Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had Subaru update the firmware on my HU today as per TSB 15-205-16 to see if Mirrorlink works with my Galaxy Note 5. It works!!! Since the purchase of my forester a year and a half ago, all I've wanted to do is use Google Maps for turn-by-turn directions through the display (since this is what I was told it could do by the salesman before I bought it - what a liar). Well, 18 months and a BBB complaint later, this update finally brings mirrorlink on the HU to 1.1. This enables all the newer Samsung phones to connect to it. There are not many apps that are compatible with Mirrorlink, but I found a Youtube video that shows you how to simply mirror your phone to the HU display in order to use any app. All you have to do is install 2 small & free apps from the playstore.

Google maps works great! The turn by turn voice is sent through the car speakers and the nav map is shown on the HU display.

Here's the video that shows you how to mirror your phone's display:

The video shows the HU on a 2017, but it's the same as the 2016 forester HU - with the update.

Good luck!!!
Eric

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
Can you give a guide on the apps you used to get it working.

Which Phone models and Android versions are required?

·
Registered
2016 Forester
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5 running Adroid 6.0.1 and Mirrorlink 1.1. I believe most if not all Android phones on the market today that have Mirrorlink run Mirrorlink 1.1. So any Samsung phone should now work. I can't speak to iPhones or other brands of Android phones.

The apps to install are LG Mirrordrive and Button Savior(no root). I didn't customized either app, just installed them.

The video I posted shows first hand how to get connected and use the functionality.

·
Registered
2017 Premium with ES CVT
283 Posts
SO if I am reading this correct..Given I have 17 HU,it should have ML 1.1 already and not need to talk to Subaru dealer for an update.
All i need is to have my Android phone install ML 1.1 and LG Mirrordrive and Button Savior

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
SO if I am reading this correct..Given I have 17 HU,it should have ML 1.1 already and not need to talk to Subaru dealer for an update.
All i need is to have my Android phone install ML 1.1 and LG Mirrordrive and Button Savior

How does one install ML1.1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i Ltd
21 Posts
'17 Forester?

I bought my '17 Foz in Sept 2016. How do I know if it has Mirrorlink 1.1? I have an HTC 10 running android 7.0 and an HTC M8 running android 6.x.

I have tried connecting my HTC 10 to the car's HU, I only get a notification on the phone saying mirrorlink is connected, but no indication whatsoever on the car's screen (Mirrorlink continues to be grayed out).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring SBM Lineartronic CVT with X-Mode
262 Posts
How does one install ML1.1?
Mirror link only works on Android.
You won't need to since you have a 2017 Subaru. Just install:

LG Mirrordrive
Button Savior(no root)

With your phone plugged into the vehicle goto:
Settings > More Connection Settings > Mirrorlink > Connect to vehicle via USB

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
600 Posts
Not that easy. LG MirrorDrive says not compatible, will not install.

Then I found you need some sort or core mirrorlink api as part of android os. Which is what I was asking about :(

But,... Then I found its probably a dead end on Moto, Nexus, or Google phone, all the popular handsets :(. They didn't implement HDMI over USB required for mirror link.

Restricted to specific models of say, lg and maybe htc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
579 Posts
Not that easy. LG MirrorDrive says not compatible, will not install.

Then I found you need some sort or core mirrorlink api as part of android os. Which is what I was asking about :(

But,... Then I found its probably a dead end on Moto, Nexus, or Google phone, all the popular handsets :(. They didn't implement HDMI over USB required for mirror link.

Restricted to specific models of say, lg and maybe htc.
Yup. I have a Nexus 5x and no Mirrorlink since it doesn't do HDMI over USB (Nexus 5X is made by LG, but to Google's specs). Internet forums state Google put the resources in wireless casting instead of HDMI over USB. I'm not bothering to do this update, unless I notice some other issue with my HU in the future.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring w/&#128 CVT
19 Posts
The "point" is that the mirror drive is not compatible with Samsung phones. It is this pop up error that is causing the disappearance of the mirror link connected graphic and gives you access to the screen mirroring... Without the error, there would be no reason to force the display to the home screen.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Automatic
10 Posts
I tried the above with my Samsung Galaxy S7 in my XV:
- the mirror screen is bad resolution and not clear. No matter how i changed resolution on the phone, not solved
- bottom icons are not seen
- home button of Button Savior not working via mirroring. Didnt try to solve
- rather slow
Still considering installing quad core android hu

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Forrester XT CVT
50 Posts
I don't mind the bad image quality as much as the slowness and difficult navigation. I was hoping to not need a phone holder but for now I think I will.

·
Registered
2017 Forrester XT CVT
50 Posts
My phone received an update last week and now when I connect to MirrorLink, the HU screen is stuck displaying the initial connection message and never shows the apps. Oh well, it was only marginally useful anyway. I found my vent clip phone holder works well in the center passenger vent after all.

·
Registered
2016 Forester Auto
2 Posts
Service Bulletin 15-205-16

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and have tried to get it to work with the MirrorLink using the advice from above as well as other sources and have not had any luck yet. I do have an appointment with the dealer to see if it needs a firmware update.

If you have been looking for a solution you may have heard of the service bulletin 15-205-16. This is the most current and detailed bulletin I could find. I provided a link to the PDF as well that has very good instructions on how to do this yourself.
challengepromotions.com/Wills/TSB/15-205-16. pdf . (I had to modify this line since I am a new poster it won't let me post links)

I already have an appointment schedule with the dealer in a few days so I am going to let them do it but I will provide them with this bulletin just in case, if they say they have a more current bulletin I will ask for the bulletin number so I can post it here.

With this PDF you can check your version, it explains how to do that.

In this pdf it tells you exactly how to do the update, you have to find the software though because the site they refer to for the software is a site for Subaru employees where they have to enter their login credentials.

I will update what I find out here.

FYI: These are the links to the Subaru files but they are password protected:
download.subarunet.com/ssmiii/OU9016_USB_1st. exe (I had to modify this line since I am a new poster it won't let me post links)
download.subarunet.com/ssmiii/OU9016_USB_2nd. exe (I had to modify this line since I am a new poster it won't let me post links)

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
23 Posts
Been playing around with it some, but it is only on an older S5 Samsung phone. Only app I can get working is LG mirrorcast. If I do not have that app installed it does not do anything.

I think if you do not have any apps for it to load it will do nothing. The only problem is with the LG app it will not actually run on my S5 with android 5.

Have loaded other apps but no luck, nothing seems to show up except the LG app.

It could be the android version but unsure at this point.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts