Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring HT-CVT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I’ve been on here and I’m back with some crap news. Got rear ended for the FOURTH time in my 2015 fozz XT on Friday... but this time it’s not just a bumper cover like the other times.

So I’m sitting at a red light when I look in my rear view (habit now after all the rear hits) and see a black Tahoe going way too fast to stop. Not sure how fast he was going when he hit me but it wasn’t more than 30mph I don’t think.

Damage is significant, rear bumper done, hatch done, rear quarter pushed forward and creased, exhaust was pushed forward, seams on rear passenger door out of alignment, spare wheel pan crumpled mildly, rear passenger wheel well pushed forward towards rear tire, and the inside of the rear hatch is WAY out of alignment. Plus I got pushed into the car in front of me so the front bumper cover is finished as well.

The car drives okay but with some nasty exhaust noise but the damage is pretty significant.

Based on the pics, you guys think she’s reparable or is it possible it might get totalled? I have no experience repairing unibody cars when they get twisted like this. Insurance is taking care of everything just to clear that up.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 Forester LL Bean
168 Posts
They'll definitely fix it. That's a mild frame rack pull, then they'll measure and determine if it warrants a sectioned quarter and inner pans. It's new enough and is the XT, so it's not likely at all that it's totaled.

Always keep in mind that all insurance companies operate on a +/- 70% threshold for total loss. If the vehicle's NADA value is 15,000, it will need about $10,500 of damage in order to total it. Again, this is not likely here.

·
Registered
2011 Forester
75 Posts
I think it could be totaled. For it to make it into the rear doors and crush the spare tire pan it’s pretty significant.
Demand OEM parts and look into submitting a diminished value claim. Thats significant enough damage that it will lose value. Mentioning all that may push them to just total it.

·
Registered
'06 Forester LL Bean
168 Posts
I think it could be totaled. For it to make it into the rear doors and crush the spare tire pan it’s pretty significant.
Demand OEM parts and look into submitting a diminished value claim. Thats significant enough damage that it will lose value. Mentioning all that may push them to just total it.
This is an extremely common type of collision repair, and nothing that's likely to cause a total loss on a three model year old, highest trim level vehicle. Like I mentioned above, it's just a mild pull, then possibly sectioned pan or quarter(s).

For reference on all repairs like this, where you might have questions about OEM vs aftermarket vs used:

There's a good chance they'll use OEM parts, but only because it's a newer car which might not have an approved aftermarket bumper available. However, you'll never be able to "demand" OEM parts, especially new OEM, and they'd never write for that if there was a chance it would junk it. That's just not the way it works.

If you want OEM, but the offending insured's company wrote to replace with aftermarket, it's just the way it goes. If you decide it's a requirement for you to have OEM, and you'll take nothing less, you can request it all you'd like, but they're probably not going to move on it. "Like-kind replacement" is often quoted when discussing insurance repairs, as is "pre-accident condition". Unfortunately neither of those things requires them to honor your request to use OEM, only to repair the vehicle to an equivalent visual and structural condition as it was before the accident.

At that point, your only course of action is going to be paying the difference for OEM, or submitting a comp claim to your own insurance company for the difference. You could discuss the matter with your agent and see if there's a chance your company would step in and help you out, by offering the differential amount or fighting the other company to get them to pay for OEM, but that's not likely.

Even if you get OEM (and yes, even if your own policy says "OEM replacement"), there's a very good chance that you'll get used OEM parts, not brand new. This is one of the least understood parts about insurance repairs on newer vehicles. People tweak out when they're told they're getting used parts, but OEM does not mean new, and it never will.

The diminished value claim is something I never had experience with, since that has nothing to do with the body shop repair. I'd definitely suggest looking into it though, at least to see if it's an option.

I know it looks like a story book, but I just wanted to step in and give some solid info for anyone who might come across this thread and wonder about your comment and if it might apply to their repairs in the future. Hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
4 Posts
Hope you went after the diminished value claim - that will be separate from any collision or injury claim/reimbursements. The other insurance company won't bring it up but just mentioning it can bring you results. I got 2k after being rear-ended in my 2015 last year, so the amounts can be substantial especially for newer vehicles and higher trim levels. Your damages look to be less than mine (around 7k) but it sounds like what I had - damaged frame rails, new rear gate, doors out of alignment etc. , so might be in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT sport mode
55 Posts
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I’ve been on here and I’m back with some crap news. Got rear ended for the FOURTH time in my 2015 fozz XT on Friday... but this time it’s not just a bumper cover like the other times.

So I’m sitting at a red light when I look in my rear view (habit now after all the rear hits) and see a black Tahoe going way too fast to stop. Not sure how fast he was going when he hit me but it wasn’t more than 30mph I don’t think.

Damage is significant, rear bumper done, hatch done, rear quarter pushed forward and creased, exhaust was pushed forward, seams on rear passenger door out of alignment, spare wheel pan crumpled mildly, rear passenger wheel well pushed forward towards rear tire, and the inside of the rear hatch is WAY out of alignment. Plus I got pushed into the car in front of me so the front bumper cover is finished as well.

The car drives okay but with some nasty exhaust noise but the damage is pretty significant.

Based on the pics, you guys think she’s reparable or is it possible it might get totalled? I have no experience repairing unibody cars when they get twisted like this. Insurance is taking care of everything just to clear that up.

Cheers.
I had my 2015 forester xt rear ended also. The body shop quoted $8.8k for the repair/replace/labor

I noticed the doors, panels were twisted and out of alignment. The door was kinda stuck to open and close.

The body shopped deemed it totaled when they said they couldn't align things back properly and if they did, it wouldn't seem as safe.

They cashed us out for $21.6k and we bought a 2018 xt.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
16 Posts
OUCH! I just got a 2018 XT and do NOT look forward to my first ding, let alone this. =( Bummer bout your Bumper!

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
47 Posts
I had a similar collision in my 15 2.5i without the rear door damage and no front damage. It was over 8k for mine so there is a real possibility of a total. Sorry and hope you are doing well. I had back muscle spasms afterword which to say the least sucks.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring HT-CVT
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys sorry for not posting an update about this but here’s the details.

The car was repaired, to the tune of 13k Canadian dollars. There was a little frame pull and the rear quarter was cut out and replaced but that’s the way it goes. Took over a month to get the car back.

Guy who hit me wrote his Tahoe off as the front end was pushed way back. Kind of funny that the fozz took that big thing down.

The car is driving fine, repairs seem solid and I’m happy about that. I couldn’t go after diminished value because we don’t have those laws up here. Basically stuck with this car till it dies and I’m fine with that, it’s perfect for my lifestyle.

All in all it worked out okay, it obviously sucks to get smashed but the car seems alright at this point a year later.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you explain the diminished value claim. 2019 sport with 3k miles just got rear ended. It’s a lot worse than these pictures. I’m amazed the insurance companies are talking fix when they haven’t looked at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts