Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Torn between getting Michelin Premier AS from costco or Goodyear Assurance Weatherreadies from a good year shop. Costco has a great warranted and will prorate tires if they are damaged from road hazards. But the problem is that the Michelin Premiers kind of suck in regards to tread wear. My 16 XT had its Premiers for 30,000 miles and it already needs replacing. Is service at Good Year shops on par with Costco? What would you guys do?

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,348 Posts
Happy Tuesday,

Have you taken a look at Michelin Defender LTX M/S? It is a great three season highway tire... Well, four season for me and though they have a decent snow rating they do not fall into the "snowflake" category. I have them on my `13 XT and absolutely love them. Nice and quiet, handles fire roads quite nicely too and no issues when going into the mountains for the occasional snow fall here.

Based upon your two options, I would go GoodYear & Costco.

May I suggest using TireRack's website for researching tires? They are a great tool to use when shopping for tires before locating an installer. Heck TR will ship them to your local installer if need be...

Sometimes sizing up 235/55/18 versus OEM 225/55/18 opens up more categories for tires. Size wise it isn't enough to be a clearance issue for the struts, etc... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

C.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Costco, but only if on special,$70 off and 3tires get onefree.
They don't replace studs, nor do alignments, but they do have the golden compressed air from fairies living on high mountain peaks at their disposal for your tires.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Meant to edit last post- can't find delete post.

As said research on TireRack first. Just bought Michelin Crossclimate + for our Legacy, when I searched by vehicle on Costco site, they didn't come up for some reason, when I search by size they did. Their site isn't very accurate. Find the tires you want on TireRack, then price on Costco.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy Tuesday,

Have you taken a look at Michelin Defender LTX M/S? It is a great three season highway tire... Well, four season for me and though they have a decent snow rating they do not fall into the "snowflake" category. I have them on my `13 XT and absolutely love them. Nice and quiet, handles fire roads quite nicely too and no issues when going into the mountains for the occasional snow fall here.

Based upon your two options, I would go GoodYear & Costco.

May I suggest using TireRack's website for researching tires? They are a great tool to use when shopping for tires before locating an installer. Heck TR will ship them to your local installer if need be...

Sometimes sizing up 235/55/18 versus OEM 225/55/18 opens up more categories for tires. Size wise it isn't enough to be a clearance issue for the struts, etc... https://tiresize.com/calculator/

C.
I have a dumb question or two... would Costco mount 235/55/18 tires to my stock wheels that are uspposed to take 225/55/18? And will upgrading my tire to 235 from 225 affect the speedometer?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
767 Posts
I have a dumb question or two... would Costco mount 235/55/18 tires to my stock wheels that are uspposed to take 225/55/18? And will upgrading my tire to 235 from 225 affect the speedometer?
You should always call to check but I am pretty sure that Costco will not mount any size that is not stock.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
792 Posts
I have a dumb question or two... would Costco mount 235/55/18 tires to my stock wheels that are supposed to take 225/55/18? And will upgrading my tire to 235 from 225 affect the speedometer?
Can't answer your first question.

As to the second, yes, it will affect your speedometer.

Multiply your speed by the ratio of the diameters to estimate the difference. In your case, the ratio is 1.018 (28.2"/27.7"). So when your speedometer says 70 mph, you'll actually be going 71.3 (1.018 * 70). Likewise, the displayed MPG and the odometer reading will change.

·
Super Duper Moderator
2,348 Posts
Look at the tire calculator site I linked. It shows a negligible difference...

I haven't used Costco for tires. Luckily I have plenty of America's Tire Stores (aka Discount Tires... www.tires.com ) nearby.

Still use TireRack for research, as their site is top notch. Even if they don't list all sizes sometimes versus what manufacturers make.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited CVT
156 Posts
You should always call to check but I am pretty sure that Costco will not mount any size that is not stock.
At first they didn't want to mount my winter tires purchased at Costco, but they did after I assured them they would fit. Stock size for the 2005-9 LGT is 215/45 17, non turbo models use 205/50 17 (2006-9) which is what I bought for winter. Cheaper and only .25 inches taller.
YMMV, might want to call first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts