Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.5i CVT
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
I have a 2016 2.5i with Convenience Package. I added the Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with HomeLink. Had it installed by the dealer after purchase. Everything works great but the buttons on it are not bac****. Is this normal or is this a defect.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Forester Touring
54 Posts
Wife has a 2016 Forester Touring, and we added on that mirror, and do NOT believe it is not backlit.......I just went out and pushed the start button....only things that lights up is the "green" button indicating it is on.....

·
Registered
2016 XT Premium
145 Posts
Another annoyance I discovered with it. The Auto-Dimming is automatically activated every single time you start the engine. Is there any way to prevent the auto-dimming feature from activating like this? Instead of automatically being activated, I'd rather it be automatically OFF every engine start.....or even better, just remember what the I set it to. Any ideas?

Drive with the Auto-Dimming on at night.....it is pretty difficult to see the actual road features in the rear-view mirror (or the side mirrors for that matter). You'll notice it is actually better overall to have Auto-Dimming OFF at night and ON at day. I understand it might be a good option to enable when some punk is bright-beaming your mirrors....but that does not happen frequently.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
455 Posts
Yeah I stuck a little square of black electrical tape over the light sensor (facing you) on the lower part of the rearview mirror to kill the auto-dimming - not the sensor on the rear of the rearview mirror facing the windshield ( I don't recall what that sensor does). Covering the front sensor prevents the dimming function . Works like a charm. The on-off button still lights up green automatically at every start of the car but because the light sensor is covered no dimming action... I really don't miss having any dimming of the rear or sideview mirrors at all. It was borderline hard to see traffic at night with the dimming frankly- especially the side-view mirrors.

·
Registered
2016 Forester 2.0XT
19 Posts
I have a '16 touring that came with Homelink and auto dimming mirror....they aren't lit at all. That was a dislike I had, but very minor dislike in my book. I personally love my auto-dimming mirror and side mirrors!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Ltd. CVT
1,779 Posts
I often want to turn autodimming off; so I put a small bit of the furry (loop) side of a velcro strip on the on/off button so I can find it in the dark. It's small stupid things like that that make a subaru a subaru (unlit glove box, terrible hatch illumination, etc.) Mother of invention and all of that.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
455 Posts
Well the auto-dimming on-off button is right next to the lit green light showing it's on- is it really that hard to find the button in the dark? I do agree probably like a lot of other cars there's things about Subaru that are head scratching....

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Forester LL Bean
63 Posts
Welp. Glad i found this old thread.
I also thought the HL buttons on the mirror should be backlit and that mine are probably burnt out (2006 LLB). Guess they're not - even in much newer model years :(

Hard to find those in the dark - may be a "1st world problem" but I find it bizarre and annoying.

Wife's 2014 Mazda6 and my 2005 BMW 330Ci bothhave backlit HL buttons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts