Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2009 Subaru WRX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago I had a CEL with a p0137 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 code. Made an appointment with the dealer, the engine light turned off the day before the appointment. The dealer says there are no codes stored and nothing they can do for me. A week ago the light is back on with a p0304 #4cyl misfire code. The freeze frame data indicates the fault occurred in closed loop with a temp of 150. The light stayed on for 3 days and just turned off the day before my current dealer appointment. The car is now at the dealer and I’m waiting to hear back. My XT has 29K and is used by my wife to commute to work. She has a short 12min drive. There is no performance issues other than a slight rough cold start idle. I suspect possible carbon on the 02 sensor and spark plug. Im looking for advice from my fellow XT owners. The dealer has a BG fuel service for direct injected engines. Would this help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1999 "L" - 231,000 mi. AT
702 Posts
you'll have to wait untill the code stays on long enough for you to make an appointment - and fill it. Don't be in a rush ...

Good news is that it's just an annoyance now without driving consequences. BTW, my CEL has been on 90% of the time for the last 40,000 miles; no driving issues for me.

·
Registered
2016 2009 Subaru WRX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the car back from the dealer with a software update for the engine computer which is supposed to take care of the issue. So far so good, I’m cautiously optimistic. I still feel like it’s carbon from frequent short trips. The car still runs great so who knows. I’m thinking about doing the BG products fuel System Service offered by the dealer. This is my first DI turbo so I’m open to suggestions from other XT owners. My other car is an 09 Subaru wrx I daily drive to work for a the past 10 years. Been an awesome car with no issues.

·
Registered
2014 forester xt cvt
60 Posts
I was also getting an intermittant o2 sensor code over a year ago. Removed the o2 sensor and found it to be covered in black soot. Blew sensor clean with compressed air and code has remained clear for over a year now. Easy cheap fix. I imagine a lot of people have paid dealers a lot of money to replace o2 sensors unnecessarily.

·
Registered
2016 2009 Subaru WRX
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I’ll try removing and cleaning the 02 sensor next time I get that code. I’m sure there is soot on the spark plugs too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts