Thanks jasonn

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Forester XS
2 Posts
I tried this guide, but figured out that the files are region based. When I get to the point where you have to press OK to update, it never turns black. So Im assuming that it's region based. I live in South Africa. I also phoned the dealers here and they said that they dont have the files and therefor don't do the updates. This is really bad from our dealers' side. I contacted jdog81, in the hopes to find the correct files with high hopes, but let's see. I really don't want to go and put a third party radio in at this point. You apparently loose your steering controls and USB function. I actually just want my Gracenote database updated. It's not showing any of my album art when playing music.
Good guide though.Thanks jasonn
For those interested in seeing my version info:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts