Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here I am itching to get into a new ride (again). I'm currently driving a modded 08 FXT Sport MT with about 108k kms. Car has been very good to me having no issues at all the motor is running very strong and healthy. Best MPG I got was 25-26MPG when I needed to take the highway to work and was driving "a bit" slower. Nowadays, I'm getting about 16MPG 100% city driving with 10-15mins commute to work. Will take it to the highway sometimes for a blast.

Anyway, very intrigued with the new 2015 WRX and I'm thinking of getting the mid-trim model with CVT (yes CVT!) I'm looking for an auto so that's why I'm looking at the WRX and GTi as both are exact same price point from where I am.
What interests me the most on the new WRX is the new FA motor and the impressive low end torque. New Brake Vectoring tech, better steering rack, and most importantly, the chassis! While I love my FXT (for whatever reason that is) sometimes the terrible steering rack and squishy chassis gets to me. I remind myself this isn't a sports car, but an SUV, still it is lowered to WRX heights so it is hard to not consider it a sports wagon.

As for the GTI, it has been getting rave reviews and it has a hatch! Such as shame the WRX is no longer offered in hatch style. For the same price, the GTi gives me the excellent Fender audio system, awesome interior and seats, great ride, excellent steering feel.
However, my concern is the DSG reliability and VW reliability overall as we've owned Japanese cars only. Going back to FWD isn't going to be easy and we don't have the Performance Pack available until a later time. The monthly payment is also about $70 more and higher interest rate.
Our experience in owning German? We had a GTI in the late 80s and that was just a horrendous POS. Perhaps we should give it a try once again? But I don't like the idea of being stranded especially if I wanted to get out of town.

I am looking to lease maybe 2 years max. May or may not sell my current FXT, don't know. Ultimately, I want a Turbo'd Crosstrek or the new Mazda2 with a decent engine, but neither seems like it is going to happen anytime soon.

Oh, modding a car seems like an endless money pit. I've spent quite a bit but still not completely satisfied. I think it has to stop lol.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2015 XT premium The one without the fun pedal
831 Posts
I came from a loaded Volkswagen Tdi Jetta equipped with the DSG transmission and was very impressed with it. I must admit the thought of having it fail once out of warranty was a scary proposition though. I do miss the fit and finish of the VW interior which was much more refined than Subaru's Forester or WRX. The stereo was also worlds better with 10 speakers standard and a 6 disc changer in the dash. I understand the Fender stereo in the GTI is something like 400 watts standard? The Volkswagens built from the mid 80's to the late 90's were well known to have some serious build quality issues, however by the early 2000's they really started to get their stuff in order and put out a better quality product. I never had any issues in three years of owning my 09 VW and my 01 VW was also for the most part trouble free.
Your decision is going to be a tough one, both cars have their strengths as well as their shortfalls. As most people will tell you, give them both a good long test drive and decide which will suit your needs better.

·
Registered
2010 FXT slush-box
661 Posts
GTI curious

Yep, the car guys really like the new GTI

The last time Car and Driver salivated so much in a review of a sub $100k car was on the 2002 WRX (and I bought one).

Before that they were drooling all over the 2000 BMW M5 (which I also had).

I'm not even in the market now, but may have to sneak out to drive one of these......

Jeff

·
Registered
2010 forester x manual
66 Posts
if I were looking for an "auto" I would opt for the GTI and the dsg ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE ONLY LOOKING AT A 2 YEAR RUN... it is a great trans as far as autos go. I have had a few gti's late 80's and early 90's, they are subaru remenisent with all the noise and rattles!
the fact that the veedub is so much more refined almost makes it ok to get an auto box as well...

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
629 Posts
For only 2 years, any reliability issues should be covered by warranty. Buy the hatchback GTI unless you are keeping the Forester. I am so disappointed by the lack of a new WRX hatchback that I bought a Forester, (need an automatic for my bride) but I keep my cars for a decade plus usually. No more European maintenance issues for me as the car goes off warranty, been down that road. Enjoy the GTI!!

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,050 Posts
I'd get the WRX. I've owned german engineered cars before, and VW is like Chrysler. Don't stray too far from a mechanic that can fix your car on a daily basis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts