Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT CVT
Discussion Starter #1
Broken A/C looks to be a popular topic right now, so sorry to pile on, but I'm at a loss.

I have a 2015 XT premium, with the manual AC system.

About a month ago, my blower fan no longer worked at speed 4. I thought nothing of it and moved on with life. (mistake 1)

A couple weeks ago, it stopped working at speed 1 and 2. Leaving me with just speed 3. I was busy and figured I could still live with it.

Now, it doesn't work at all. I've checked blower fan & AC fuses, all are good. I've checked the connections, and they all to be good. The blower fan is also not clogged with rodent nests (first thing I checked)

When I turn the blower dial, I can hear a click noise at certain positions; which positions seems to change each time I experiment, but is consistent within each experiment. If I can get the blower fan to be "on" (assuming a click = on), then I turn the AC on, I can hear the AC start up.

My best guess right now is a bad blower motor, but that seems inconsistent with the symptoms I saw while it was dying.

Has anyone seen this before or have any advice I might have missed in my admitted ignorance?

Thanks to all respond!! 馃惣

Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
@PoisedPanda I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

This is for the '09-'13, but perhaps it will help with the troubleshooting:
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Registered
usually the speeds are resistor controlled the fan would blow at full speed if not, the resistors will be a circuit card that is between the power source and the fan itself, the part is often cheap, but poorly made

Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT CVT
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the warm welcome and for the link!! I did some quick research, and it looks like the 2015 uses that same part, so I went out and found it in my car. Unlike the other thread, my outboard resistor looks fine. However, the 4 connections looked rusty and corroded which seemed like it might be an issue.
I'll probably go ahead and order a new one and see if that fixes it, especially because the price is still ~$30. I'll update when I know if that worked or not.

Thanks again Bobby

Attachments

Administrator
@PoisedPanda I'm assuming those rusty tabs connect the external connector to the resistor board. Are those tabs riveted on to the circuit board? If so, perhaps you could drill them off, clean off the rust & reassemble with screws & nuts?

I attached the resistor measurement testing procedure from the Subaru technical service manual. Note this is for the '09-'13.

Bobby...

Attachments

Registered
2001 Forester
I had a similar issue with my 2001 Forester. In my case the issue was fixed by replacing the FAN Relay a non-Subaru 40Amp 12V Relay. I have attached what the original relay and relay terminal looked like.

Attachments

Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT CVT
Discussion Starter #7
Bobby, I checked the resistor measurements and they more or less match (~.1 ohm difference). guess the resistor still works, even though its ugly!

bman, did your relay still click when you tried to turn the van on? i've located my relay, but it still clicks at around fan speed 1, although it doesn't anywhere else in the range

Administrator
Good to know the blower resistor tests good!

Here's the blower motor general diagnostic table (repair order) from the '09-'13 Subaru technical service manual.

Bobby...

Attachments

Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT CVT
Discussion Starter #9
For posterity's sake, this ended up being bad control electronics behind the fan control knob. Something went wrong and shorted, the plastic of the connector melted and the control knob no longer connected.

Registered
2014 2.5i Premium
For posterity's sake, this ended up being bad control electronics behind the fan control knob. Something went wrong and shorted, the plastic of the connector melted and the control knob no longer connected.
@PoisedPanda, did your service department end up doing the repair or were you able to switch out the part yourself? I'm experiencing a similar issue with the blower knob on my 2014 Forester (2.5i premium).

Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT CVT
Discussion Starter #12
@justback They ordered the part for me, but told me it would be 2 - 4 weeks before they could fit me in. I asked if I could just pay them for the part and do the install myself as I had the following week off... somehow they found space to fit me in 2 days later for ~25% off! 馃槤 It took them a couple hours, but it fixed the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts