Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
You might find a seperate fuse for that in the fuse box.

In my old Camry auto dimming did not function if the rear windshield was dirty.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,303 Posts
@majordude

In my wife's 2015, you toggle the auto-dimming feature on/off by holding the center (rear-view) mirror's button for 3-seconds - according to the owner's manual. This mirror does not have Homelink.

Instructions are on p. 3-97 in the 2015 owner's manual. Not sure about the 2016 manual.

Mike

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
667 Posts
In my wife's 2015, you toggle the auto-dimming feature on/off by holding the center (rear-view) mirror's button for 3-seconds
In the 2018 pressing this button toggles the auto-dim on and off. Holding the button toggles something with the compass (I didn't read that part).

Instructions for your model year should be in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
449 Posts
You can press the mirror on-off button but as soon as you restart the car the mirrors are reactivated again. I didn't care for the dimming feature especially on the side mirrors- too much dimming made it actually harder to see traffic! The rear view mirror dimming was fine but the rear window is tinted so headlight glare wasn't too much anyway.

I disabled my rearview and side dimming mirrors by covering the light sensor on the lower edge of the rearview mirror facing you with black tape. It does disable all the mirrors dimming but it hasn't been an issue at all for me. The only mirror feature I really like are the side mirror approach leds- the heated portion isn't the fastest but ok too. Anyway covering the light sensor with a tiny piece of tape is an easy option if you end up not liking the auto-dimming feature.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
857 Posts
kōbai-iro;7525783 said:
You can press the mirror on-off button but as soon as you restart the car the mirrors are reactivated again. I didn't care for the dimming feature especially on the side mirrors- too much dimming made it actually harder to see traffic! The rear view mirror dimming was fine but the rear window is tinted so headlight glare wasn't too much anyway.

I disabled my rearview and side dimming mirrors by covering the light sensor on the lower edge of the rearview mirror facing you with black tape. It does disable all the mirrors dimming but it hasn't been an issue at all for me.
I didn't like the auto dimming either in a loaner I drove, tinted my windows well and I don't really even need the feature, but sometimes use the manual flipper at bottom of my manual inside rearview to dim even more.

Good tip with black tape to cover the light sensor.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
68 Posts
On my 2015 with homelink in the mirror it is just a button on the mirror but will always come back on when you restart the vehicle.

I personally love the auto dimming mirrors but it took time to get used to them. My only issue is on the outside mirror there is a small section that doesn’t dim.

·
Foz Addict
1118 2.5 Premium& XT tour Quadraphenia Electromatic & the CVT
124 Posts
kōbai-iro;7525783 said:
I disabled my rearview and side dimming mirrors by covering the light sensor on the lower edge of the rearview mirror facing you with black tape. It does disable all the mirrors dimming but it hasn't been an issue at all for me. The only mirror feature I really like are the side mirror approach leds- the heated portion isn't the fastest but ok too. Anyway covering the light sensor with a tiny piece of tape is an easy option if you end up not liking the auto-dimming feature.
I went the other way on the '11 as I wanted the mirrors dimmed, so I covered the forward facing sensor (center of the mirror housing) with tape.

How the sensors work in tandem is pretty ingenious - if the lights behind the car (from headlights behind you, allegedly) are brighter than ambient (detected from that front sensor) it dims the mirror. That's why when those lights vanish (and the same or more light is in the front ), the mirror undims. If you block the front facing sensor, then the brain in the mirror thinks the ambient light (which is brighter than the now blacked out sensor in front) is a set of headlights behind you... so the mirror dims.

Don't know how it works on the new car... the only way I found out was I watched a tech put his finger on the front of the mirror... to make sure the new mirror didn't have the same issue as the one he was replacing (which didn't dim)…

I asked the writer how they checked them, he told me they had a special interface to the computer... this was the same guy who told me the factory tint on the rear window meant the mirror wouldn't dim... needless to say they didn't get anything shy of warranty business from me after that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts