Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Base
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What are the options for adding an actual coolant temperature gauge to a '16? I really don't get enough information from the idiot lights. I have a base model '16.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Jeff in Boston

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,263 Posts
@freekraz I agree with sleeper. I will do that to my new crossstrek but fortunately my '18XT has an oil temp gauge which is just as good.

·
Premium Member
2018 Forester 6MT
74 Posts
@freekraz If you want to go a little fancier (and expensive), Speedhut makes temperature (and other) gauges that will plug into your ODBII port. They are usually single function though (so it would only be a water temperature gauge), so is less versatile than a ScanGauge or UltraGauge. There are a few places (Subispeed, I think) that sell a bezel for around the instrument cluster that provides two 52 mm or 60 mm gauge ports - the problem is what to put in the other one.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,387 Posts
@freekraz I agree that an OBDII solution would be easiest and cheapest. But I’d also point out that the car already offers more information than it might seem at first glance.

There’s an oil temperature readout available in the triple display. That’s arguably more useful even than a coolant temp gauge. But also, note that the “idiot light” is actually a four stage readout: too cold, normal, getting hotter, and too hot.

IMO, the two readouts together offer all the information a driver might normally need about the temperature status of the engine.

·
Registered
2016 Base
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@rdclark Thank you for pointing that out!
Not to be a complete dunce, but how do you get the oil temperature onto the triple display? Is it something I can decipher from driver's manual? I find resetting the clock to be challenging enough...

Thanks in advance.

freekraz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts