Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2016 - Can I use P235/55R18 tires on P225/55R18 stock rims?

('14-'18) 
5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  PGHBOB 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a Subaru 2016 Forester... It came with Duelers. I want to replace my worn Duelers with Michelin CrossClimate+ tires but they are only available in a P235/55R18 size. The Michelin website says they aren't compatible. I think they are... your advice?

I went to the Michelin website and wanted to see what would fit. The site said that it was not compatible.

My Forester is a Touring edition with 2.0 + Turbo.

#2 · (Edited)
A local tire shop can mount the tire you want to see if there are fitment issues. Those 235 vs. 225, the 235 are a touch taller, so your speedometer will read 1.5% faster, usually not a problem.

When I want to see what tires & will will fit, I use this site:
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

#3 ·
@majordude
I don’t know where did you get info that 235 won’t fit on 7” wheels but for Michelin Crossclimate SUV
Size: 235/55R18/XL 104V
MSPN: 14390, Michelin website (and Discount Tire, Tirerack...) are showing they fit 6.5-8.5 wheels. I actually got the same tire and size on stock wheels at Discount Tire and absolutely no problems. Tire is amazing and completely changed the vehicle. It is much better on dry, crosswinds are much less of an issue and it soaks bumps on bad surfaces much better. Much better in wet and you can only hear water under you, no problem with stability. I didn’t try them in ice/snow yet. Only minor issue that I noticed is that they much easier pickup bigger rock and you can hear it underneath.

#5 ·
Some of the tire sites (from the MFG and even some of the dealers) will not show ANY off-size tires as being compatible. Most will usually show JUST the stock fitment and nothing else.

When I was looking at off-road/All-Terrain ties for my Foz, just about any tire that was a bit taller or wider (face it, any size off stock will be taller, shorter, wider or thinner) and so most just never showed up.

Luckily,Continental makes the Terrain Contact in the stock size and the fit and all is perfect.

#6 ·
this spring i replaced the stock duelers on my 17' FXT touring with 235/55/17 continental pure contacts. pretty much every metric that's important to me has substantially improved.
there are no clearance issues, the only downside is the 1% or so reduction in the speedometer display for these slightly taller tires. my advice- 235's are a nearly perfect
fit, go for them!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.