Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this ... I was driving at about 70 mph on the interstate when my 2016 Subaru Forester lurched - I could literally feel it lurch forward, then backward - and the engine died. I gave it gas, but the speedometer started to go down to 0 fairly quickly. I was in the left lane to let other cars merge onto the interstate when this happened; barely made it to the right shoulder before my car came to a stop. It did not help that I was in a pretty good thunderstorm. Wouldn't restart for me, but when a tow truck came to get me 30-45 minutes later, it started, of course. I'm going to take it in to the dealer, but I drive on plenty of highways where there is simply no shoulder when you are going through large cities. Anyone have any ideas about what happened to my car?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,935 Posts
@Ruth C. I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Take a look at my Google custom forum search results for "engine died on the highway" to see if any of the past threads match your experience? :confused:

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2012 Forester 4 speed auto
1,128 Posts
I would guess the air filter became saturated with water and clogged the intake manifold. The lurch was the no air entering the engine. Slow down during the next thunderstorm and change your air filter more often.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
912 Posts
I would guess the air filter became saturated with water and clogged the intake manifold. The lurch was the no air entering the engine. Slow down during the next thunderstorm and change your air filter more often.
Makes sense, but I wouldn't have thought that was possible. Must be some thunderstorm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts