Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

Does anybody happen to know how to get that nice 15' WRX/STI gauge on the Multi Functional Display of the SJ?

Is it somehow programmable or do I need to make a HW swap of the WRX MFD to SJ? (display itself)

Any idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing has been confirmed
One guy overseas succeded to install it in his SJ (as you can see on the pic) but as far as I understood initially he didn't have any MFD in his car. So he needed all other parts and buttons to be installed. You may see few pictures here: ??????? STI. ????? ? ???.

But finally he paired his SJ with 15 WRX MFD (he purchased it separately).

So my concern was whether we need that MFD to be replaced as a piece of HW to get that gauge? Heard nothing about any changes in the SW yet...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure it's just a software reprogram to add another screen view. The MFD is the exact same unit as the WRX's.
I was also sure before I found that post on another forum. The guy didn't have any MFD but after installation of the STI MFD he bought separately (it's a kind of magic?) he got that gauge! Not SJ gauge but STI!

That post makes me thinking that the only way to get a WRX gauge on the MFD is just to buy an STI MFD. At the same time that really sounds crazy :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
My guess is that it comes down to the software flashed on to the mfd. I'd guess if we could update our software, we could have that gauge. In the absence of being able to update our software, the next best thing is buying the WRX/STI mfd.

I wonder if dealers can update/reprogram/re-flash the mfds? that would be cool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just one more point.

I checked with Subaru dealer and it seems that MFD PN for WRX and STI is identical, but FXT has different PN for the MFD.

???????????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is that it comes down to the software flashed on to the mfd. I'd guess if we could update our software, we could have that gauge. In the absence of being able to update our software, the next best thing is buying the WRX/STI mfd.

I wonder if dealers can update/reprogram/re-flash the mfds? that would be cool.
Dealers don't care about it and don't want to put their hands on it 😠

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just one more point.

I checked with Subaru dealer and it seems that MFD PN for WRX and STI is identical, but FXT has different PN for the MFD.

???????????
Yes, you're right about the part numbers being different. I had researched it a little and saw that there were a few different part numbers for the WRX MFD but couldn't figure out what was what. Assuming one was for CVT, 6spd, base, limited, etc. I started this research only bc I saw a WRX MFD on ebay and thought about getting it just to experiment but soon dropped the idea after I realized that the WRX has a toggle switch by the flash hazard button that controls it rather than the steering wheel controls. The steering wheel controls on the WRX control the cluster display.

I might still try it out if I get the time.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
The reason for the different part numbers is they both work differently.

wrx/sti the steeringwheel buttons do not control their mfd. They have a switch below the hazard button that does it.

Their steering buttons control some dash options only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, you're right about the part numbers being different. I had researched it a little and saw that there were a few different part numbers for the WRX MFD but couldn't figure out what was what. Assuming one was for CVT, 6spd, base, limited, etc. I started this research only bc I saw a WRX MFD on ebay and thought about getting it just to experiment but soon dropped the idea after I realized that the WRX has a toggle switch by the flash hazard button that controls it rather than the steering wheel controls. The steering wheel controls on the WRX control the cluster display.

I might still try it out if I get the time.
Hello.

Do you happen to remember the price tag for the WRX MFD on ebay?

I think that toggle switch on WRX is just a matter of interface. Based on the info from the first post WRX MFD was successfully installed in SJ and was linked to the controls on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I highly doubt that there will ever be any sort of firmware update, and the MFD has one option for data, and that is the canbus, to think that Subaru would have opened the controller to reflashing with such simple and few displays would really amaze me, as options like that drive up unit cost (we can't even get vanity mirror lights, ffs).

Now if one were to compare the pinouts of the WRX MFD and the Foz MFD, if the arrangement is the same (to include canbus) then its possible it could be a plug and play type of modification assuming the bus message formats are the same? Here's the pinouts for the Foz....

Screenshot_2015-03-26-23-08-47.jpg
Screenshot_2015-03-26-23-09-10.jpg
Screenshot_2015-03-26-23-09-27.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts