Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide how difficult installing a carplay receiver (AVH-14400NEX) truly is on a 2016 Forester (nav + HK speakers). I've searched through the forum and found a range of super simple to extremely difficult...and then reviews for the extra parts on Crutchfield say they're not compatible so I'm a bit lost and trying to avoid a $400+ install charge.

If anyone knows, all I'm looking for is to keep the stock camera & volume/skip track controls on the steering wheel. Don't care about Sirius.

Outside of the dash kit to physically mount which is straight forward, are these 2 the only things I'd need for all the functionality?

iDatalink - Maestro - SU2
iDatalink - Maestro - USU2

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
I looked into this for my 2015 Forester and thought I saw a minimalist and a maximum wiring set ranging from like $15 to $150... it comes down to whether you want to retain the steering wheel controls or not... used to be so easy to replace the factory radio... now, you gotta worry about the backup camera, steering wheel controls, etc...

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
121 Posts
The should just leave the a flat rectangle so we can stick our phone/tablets in that spot... We really just need a 3.5mm aux to go into the amp and drive the speakers... ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bit the bullet and bought the Maestro stuff & will give it a shot this weekend. It seems like all the issues I've read about were from before these newer harnesses were available and everything should just be plug and play now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bit the bullet and bought the Maestro stuff & will give it a shot this weekend. It seems like all the issues I've read about were from before these newer harnesses were available and everything should just be plug and play now.
Reporting back here - got everything running except for the front speakers. I get normal audio from my rear (the small ones right behind the front seats by the window) but all 4 front speakers are just muffled. I know its something with the HK amp, if anyone has any ideas. If I get it figured out I'll post a full install guide here.

Other notes for people stumbling on this:

• If you have an OEM dual USB the adapters will not work (with my Pioneer at least). OEM is doing something weird splitting the USB and it will not work. I just ran a new one to the glove box vs messing with it or changing the circuit board.
    There's a small box under the OEM 7" with a Continental tire logo on it that I could not figure out what it did. Had a few cables running to it that were not used anywhere on my new unit. Everything seems to be working normally without it I'm guessing it was a telemetry unit that my new Maestro is doing now instead?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts