Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son decided to change his own oil on his new to him 2015 XT 2.0 Forester. He accidentally drained the CVT transmission, instead of the oil pan, and then proceeded to add the recommended amount of oil to the crankcase, now doubling the amount of oil! He started the engine and drove about a mile with it acting erratic before I believe it stalled on him. He lives 140 miles from the closest dealer and is having the car towed to them. Does anyone have an idea how catastrophic this is to the engine and CVT tranny? This is his first car after just graduating college and he is distraught over what this may cost. Dealer told him it may push $14K! Any knowledge on this or advice would be helpful! I don’t know if he needs a new engine and CVT. I would like to be able to give him some hope that this might not be as costly as total replacement, based upon the great knowledge of this group. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update- My sons car was at the dealership for almost a month, and Subaru ended up installing a new transmission and said his engine was fine. He had to pay $1500 out of pocket. Happy for him that it wasn’t a lot more expensive!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts