Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
361 - 378 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester xt Premium CVT
1 Posts
I've seen this thread for a long time but have now only started experiencing the issue at 120.5k miles.
Lately I've been driving in the middle of Texas in 95+ degree heat, 300 mile trips, during the day at 25-30% throttle and 8psi boost - started feeling the surging.
After I began to notice it it's now happening during evening drives as well.

I never had the ecu update for the surging [Bulletin #:11-164-16] as @Giantdefy mentioned. I'll for sure do the MAF and MAP sensor clean and if that doesn't work I'll probably take her in and asks how much the update will cost (any one know cost? since it's not a recall)

I did the new clamps WAY early on in 2014 at around 10k miles. I'll check those too.
I just added "Royal Purple Octane Boost" in my '15 XT to my 93 "BP" fuel and the surging has stopped after 20 miles of driving.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester XT FA20
2 Posts
I've had a small surge from day one in "I" and "S" mode mostly when slowing down for a light or going though a round-a-bout turn and pick up speed. I always thought it was how a CVT preforms. It better the a jerk or clank you get from an automatic transmission. Its been doing that since mile #1 to 46,000mi. I always thought it had something to do with the turbo. Still drive the same. I have only picked up an oder from having the CVT oil changed and pan re-sealed. I haven't made any engine or suspension modes yet. I still waiting to give it a 2in lift. Front and rear steal bumper with a winch to i can pull myself backwards uphill. My subaru doesn't like reverse when the angle is >40 degrees.

·
Registered
'14 XT Touring CVT
7 Posts
Been a while since anyone has chimed in here. I just got my 14XT in January with 69k on the clock and now it’s just got about 72k. I have noticed this surging and have looked up and down this forum and thread to help me understand why that might be. Since I was still within my 90 days of purchase I decided to take it in. I’m in Austin Tx so it’s at Austin Subaru where I bought it. I’ll get it back tomorrow and hopefully they can tell me SOMETHING. This is my first Subaru and I really love the vehicle. I’d like to keep it the next 10 years. Hoping this is something that I can either live with and it last me that long. Or find out now before I spend too much more on the loan. Any updates are appreciated if you still have your 14-18 XT thank you.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium
7 Posts
Was coming home from a kayak trip when I punched it to get on the freeway and this weird surging started. Can't tell what or why it's doing it or if it's fuel/accelerator derived or the transmission. All the descriptions in this thread read just like my scenario. 2016 Subaru Forester 2.0 XT. I let the car rest and disconnected the battery, but it is still doing it. Check out the video I posted of it, "Car troubles. Odd surging and stalling in 2016 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Turbo". Anyone ever figure this out? My Suby only has 54k miles. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
'14 XT Touring CVT
7 Posts
@XT43VR - ANy updates by chance? Thanks

Did you ever get a solve?
I got it back and they did an ECM reflash. It was covered under the extended warranty I bought and I haven’t had a surge since.

However the same day I got it I had the whole dash light up saying my emissions systems needed to be checked. I since got a new gas cap since mine was feeling a little loose. But few miles down the road after resetting ecm via disconnecting the battery and I’m getting this warning again.

Now my car is stuck in sports mode and the whole eyesight system is disabled along with a miriad of other things. So now I’m going to get the codes ran and see if it’s something I can do myself otherwise it’s going right back to Austin Subaru.

Id say take it to the dealership and see if they need to do an ecm reflash. But with one problem down I now have another. Beware of diagnostic fees if you have a warranty and it doesn’t cover what your problem might be

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
That's not the same problem what this tread is about.

Could be linked to the MAF sensor, or a fuel problem? have you just filled up? See if there's any codes stored. Would of been nice to see where the smoke was coming from.
That problem at the end of the video is not a problem its the rev limiter kicking in.

·
Registered
'14 XT Touring CVT
7 Posts
Yeah I know. I was having the surging problem before. Took it in.

The problem I’m having now, I know has nothing to with the aforementioned. I was having the surging problem initially though. And they did an ECM reflash. No more surging for me.

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Sorry, I was replying to the other poster forgot to quote them. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's not the same problem what this tread is about.

Could be linked to the MAF sensor, or a fuel problem? have you just filled up? See if there's any codes stored. Would of been nice to see where the smoke was coming from.
That problem at the end of the video is not a problem its the rev limiter kicking in.
Thanks @bigfella !
The smoke was just actually just steam from washing the car and engine so I could check for any leaks. We're all set now though and the belts no longer squeak and the engine no longer smokes/steams. To it out after cleaning the MAF and got similar results.
Check handbag out if you have a second: Cruising around town.
and on the freeway

THank you for all the help and feedback!

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
No problem all good.

I cant watch that new video as it says it's private.

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Yea I signed in and it said private then I retried and it worked.. unless you fixed it inbetween? lol

That's a new one. No codes stored?

It could still be that the MAF is reading lower or higher than what is entering the motor, If you can get the data read from the MAF etc that would either rule that in or out.
I would think? if it had any other problem it would probably throw the lights up.?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yea I signed in and it said private then I retried and it worked.. unless you fixed it inbetween? lol

That's a new one. No codes stored?

It could still be that the MAF is reading lower or higher than what is entering the motor, If you can get the data read from the MAF etc that would either rule that in or out.
I would think? if it had any other problem it would probably throw the lights up.?
Thank you! I pulled two codes P0113 which seems to point to an IAT sensor and a P0171 which could maybe be a vacuum leak or MAF failing but still no check engine light is popping

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
Check for any vacuum leaks or ducting and boost pipes that are loose, split, popped off etc, Have a good look at the plastic turbo inlet as they are known to crack, Can you read the data from the MAF? should be around 2 to 5 g/s at idle when warm with nothing turned on. The IAT sensor is built into the MAF, check the connector for loose contacts etc. Any debris inside the MAF? dead bug etc?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check for any vacuum leaks or ducting and boost pipes that are loose, split, popped off etc, Have a good look at the plastic turbo inlet as they are known to crack, Can you read the data from the MAF? should be around 2 to 5 g/s at idle when warm with nothing turned on. The IAT sensor is built into the MAF, check the connector for loose contacts etc. Any debris inside the MAF? dead bug etc?
Well check this out! COuld this be it? Subaru has replaced the short block/engine and from the looks of it, maybe didn't put it together right. The flange pivot bolt is missing from the Inter Cooler and won't even line up with the bar it attaches to. The big pipe which believe goes to the throttle body, I believe isn't attached or slipping off. Check out this video. Could this be my issue? I can't really bend it to get it lined up to put a flange bolt in and I wonder if I should loosen the clamps on the air intake/throttle hose and twist it to try and get it to line up or bend that bar soe how. See here a video - Vacum leak. InterCooler pilot flange/bolt missing causing to pull away.

·
Registered
2016 XT
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
Yeah that's probably the problem. Sort that out then clear the codes and try it.

361 - 378 of 378 Posts