Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Subaru outback 2.0 Diesel DPF light flashing as well again. It also happened 3 months ago. I went through a lots of information from forums
I found the Subaru oil reset cheat code:
(start engine
depress & hold brake peddle
turn rear demister on
turn parker/clearance light on
turn rear demister off
turn lights off
turn rear demister on (again)
turn parkers on (again)
turn rear demister off
turn lights off
release brake

the glow plug light should blink for 5 seconds to confirm reset has been successful.)

I tried it and reset up successfully, there is a exclamation mark on the DPF light.

But I am confused about it. Is it only reset up oil dilution sensor? or just make the sensor default and not to detect the issue but the issue is still there?

what i understand the DPF light flashing is caused by:
1. the percentage of oil dilution is over 10%; or
2. the percentage of soot lever is over 85%; or
3. the ash on the DPF is too much.

Anybody has the similar experience? and what should I do now?

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
850 Posts
Hi yujames,

Anybody has the similar experience
I think just about all of us have had this experience! :-0

and what should I do now?
Read on...

My 2016 Subaru outback 2.0 Diesel DPF light flashing as well again. It also happened 3 months ago.
Analyse your driving. If it's mostly urban/around town, even highways in the city, this is likely a contributory, if not the main cause.

If you mainly do freeway/highway in the country, you may have an issue.

Is it only reset up oil dilution sensor?
It is only a reset of the oil dilution calculation. This should be reset every time the oil is changed.

But I am confused about it.... or just make the sensor default and not to detect the issue but the issue is still there?
As far as I know, at least on the older models there is no oil dilution sensor, it is simply a calculation based on accumulated driving conditions, number of regens, distance since last oil dilution reset, etc. The newer diesels (yours) MAY have a sensor or at the very least one for oil overfull.

what i understand the DPF light flashing is caused by:
1. the percentage of oil dilution is over 10%; or
2. the percentage of soot lever is over 85%; or
3. the ash on the DPF is too much.
I think the light is on and steady if you are over the soot level. I think the light flashes for oil dilution. Not sure about ash indication.
You need to get yourself an OBD-II scan tool and read out the parameter valeus and any codes to be really sure.

...and what should I do now? (#2)
Get yourself a scan tool (such as a Bluetooth dongle and Torque Pro on Android) and read out the parameters.

If the light was flashing from oil dilution you need to determine why- was it not reset at the last service, or is the oil getting badly diluted? This may be the result of your driving conditions (see above) or a possible fault somewhere. Check the oil on the dipstick- smell it. If it smells really dieselly (not just slightly) and it's overfull (above the F mark) then it's likely diluted. If it's above the dipstick X mark (if you have one), change the oil and investigate.

If the light is from a soot problem, then you'll need to do a forced regen- initiated by a proper (dealer or mechanic) scan tool. A good freeway drive may do the trick unless it's gone too far.

If it's an ash issue, you'll need the DPF cleaned (an ash clean, not soot clean) and/or replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so so much for your kind of reply. I brought my car to a DPF Mechanic last Friday. After the through inspection, I was told, DPF is pretty clean and no problem at all. Probably it is caused by engine oil dilution again like last time checked by Dealer.

Due to I used the oil reset cheat code above, all of the parameters in system are default. Not many advices could be provided by the mechanic. what is only confirmed is the oil diluted badly to overflow with strong diesel smell.

It sounds that the couple of time DPF light flashing were caused by oil dilution, but don't know why.

Next step, I will change the oil at first, and then look forward to finding out the reason of frequent oil dilution. Do you have any experience or advice about it?

I will share my results of investigation with you if I can get some useful information.

Best Regards
James

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
850 Posts
Hi James,

sorry I haven't replied for a couple of days.

Yes the next thing to do is to change the oil + filter, reset the oil dilution and monitor it.

If you are driving urban (city) driving only, the best solution is actually to get rid of the vehicle for a petrol one. We (wife & I) are currently doing this. There is no real solution for diesel vehicles, at least using the post-injection type of regen Subaru uses, in urban driving with modern emission control systems as they require freeway crusing to complete the DPF regen cycle properly. Otherwise you are bound to be doing regular forced regens at the mechanic/dealer.

Some other things to check are the induction hoses/pipes for cracks/leaks and the joints for loose clamps, especially after the turbo. Note these problems were more common on the early (~2010-2012) vehicles.

Again, I advise getting a OBD-II interface and a scan tool, such as a bluetooth interface (the cheap clone ones are unreliable nowadays) and Torque Pro on android. Then you can actually monitor the oil dilution level, when the regens are occurring and how far between them. Note if you get this, it will work on any vehicle in Australia post 2005 (and 2007 for diesel). The cost is approx $100 for a good dongle and (I think) approx $10 for Torque Pro. That's a total of $110...how much was your last trip to the mechanic? Again, works with any modern car...

Note it is important if a regen is occurring to try to drive on the freeway until it completes. You may be able to tell by the engine sound and response, plus the fuel economy which all generally worsen during the regen process.

Note I may be out of contact for the next week as I will be in a remote area so sorry if I don't reply to any further posts for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts