Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 6 speed manual & love it!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Forester Premium w/ a 2.5L and a 6sp MT. It's a daily driver that does 127 miles/day that's almost entirely freeway with almost no shifts except for a dozen or so when I get on and off the freeway.
At 92K, the clutch would make a humming sound when I put the clutch down, whether or not in gear so I took it to the dealer and they said it sounded like the clutch bearing. Sure enough, that's what it was and I was told that this is the biggest problem with Subaru clutches! The clutch plate, or whatever wears out normally in a clutch, still had about 70% life in it, but since I was getting a new clutch done for free under my extended warranty, I paid for a new clutch plate because it was considered a "wear item." It was cheap because I paid no labor!

I have to major concerns!

1. Am I going to replace the clutch bearing again prematurely regardless of how little the clutch is being used and is there an after-market clutch bearing that could be used next time so that I can get a NORMAL lifespan out of a clutch bearing? All together, this was a $2000 job!

2. Now when I drive it, anytime I hit any small hill, like into my garage, or even if I back down my driveway where I have to leave the clutch down for an extra couple of seconds so I can use the backup camera so I don't hit any other cars, I get a nasty smell coming from the clutch! I've been driving a clutch for 35 years and I never replaced more than one clutch in all those years before now, so I'm NOT happy! Why is it smelling so bad for practically no stress on the clutch?
Thanks.
Isydor.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i
19 Posts
2016 Premium 2.5, six speed, 110,050 miles. Great vehicle & I love it BUT, clutch died three days ago: clutch pedal all the way to the floor, smoke from front, vehicle undrivable. Towed to dealer & $2000 later is fixed so I think I know why Subaru dropped the manual in the Forester. Probably going to trade & get a CVT Outback, will remind the sales person the clutch is brand new! Curiously, my wife's 2012 Honda Fit Sport five speed,189,243 miles: transmission/clutch never misses a beat, works as well as it did the day it was driven off the lot.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
993 Posts
In every car that I've had to have the clutch done on, it was the bearing that failed first. One time, we even took the clutch friction disc out of my Civic and put it in my friend's wife's Civic because it had plenty of life left. It's like 20+ years later now and that disc might still be in use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts