Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0 D XC
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Foz (I need to change profile pic...) has MirrorLink but the app on the head unit never lights up. I have an android phone (BlackBerry Key2) and no matter what app I download to my phone, MirrorLink never lights up - always stayed greyed out. There is no SatNav on the car but I understand it's possible to project SatNav to the head unit via MirrorLink.

Any ideas on how to get MirrorLink enabled on the head unit? Is it even possible to use SatNav in such a way?

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester Touring CVT
67 Posts
I posted this in another thread a couple months ago but it still applies:

Mirror Link will only work with a very old version of the Android OS. Even if you got it to work you would be disappointed in the results. There are just a couple old apps that can be used. It's not like Android Auto or Apple Car Play where you can mirror the screen. The resolution is quite low and the image is mostly unacceptable. I too am disappointed that Subaru abandoned those of us that bought an expensive upgrade and were left with only a partially functioning system. At least Mazda offered a firmware update to owners of 2015-2018 vehicles. For $100 it added AA (and maybe ACP).

You can't even throw money at it and say I'll replace the head end with an Alpine or Kenwood unit. The amplifier under the seat is proprietary with no one is offering an interface box and then there are the endless connections that need to be made to the GPS, steering wheel buttons, cell radio, SiriusXM interfacing, etc. Some guys have attempted it but you can't connect to everything that the current audio system communicates to.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0 D XC
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that - has answered everything I need to know there. Thing is, when any search engine is used to search for MirrorLink, you get so many different answers it's hard to know what to believe. I even contacted MirrorLink directly and they were no help at all. Thanks again NewEngland.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts