Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a 1.5" ADF lift kit and was less than happy. The primary reason was that the rear wheel now sits forward in the rear wheel well. Only after I had installed and noticed did I find out that this happens often with the ADF kit. I've only heard this from a few folks as well as from competing vendors (taking that with a grain of salt). The bigger concern is that I feel that it will cause something to break down / wear faster and I'm only interested in quality. The lesser concern is that I really disliked the install of the rear subframe (multi-link) spacers. I also agree with folks that the design makes it less "safe" because now there are more points of potential weakness with two bolts vs one. It takes it one step further away from the stock setup.

I am curious to see who all has a lift kit and what they would recommend as I am heavily contemplating removing the ADF and installing another lift kit. I am looking at 1.5" or 2" all around.

LPAventure - seems good, but haven't read much about their quality. They do seem similar to ADF, but think they didn't do the block spacer like ADF, so similar to Subtle and SLO.

Subtle Solutions - seems top 1 or 2. My local dealership installs these and they highly recommend them. What I dislike is how you have to bang out the OEM bolts on the strut top in order to install the Subtle spacers. The rest I think seems pretty good based on the latest iteration of the kit. Guy there also says that everyone copies his stuff. I trust my dealership more than what I've read on the internet, afterall, they have installed in a number of Subaru's. They seem very similar to SLO below. Install just seems a bit more complicated with banging out the OEM strut top bolts.

SubieLiftOz - seems top 1 or 2. I've been told that everyone has been copying SLO. I also hear that everyone copies everyone so not really sure who to believe. It does seem that SLO was just some random forum dude that decided to make his own lift kit. I have no idea if he is actually an engineer or if he just did trial and error to get it right. Who's to say his right is actually safe too. He's also in Australia, which makes customer service a pain. If he's just a dude, not sure there would be any sort of warranty if it fails. Plus the whole I'm in the US and he's in Australia, so not sure about cross border warranties.

Rallitek - didn't bother looking into

Primitive - didn't bother looking into. I think they were the ones that did the lift with the king springs? I don't want to deal with spring compression.

Any others I'm missing? I've heard great things about Sumo, but don't think they are in business anymore.

My local dealership says that none of their lifts have had significant centering issues with the Subtle kits they install. If anyone has personal experience with their's, could you please reply here? TIA

·
Administrator
15,379 Posts
Have you contacted ADF about this and if so what was the result?

From SubiLiftOz site (interesting bit in bold):

"The rear spacer subframe spacer kit is needed for better suspension geometry and to keep the rear wheels centred. It uses solid high tensile aircraft grade billet alloy spacers, for strength & durability, & includes custom ordered, grade 10.9 M14 bolts for the main spacers, a serious bit of hardware!"

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
1,987 Posts
I've also been reticent about a lift kit on my Foz... I did buy a small 1" strut top kit from another forum member (he'd bought it but not used it and sold it off).

I will be interested to see all the discussion on this question because I've got similar concerns.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you contacted ADF about this and if so what was the result?

From SubiLiftOz site (interesting bit in bold):

"The rear spacer subframe spacer kit is needed for better suspension geometry and to keep the rear wheels centred. It uses solid high tensile aircraft grade billet alloy spacers, for strength & durability, & includes custom ordered, grade 10.9 M14 bolts for the main spacers, a serious bit of hardware!"
Yes, reached out to Patrick @ ADF. He will not refund me because I am out of the 30-day window. I happened to get in on a special deal for Memorial Day, was not yet ready to install, but makes sense for me to get in on a discount and have it ready for when I'm ready to install. I installed about a month after I received and he won't refund. His thoughts were that everyone's lift kits will sit forward in the rear wheel well. In looking at pictures and polling folks in the FB groups and here, I've only heard that ADF has this issue, no one else does. I've contacted Subtle, SLO, LPAventure, Rallitek and Primitive - not one of them have said theirs' has this issue. Some talk negatively about others, but I take all that with a grain of salt in that they likely just see me as another potential sale. But where this really falls flat is my local Subaru dealership that installs lift kits. They have mentioned to me that other kits don't have the same issue - or at least not nearly as pronounced.

The idea of the subframe spacer (multi-link) is to center the rear wheel for every manufacturer, this is not unique to SLO. This is why everyone designs it this way. There is one company, I believe, that does not use the subframe spacer and claims it will sit close to factory spec. I cannot imagine this is the case just given the amount of lift you put on the struts.

Will continue to update this as I continue to speak with Patrick @ ADF.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,309 Posts
There is one company, I believe, that does not use the subframe spacer and claims it will sit close to factory spec. I cannot imagine this is the case just given the amount of lift you put on the struts.
Ready Lift is the company that claims they engineered their 2-inch spacers to match factory geometry so the rear wheels are centered. They are very new to the Subaru lift game yet they claim their experience lifting Jeeps gives them the advantage.

I would stick to one of the well known Subaru Lift companies.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This hasn't been an issue for my ADF lift kit (1.5" front, 1.75" rear), and I tend to be very picky with stuff like this. I do have Rokblokz mud flaps which might help center things aesthetically. Don't have a ton of pics online but there's a couple here: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbul...17-fxt-touring-637409/index2.html#post6473018
Here are some pictures of mine before and after the lift. I do agree it might be because of your mudflaps, but mine are clearly more forward. There is a 2 finger gap to the front of the wheel well and a 4 finger gap. It isn't such a big distance variance, but if my untrained eye caught it, then it is something I'm causing a fuss over.

Is obviously sitting more forward after the lift. This was 1.5" all around, including the subframe block spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In your mind, what are the well known ones? Is SLO well known here?

I only ever see folks mention ADF or LPAventure on these forums. The offroad Subaru forum has more SLO (probably a bigger contingent of Aussies and New Zealanders).

·
Administrator
15,379 Posts
The offroad Subaru forum has more SLO (probably a bigger contingent of Aussies and New Zealanders).
Definitely - but offroadsubarus.com was were SubieLiftOz started development so naturally there's more of SLO product being used. I believe SLO ship for free to the US.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, they ship free to US. Still curious if ppl hold SLO in high regard in general. I'm not part of offroadsubaru.com, so haven't done too much research over there.

·
Administrator
15,379 Posts
Yes, SLO's reputation over here is really excellent. Matt's work is second to none and I can highly recommend his products.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ADF came back with some offered solutions to see if they could try to fix the "issue" I was having. He was considering going to a lower rear lift (maybe 1"?) to get the wheel well to sit more centered. I am not sure of what the result of that would do for driving/safety/looks, so told him that it wasn't the route I'd prefer. Told him that I had already purchased another kit and was going to do that instead. He is now offering me a full refund once I get the new kit on and installed, then the ADF kit back to him. I am very curious to see if the SLO kit will sit centered, or more like stock centered per Matt there.

Will report back.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT HTCVT
75 Posts
I checked mine and there’s about a 1 finger difference between the front and rear gap (2.5 vs 3.5). The mud flaps make it virtually unnoticeable though; certainly it’s never bothered me. Glad you were able to sort things out with Patrick, and good luck with the SLO kit!

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester CVT
14 Posts
i have a rallitek spring kit on all four struts of my 19.. i started there instead of getting a body lift. figured for my uses it would be best. i am interested in an additional inch of clearance after i get used to the rallitek springs. i suggest them in addition to whatever you ended up with. the ride is great and oem springs are tiny vs these. king springs are great if you really need them. those were above what i am willing to do with my car. ralliteks gave me about an inch of extra clearance on the factory struts and they dont sag. even at full load with asses in seats, tent on the roof, gear in the cargo bay and extra fuel. im impressed.

from what ive read for my 19, you need to get a subframe drop for anything at or over 1.5 inches.

16 xt:

old post yeah i know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I got mine at the dealer they used LPA (ouch $$$ and labour ouch $$) but there are spacers in it to maintain center in the rear wheel well. They told me every other kit in the market will cause shift. I can't vouch for that, but it's dealer installed with no warranty impact so worth the extra $$.

·
Premium Member
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
7 Posts
I was curious about this, for i have done a ready lift 2" and have the same issue with the rear. I was curious of any solutions people have had. I really don't want to remove and try another product, but if needs be.
Thank you for all your help.

Chris.

·
Administrator
15,379 Posts
@ChrisFlo23 Maybe one of the vendors will be prepared to sell you the multi-link subframe spacers? Or get the RalliTEK product mentioned above

They told me every other kit in the market will cause shift. I can't vouch for that
Yes, not true. For sure the SubieLiftOz kit will recenter the wheels:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ready Lift is the company that claims they engineered their 2-inch spacers to match factory geometry so the rear wheels are centered. They are very new to the Subaru lift game yet they claim their experience lifting Jeeps gives them the advantage.

I would stick to one of the well known Subaru Lift companies.
What are a couple most well know lift companies?

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
1,309 Posts
What are a couple most well know lift companies?
ADF, LPAventure, Primitive Racing are the most well known in the Forester community, followed by Subie Lift Oz, Subtle Solutions and Rallitek. All of these companies offer full lift kits tat include the rear sub-frame spacers to center the rear wheels after lifting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts