Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I asked about using 5w30 oil instead of 0w20 and get pounced on that the bearing clearances are so tight on these engines that it seems only a fool would use any weight oil other than what is called for so, I googled about bearing clearances on the FB engine nothing comes up EJ engine yes, anybody know??

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i 6mt
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be tight clearances if the engine had a steel crankshaft & cast iron block, but a steel crankshaft & aluminum block the aluminum expands more than the steel crankshaft so the clearances are larger than what they sound like!
I found a in another forum not in any way connected to Subaru engines but, this guy that claims to be a dr & in his investigation of oil viscosity use, he tries to show how the new low viscosity oils are so much better that we should all use oils in the 0w20 or slightly higher viscosity, but then uses his Ferrari as an example saying that Ferrari used to say to use 5w40 viscosity & then they Ferrari figured out that not everyone that buys a Ferrari races them & according to this guy that according to Ferrari if you just drive your car in town use 0w40 oil , but if you race your Ferrari use up to 10w60 depending on temperature!
Doesn’t sound like to me that the ultra low viscosity oils are designed & chosen for protection of the parts like bearings etc but to try & meet CAFFE requirements

1 - 4 of 4 Posts