Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Did this post help you update your head-unit?

• Yes - I have a different year/nav-equipped unit, but was able to get it from jdog81

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I contacted jdog81, but he did not have the files I needed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Forester Non-NAV Head-unit update & Gracenote (Rev 7633 current as of 5/24/18)

Hello! I am creating this thread as a how-to guide for people with the 2016 Forester Non-Nav on how to update their head-unit. This is mainly for people out of warranty, as if you are under the 3 year/36,000 mile (which ever comes first) warranty, the dealer "should" do it for you. The trend (from reading online) seems like most dealers are not aware of this update, or may not think it is worth the effort (remember they try to maximize profit based on how much labor time/charge SoA (Subaru of America) assigns the work, and how much time it actually takes them). In other words, even if SoA assigns a 1 hour labor designation for a belt replacement, a tech who has done it a bunch of times and is skilled enough to do it in 5 minutes would be getting paid for the completion of the job (not necessarily the time spent). This update is given 0.6 hrs by SoA, but I believe if one were doing it for the first time, 0.6 hrs is extremely optimistic.

If you are under warranty and can prove that your head-unit is not up-to-date (you can tell by going into diagnosis mode > service info > version info > DA push and comparing the Nor/eSD numbers with those in the TSB - if they match the TSB file name numbers, you are up-to-date), if your dealer says it is "not necessary," you can escalate the issue with Subaru of America to have them pressure your dealer into doing it. It is not an issue of whether or not it is "necessary" as it has an assigned labor time, and operation number (A031-128) that you can see on page 20 of the TSB file. I just emailed Subaru of America this a two days ago and they said if the head-unit is not up-to-date and the dealer says it is not necessary, the dealer still has to do it.

I have not been able to find a guide on how to perform this update anywhere on the Internet in the past week (much less any update files). I estimate that Subaru changed Subarunet to only be accessible with a login (only Subaru employees have one - you cannot "register") in early 2017 (you can tell from reddit question ages and old links to update files). Consequently, the update files that were once available to the public with Technical service bulletin 15-205-16 are no longer available.

The link that used to work up until the end of 2016 was https://content.subarunet.com/snet/business/service/forms/audio_downloads.htm. It now gives you a 404 error.

Subaru employees/technicians now login via https://www.subarunet.com/. It seems like they would look for something along the lines of Service>>Forms / Downloads>>Downloads for Audio/Navi (from 15-205-16 TSB) if they were actually performing the update for you.

The reason why I said this guide is for people with the 2016 forester with non-nav headunit is because I have just recently gotten access to [only] these files and will be posting them in a link at the end for anyone interested to download. You are free to use this guide if you have a different year/navigation head-unit, but most of the information in this post is also in the TSB guide.

I am uploading these links assuming I will not be given a DMCA take-down notice.

It seems like the reason why no one has their own specific files, much less the other vehicle files is because when people go to get their head-units updated at the dealer, the technician does not share their USB with the customer at any point.

Of course someone could have downloaded all of the update files back when they were public in 2016, but at ~300 MB per file, it is highly unlikely anyone would have download more than what they needed, or kept the files after they did the update themselves.

The best person to contact for files however is someone on the Subaru Legacy forums. You need to send him a PM with your email address and the specific file name of the update files you need (e.g. If I had a 2016 Outback with navigation, I would ask in the PM for NU9309_USB_1st.exe and NU9309_USB_2nd.exe).

If you do not send specify the specific file name, do not be surprised to not get a response back as the last few pages of the thread are people basically begging for files.

I asked him what files he had and he said he mostly has files for the legacy/outback so there's a chance he gets back to you and says he does not have the file you need.

Partial how-to guide (should be used in conjunction with TSB PDF file):
Download the TSB 15-205-16. Follow the directions to see if you are up-to-date.

To get into diagnostics mode, hold the home touch-sensor button, then press the Audio/Tune knob 5 times. From there, click the following: Service Information > Version Information > PUSH (to the right of DA).

Compare numbers for Nor/eSD with the update files for your specific vehicle in the TSB (e.g. if you have a 2016 forester with non-nav, Nor/eSD will say OU9909 - it matches the table entry so it is up-to-date).

In the case the number in Nor/eSD do not match the table values for your specific vehicle, you are not up-to-date. If you have a 2016 forester with no navigation, congrats, you got lucky and can just download the files located below. If not, you will have to get into contact with Jdog81 and hope he has your file and decides to email you a link to download the files (~300 MB each).

Once you have the files, extract them to two folders (I just did two folders named update 1, update 2). The reason why is because you have to copy over the extracted files over to a FAT32 formatted USB (usually old USB's that are <4 GBs - the newer ones don't even have an option to format at FAT32. The newer/larger USBs are usually NTFS or exFAT. These will NOT be recognized by your car when you plug them in) one update folder at a time to update (it is a two-step update).

*USB drive has to be formatted as FAT32 (my computer > right click USB drive > format > file system > select FAT32). Make sure the USB drive is empty except for the extracted update files
I have read of people online getting drives that are larger than the 4GB limit on the TSB to work, but I think FAT32 is non-negotiable (car can't recognize any other file system)

*There can only be ONE Update File stored on each flash drive or the update procedure will not work. If you see more than one Update File stored, start over by re-formatting the flash drive again and reloading the Update File you are trying to install.

Assuming you moved the files over to a USB you digged around your house for, you plug it into the car's USB port, open diagnostics mode, then follow the TSB instructions on updating. At the end, you can confirm you have completed both update files successfully by either checking the Nor/eSD version #'s, or by just going trying to run the update again. You will see a page like this.

Update file #1, aka OU9909_USB_1st.exe
Update file #2, aka OU9909_USB_2nd.exe
TSB 15-205-16

Here is a reddit comment thread that shows the process of how I figured all of this out (I am reddit user jkxs). Some information will probably be repeated, but if you're really interested...

Lastly, if you found this guide to be helpful, please give me and jdog81 some credit when sharing this (instead of just copy pasting it somewhere, please share the thread link). I was only able to receive the update files due to jdog81 and so without him, I would have never wrote this guide. Please feel free to share your experiences in this thread and fill out the poll! If you were able to get files from jdog81, please post what specific file names you got so someone in the future may contact you if they need it as well. If jdog81 said he did not have your specific files, please also share what files you requested so jdog81 does not get 500 messages asking for files he has already said he does not have.

I'm not sure if sharing this with Subaru of America or your dealer is the best idea, but at the same time, I don't think I'm doing anything wrong sharing DIY information on files that used to be public. I am going to my dealer in two days (reoccuring TPMS issue) and see if I can get more update files for you guys, but I probably won't get them considering I would need to use their login, how big the files are (300 MB each) and how many total there are (28). That's 26 files, or ~8 GB of files!!!

Edit:
This area is for me to confirm files that jdog81 has successfully sent people:
OU9016_USB_1st.exe and OU9016_USB_2nd.exe (2015 Legacy/Outback without NAV)

Also to add files for other years/models/NAV:
2016 WRX with NAV: NU9208_USB_1st.exe and NU9208_USB_2nd.exe
OU9019_USB_1st.exe and OU9019_USB_2nd.exe (2015 Legacy without NAV)

Gracenote (Rev 7633 - confirmed most current as of 5/24/2018 on 2018 Forester XT)
For the Gracenote install, once you have extracted the files, make sure the only folder on your USB is gracenote_data (when you first extract it is GN_NU_7633/gracenote_data so just copy paste the gracenote_data folder onto your USB. It will not recognize the USB files if you extract the files straight to the USB as your car is looking for the folder named "gracenote_data". In other words, it is not "smart enough" to detect that gracenote_data is in that GN_NU_7633 folder.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Ltd Tech CVT
516 Posts
After you completed the upgrade, does your SiriusXM show album art?

I'm on NU9911 on my 2016 w/ nav. I know that was fixed on the 2017 firmware.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After you completed the upgrade, does your SiriusXM show album art?

I'm on NU9911 on my 2016 w/ nav. I know that was fixed on the 2017 firmware.
NU9911 is the most up-to-date version for a 2016 Forester with NAV (you can check the table).

No. SiriusXM has never shown album art. I believe album art is through Gracenote. I know when I tried switching to CD it said "powered by Gracenote" under the album art before fading away. In my case, the album art for Taylor Swift's reputation CD did not load. It may be because Gracenote's last update was in 2016(?) and the CD I had in there was released in 2017. If you put in an older CD, the album art may load.

Bluetooth connection (via Spotify) usually shows album art, or a photo of the artist. I have never used "aha" or "Pandora" so I do not know what those are like.

I have attached photos of what the different menus (FM/AM/SiriusXM/Bluetooth) look like on my car that is up-to-date.

Sweeeet. Will be checking mine and possibly updating tonight.
Find a USB that can be formatted as FAT32 first. It will probably have to be an old USB from a few years ago as the newer ones can't be formatted to FAT32. You can't do anything if you don't have that. Hopefully this will save you some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's unfortunate. I guess they didn't include that feature in the firmware builds for the 2016s. It's really the only thing that annoys me with the factory head unit.

There is a Gracenote update available. It used to be on Subarunet but it's a 404 now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/subaru/comments/5qdyi2/gracenote_database_update/
Yes, I saw that exact same thread, but believe it is older due to this post. I will ask about this at my service appointment on Friday though (I have database revision 5951 instead of the most up-to-date 7633).

Edit:
I did some digging and found the relevant TSB for Gracenote (15-208-17). 7633 is the most up-to-date database revision for all cars (see table on page 3/4). You can tell what your head unit's gracenote database revision is by following this picture guide that was made by reddit user phareth in this thread..

Note in the TSB it clearly says on page 1: **Any charges to install the Gracenote enhancement files are not a matter for warranty and are strictly between the Retailer and the customer. In other words, if your dealer doesn't want to do it, you're not getting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
34 Posts
Downloaded the files, followed the instructions, ran the update, and voted in the poll above. Thanks Jasonn for this. I don't even know if I'll see any of the benefits of the software update but fingers crossed that Mirrorlink and Bluetooth operation work/improve.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have just gotten access to the following files:
NU9208_USB_1st.exe and NU9208_USB_2nd.exe (2016 WRX with NAV)

Gracenote (most up-to-date revision 7633)

The files will be added to the original post for future reference.

Edit: just did the update. Took about 10 minutes for the install once started.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my appointment at my dealer's service department this morning. They would not give me access to the other files unfortunately (they still make money off of it).

I was surprised to learn that there was a more up-to-date head unit file for my 2016 Forester w/o Nav however (OU9913). The TSB 15-205-16 from late 2016 said that for my specific vehicle head unit w/o nav, OU9909 was most up-to-date. It seems like Subaru has updated the head-unit software since late 2016, but I do not have a TSB related to 15-205-16 that is more recent.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, thank you for taking the time and energy to post this thread and the files. I registered just to provide some feedback.

I'm updating the wife's 2016 Forester, Non-NAV from version 9905. The process went without a hitch except for one thing, I cannot get the CAN info to update. My screenshot is attached.

I see in Jason's images above, he has the same condition. Is this an issue?

Oh, and I also wanted to note that the 2nd USB had three (3) files on it where-as your instructions said only one, which was correct for the 1st USB.

Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello;

I have Europan Subaru forester 2017 non—nav 7” head unit. My software version pe9408 unit model on dash ff988lm

Can you anyone check software update. please send link or file.

Power vcl 66.0205
Backup DB pe9408
VCL_para 07.45
Power 02.1026
CAN no information
Power boot 02.1117

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
First off, thank you for taking the time and energy to post this thread and the files. I registered just to provide some feedback.

I'm updating the wife's 2016 Forester, Non-NAV from version 9905. The process went without a hitch except for one thing, I cannot get the CAN info to update. My screenshot is attached.

I see in Jason's images above, he has the same condition. Is this an issue?

Oh, and I also wanted to note that the 2nd USB had three (3) files on it where-as your instructions said only one, which was correct for the 1st USB.

Thanks again!
Hi Severe, sorry for the late response. The CAN info is not an issue. Yes, that sounds about right - the 2nd USB had 3 files once extracted. Please note that even though I updated the audio firmware myself at home, when I got to the dealer, they actually had a more-recent update available. If you are still under warranty (3 years/36,000), I would get it done through the dealer as more recent update files are not available to the public.

I have just gotten access to the following files:
OU9019_USB_1st.exe and OU9019_USB_2nd.exe (2015 Legacy without NAV)

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Prem
4 Posts
Hi Guys! Just had my 2016 Forester Non-NAV Head unit updated by dealer and now my info says OU9913 which should be latest but yet nothing seems any different. My suspicion is that they didn’t complete the process because it seems they didn’t perform a memory initialization. All my presets were are still there and phone was still paired. Should I know do a memory initialization to complete the upgrade?

Thanks,

Iamwally

·
Registered
2016 Forester AT
1 Posts
Hi, I looking for files for Forester 2016MY with Nav (NU9911_USB_1st.exe NU9911_USB_2nd.exe).
Can anybody share that files?

Thank you
Arek

·
Registered
2016 Forester
115 Posts
Thank you for sharing this information. I've found that TSB 15-205-16R, dated Aug 21, 2018 is now listed on the techinfo.subaru.com website. I assume this is a revision to 15-205-16 and may or may not include updated firmware numbers.

I am planning to perform the 15-208-17 Gracenote update to 7633 as soon as I get a USB drive to perform it with. My head unit with nav is on NU9906 so I'd also like to update it to NU9911 or whatever is current on 15-205-16R. I'd feel much better doing it myself than letting the dealer do it (with the possible exception of risking running down the battery since I wouldn't have the battery on a charger while doing the updates). I worked in a transportation field that required frequent database updates for navigation and other functions. There were times where I was responsible for performing these updates, and times when maintenance personnel were. I found that the maintenance personnel were often impatient and usually failed to properly finalize or verify the update after installing it, which sometimes caused issues. I'm afraid the same might be true of the dealership, but it looks like I'll probably have to rely on them to perform the update.

·
Registered
2016 Forester
115 Posts
For the Gracenote install, once you have extracted the files, make sure the only folder on your USB is gracenote_data (when you first extract it is GN_NU_7633/gracenote_data so just copy paste the gracenote_data folder onto your USB. It will not recognize the USB files if you extract the files straight to the USB as your car is looking for the folder named "gracenote_data". In other words, it is not "smart enough" to detect that gracenote_data is in that GN_NU_7633 folder.)
I've been trying the Gracenote update several times, and I keep getting the "The Gracenote database could not be read. Please check the USB flash drive." message. The smallest USB drive I had was 8GB, so I tried it first. It is a PNY and I had issues with PNY drives in the past, so I bought a new SanDisk 16GB drive (smallest I could find). The head unit in the Sub is recognizing the USB drive and the name I assigned it when erasing and reformatting it, but I still get the message and it won't update.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Ltd Tech CVT
516 Posts
I've been trying the Gracenote update several times, and I keep getting the "The Gracenote database could not be read. Please check the USB flash drive." message. The smallest USB drive I had was 8GB, so I tried it first. It is a PNY and I had issues with PNY drives in the past, so I bought a new SanDisk 16GB drive (smallest I could find). The head unit in the Sub is recognizing the USB drive and the name I assigned it when erasing and reformatting it, but I still get the message and it won't update.
What is the drive formatted as? I had issues and had to use FAT16, I believe.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts