Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look similar, but not exactly like the flares that came on the X Break model in Japan.

Those look like they are cut to accommodate the factory mud guards, which my new one will have...

·
Registered
2016 and 2020 Foresters
1,158 Posts
I'm tempted to get those too. They're cheap enough. My worry is damaging the paint if they don't work well or trapping moisture.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Automatic
275 Posts
I like them, but the idea of the gap in the back isn't aesthetically pleasing to me.

·
Registered
2014 forester XT touring CVT
1,666 Posts
I like them! But don't know if I would paint them or keep them black

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i Tour.. 6spd MT
98 Posts
I think they would only look good if the feel and texture matched the stock black plastic moldings

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think they would only look good if the feel and texture matched the stock black plastic moldings
Agreed, which why I was wondering if anyone has gotten them.

I like them! But don't know if I would paint them or keep them black
I would keep them black, it will match the already black parts of the trim, and be a good contrast on the wheel wells.

I like them, but the idea of the gap in the back isn't aesthetically pleasing to me.
I think the ones from ebay extend farther down.

I'm tempted to get those too. They're cheap enough. My worry is damaging the paint if they don't work well or trapping moisture.
Another consideration as well.

I would dry-fit them before actually applying them, but would also be more confident with ordering them if they didn't have the hollow core centers. It appears as though they have a lip that fold down and around the fender opening, so there probably won't be as much hollow space as it appears there could be.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
191 Posts
Anyone worried about dirt and water getting trapped behind these and causing rust?

IMHO the Forester should come with something like this out of the factory. It is an AWD for Pete's sake. I already have a fine scratch or two above my wheels.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,983 Posts
Anyone worried about dirt and water getting trapped behind these and causing rust?

IMHO the Forester should come with something like this out of the factory. It is an AWD for Pete's sake. I already have a fine scratch or two above my wheels.
Subaru used to. My '10 Limited has them, probably dealer installed.

Most likely, Subaru dropped them for lack of demand and sales. I've only seen them on two other Foresters in the two years I've had mine. And Foresters are as common as house flies around connecticut.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Most likely, Subaru dropped them for lack of demand and sales. I've only seen them on two other Foresters in the two years I've had mine. And Foresters are as common as house flies around connecticut.
That's the look I'm going for, what brand is that bumper bar? I pick up my '16 XT Touring today in MBP.

Japa parts has the Oem part for around $400 dollars.
Not for the SJ, unless I'm missing it. Got a link?

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem Automatic
275 Posts
May be a crazy question, but has anyone tried the earlier years' fender flares on the SJ?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
191 Posts

What I am talking about i they should be built in like on the rocker panel. Bumpers should be the same material too. Can't figure out why anyone would want painted bumpers. Bumpers after all are meant to bump. ;)

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,983 Posts
What I am talking about i they should be built in like on the rocker panel. Bumpers should be the same material too. Can't figure out why anyone would want painted bumpers. Bumpers after all are meant to bump. ;)
We no longer have real bumpers. We have bumper covers that hid a little steel bar. I remember when we had chromed steel bumpers that took a 20 mph hit to even dent them! >:)

·
Premium Member
2016 XT Touring CVT
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't like the look of those stock ones, the pic on the Amazon Japan link shows them in a car with the mud guards, and it still has a gap.. looks like cheap aftermarket, instead of factory quality full fitment.

I'm going to send a message to the seller to see if there is a pic of the ebay ones on a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts