Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is currently using my vehicle so I was not able to see exactly what happened and unable to check if any codes popped up. He told me that he started the car and the blue coolant temperature light was blinking for a while unknown how long. He also said the car was making in my guess warning noises. He drove the car about 13 miles shut it off and restarted the car a little later but the light is not on anymore and there aren't any CEL on. The temperature today is about 75 to 80 degrees. I understand that if it wasn't started for a while the temperature go down and the blue light illuminates for a short period. I never had it flash or blink before. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Also car has only about 28k miles.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
3,172 Posts
The blue coolant light is to let you know that the car is not warmed up yet and is still - cold. When the car reached the appropriate operating temperature, then the light goes off.

Only be really worried if the light goes RED or never turns off from blue.

And have YOU seen it blinking blue? Chances may well be that dad didn't see it blinking but didn't know why it was on in blue to begin with.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
207 Posts
The thermostat might have been sticking open from the last time it was warmed up.

My guess is if it was blinking, it didn't reach operating temperature in the allotted time.

Then it might have gone back to normal after being warmed up again.

I would say if it happens again, to replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,664 Posts
The light won't blink just blue. It may blink red/blue or be solid blue, blinking red, or solid red.

Unless there is a canbus error or something.

·
Registered
2018 Forester 2.5iLimited CVT
256 Posts
Seriously? You asked this forum for opinions on an issue you have not witnessed?

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,664 Posts
Seriously? You asked this forum for opinions on an issue you have not witnessed?
No need to be a dick, dude. The car is not in his possession and he's obviously concerned for his father and car. Hard to reproduce it if he can't see it. Second hand anecdotes are not that reliable, but he's got nothing else to go on at the moment.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,508 Posts
There‘s nothing wrong with asking a question on a car forum… the posters here aren’t Fortune 100 CEOs, so chances are, many of us have a few moments to spare to answer simple questions…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts