Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Forester XT Touring
1,421 Posts
Like I told you via PM, you aren't dealing with the same system that the 2014-2016 owners dealt with. That's why you aren't getting any answers. It's because you are trying to do something none of us did. It's not a matter of the seats fitting, as I'm pretty sure they will. It's the electronics, airbags, and occupant sensors that could be different. Additionally, almost all of us that have done the swap are USDM vehicles. Not sure that your situation would be the same as ours, even if you had a 2014-2016.

Moral of the story? You're the guy that's going to be the guinea pig on that particular swap. Godspeed @richard_crl032 I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
62 Posts
Hey Raz007,

I had somehow missed your PM and thanks for the response which means a lot since you are one of the few here that foresters owners benefitted from on this wrx sti seat swap for the forester.

Noted on your comment and will attempt to follow the instruction provided by the forester owner at minikara japan to proceed but had hoped that someone found solution for US ride and seats for this heated and non heated seat swap which one of the owner who bought your wrx seat encountered.

Thanks again and my confidence in this forum had been regained.

BTW, in the sunny hot weather of Singapore, I routed the foot and underseat vents to have vw touren's outlet vents in my rear seat aircon ... indeed strange that this sizable SUV does not have rear aircon but guess subaru realised and fix this in "sk" 2019 version.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Registered
2017 XT
9 Posts
Some more info here on this.

I swapped in 2015 WRX Limited Leather heated seats into my 2017 Touring XT

Heads up: With the 2017 Touring XT model, IT IS NOT PLUG AND PLAY for the drivers side.
My guess is that the wiring harness is different bc this model has memory seats. (I might be incorrect but it's my best guess)

The passenger seat does plug and play/swap right in.
The drivers side required tracing power/ground for: Seat Heaters, Seat Motor, and Seat belt sensor. And I ended up splicing with butt connectors for now. If you're methodical about tracing the wires it's not too bad- but it was slow going for a few hours.

The airbag sensors for BOTH driver and passenger are plug and play. No worries there.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, HUGE help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Forester
62 Posts
Like I told you via PM, you aren't dealing with the same system that the 2014-2016 owners dealt with. That's why you aren't getting any answers. It's because you are trying to do something none of us did. It's not a matter of the seats fitting, as I'm pretty sure they will. It's the electronics, airbags, and occupant sensors that could be different. Additionally, almost all of us that have done the swap are USDM vehicles. Not sure that your situation would be the same as ours, even if you had a 2014-2016.

Moral of the story? You're the guy that's going to be the guinea pig on that particular swap. Godspeed @richard_crl032 I hope it works out for you.
Hi Raz,

Fitted the rhd 2015 jdm wrx sti limited full leather passenger and driver seats from Japan into my rhd 2017 Oct forester xt sjg version D without any trouble at all with 101% original functionalities with memory seats and automated fob saved setting... with good advice to swap the rails from owners here.

Nothing much to share here since all harnesses and connectors are plug n play including the side plastic covers ... they are essentially the same seats.

On concern that my stock seat are without heaters and these wrx sti are, there is simply additional separate socket not plugged in and nothing for BCM of forester to detect any error ... vice versa may not likely work.

Also managed to install the aftermarket lumbar support from amazon which is great for even more fine tuning .. interesting to see that the wrx seats came with seat covers with lumbar support switch which means they do have that option although my seats came without it.

This closes my major mods together with rear aircon, 6/4 bbk 356mm F/R rotor, rack removal, ICE installation with fiberglassed A pillar together boxed midbass & sub, IAG AOS etc. after 6 mths ownership.

Time to enjoy the ride ...

Cheers.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester
17 Posts
My turn, after flirting with selling the XT I stumbled across a set of leather heated WRX seats on Ebay and decided to do the swap.

The wiring harness on the passenger side isn't matching up. There's several references in this thread to the occupant detection sensor but no pictures or descriptions of the difference in the wiring. My wiring diagram isn't matching up to what I'm seeing so I'm a bit a stuck. The yellow and gray connectors matched up perfectly.

On the passenger side there's two wiring harnesses with white connectors coming out from the floor; a 4 wire and a 2 wire. On the XT seat they connect to a relay zip tied to the bottom of the seat. The relay then has two, 2 wire harnesses that disappear into the XT seat. The WRX seat has one 3 wire white connector.

EDIT:
Nope, no air bag warning at startup and the occupant sensor is working. Maybe the WRX seats I bought aren't heated?

2014 Forester XT Premium

·
Registered
2017 Forester
62 Posts
Hi,

Means all ok ? Great news !

Cannot help to advise cos my Singapore sjg fxt and the jdm wrx sti just plug and play with 100% matched connectors except nothing to plug for the heated jdm seats since stock is without.

Cheers.

Richard

·
Registered
2018 Forester/Legacy
1 Posts
I am posting after doing something very different in the seat swapping realm. I kept the stock XT seat but used the power rail setup from a WRX seat. It worked as to creating a much lower riding profile considering I had half an inch of head room. I also used an Impreza manual seat rail for the passenger side. So anyone interested in keeping the stock seat but get more room this option does work.

Sadly it didn't solve the main issue of the seat belt stabbing me in my sciatic nerve (I'm a bigger guy) I still had to adjust my seat or shift to sitting up against the door. So I am now driving a new Legacy, loosing the amazing performance but gaining the comfort I need in my commute.

After taking all the effort to try it wasn't all in vain luckily, my brother also has an XT so my loss his gain. I am just now in possession of an useless leather WRX seat without rails but good everything else. Maybe I will have an office chair with an airbag.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
62 Posts
any other '17 owner did the wrx/sti swap? the support on the stock forester seats are pretty non-existent
Hi, what do you need to know ? Many info already here including photos in my provided *** link best via chrome with goggle translate option.

There are a couple of jdm wrx sti limited seats on ebay that should be plug and play bearing thr consideration if yours is with heater else it would throw an ECU error if one without heater is swapped. Cheers. Richard

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
12 Posts
i believe the passenger is a straight swap.
The driver side might be a bit tough because i have memory seats.
Not sure how that factors into the swap

·
Registered
2017 Forester
62 Posts
i believe the passenger is a straight swap.
The driver side might be a bit tough because i have memory seats.
Not sure how that factors into the swap
Hi Yudangorgor, no sweat .. both are straight swap if compatible 2015+ wrx limited sti seats as in my case also with memory driver seat. The memory electronics are separate. Just ensure seat are raised to separate the seat from the railing if swapping them and have the correct tools to do so. Only concern so far I read is getting non heated seats when original is heated and you get error code due to missing heaters .. mine in hot Singapore are not heated and no issue. Cheers. Richard

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT CVT
4 Posts
What about the plastic pieces?

I just swapped to leather WRX STi seats and they are so much better than the stock XT seats. On the passenger side I re-used the rear plastic pieces. But what do people do on the driver side to cover the seat rail rear bolt holes? I bought some WRX plastic pieces thinking they would work with the lower seat rails, but they don't. I think the rear footwell on a WRX must dip down lower than in the Forester meaning the pieces don't fit.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT CVT
4 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to cover the seat rail bolt holes after doing the STi seat swap. I tried the Forester ones, didn't work as seat rails now lower. Got some WRX covers, didn't work because I guess the footwell dips down much lower on WRX and the plastic is shaped to match. The Forester rear footwell has 3 inches of foam below the carpet to make the floor level with front. I could just leave it to fill with dirt and dust, but would rather cover it up if I can.

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
Here's some quick info to add to this thread. I upgraded my 2017 xt premium to a 2018 xt touring with full intention of not keeping the stock seats. I'm 6'3 with a more slender build so the wrx seat length being longer and having bolstering is a welcome upgrade. My legs and low back would kill from hanging in the air with no support on the stock seats. I took the 2016 wrx limited seat out of the 2017 when I traded it in. As others have confirmed it was plug and play, just low to the ground without swapping rails. I didn't realize the wiring in the touring was going to be so different because of the memory seats but I figured out a work around. I simply disassembled both seats by taking the leather and foam portions off. Pretty intuitive what you need to do but not for the faint of heart either, about 1.5ish hours. The lower wrx cushion attached easily and everything plugged right in. The wrx upper seat back cushion required just a little foam trimming on the right side because the xt has a lumber motor with a big white cover on that side which isn't hollowed out in the wrx foam. All wiring was plug and play for the top as well. Gotta say, being on the taller side, it's even better than when it was on the wrx lower rails in the 2017 since I've now got it on the higher stock forester rails. Sad the xt didn't come with an ottoman but didn't want to spend 40k plus or like the look of the new outback or ascent so going to enjoy this one for a while or until they start making something more performance oriented again.

·
Registered
2017 Outback
113 Posts
I've read this whole tread and i'm still not sure if a 2015 WRX bottom seat cushion can replace a 2015 Forester Limited bottom seat cushion. I'm talking about just the foam cushion and the uphostery. Will this bolt right onto the Forester's rails?
I would keep the Forester's seat back as it came from the factory.
My Forester seats are electric with seat heaters.
My goal is lateral support and a softer seat Thanks, guys!

261 - 279 of 279 Posts