Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i 6 Speed
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Forester 2.5 6 speed manual. I have 140,000 miles and was wondering when I should change the belt, timing chain, and fluids? I have done oil changes, break pads, tires, 02 sensor, air filter, cabin filter, and rear wheel bearings. All else is stock. Also wondering if rotors ever go bad? I do the break pads myself. A few mechanics have said to not change break fluid, trans fluid, or anti freeze. I am mostly concerned about the belt and timing chain.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
2,961 Posts
Brake fluid absorbs moisture and therefore should be changed every 2 years. Coolant/antifreeze should also be changed but I am not certain of the interval as you drive a 2015 model. You either have a timing belt or a timing chain, but not both. Timing belts are 105,0000 miles or 8 years.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
167 Posts
140K is just past the lifespan of "SUBARU Super Coolant"

"Vehicles are filled at the factory with SUBARU Super Coolant that does not require the first change for 11 years/137,500 miles (11 years/220,000 km). This coolant should not be mixed with any other brand or type of coolant during this period. Mixing with a different coolant will reduce the life of the coolant. Should it be necessary to top up the coolant for any reason, use only SUBARU Super Coolant. If the SUBARU Super Coolant is diluted with another brand or type, the maintenance interval is shortened to that of the mixing coolant."

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
90 Posts
You have a timing chain, all Fozz 2.5 and 2.0s use a chain that doesn't require any replacement. Were you referring to the serpentine belt for your accessory drive, I usually change those out around 50-60k just to be on the safe side. You can definitely look at the belt for any obvious wear or fraying. I also like to change out the front and rear differential fluid around 40k-50k. Have you changed spark plugs?

Definitely get that brake fluid changed out, you're way overdue.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,496 Posts
Yes, Subaru switched to a timing chain starting with MY 2014. It is rated for lifetime, and we have not yet encountered any reports of breakage or associated problems.

·
Registered
2014 ForesterXT CVT
5 Posts
Iridium plugs will easily go 150k in a properly running/tuned/driven engine so replacing them at a specific mileage is unnecessary. They are essentially a lifetime part in many cases. I pulled the plugs in my Silverado at that 150k mark and they still looked new. They now have 238k on them and unless I have a need...I'll leave them in. Now, the real weak link are the coil packs...I'd replace them before the plugs. It's funny because so many people think that at the first sign of running rough, they'll replace the plugs and "so long as I'm at it"...replace the wires or packs when the reality now with such long lasting materials, is that it was probably the WIRES and/or the PACKS which were the issue in the first place!

I've run a number of Subies over 250k and I never followed a schedule for fluid replacement. I'm guessing I changed the diffs every 40-60k. Whenever I was thinking about it, I'd draw all of the fluid out of the brake/steering reservoirs and add new. No...not a flush but again, I never felt the need to replace it all and that practice has seen me through roughly a million miles of driving here in Wisconsin so if it a'int broke...Coolant? Again...I know for a fact that the coolant in one of my trucks(factory fill) is 11 years and 238k old...still looks and performs fine and I've never ever scheduled a coolant replacement. I suppose if you don't drive much it's needed but I put a lot of miles on. Now, on my older Subies, when I did the timing belt service(every 100-110k) I went ahead and replaced the coolant so it never saw that much mileage but with a chain you never need to service it but I WOULD replace the water pump if you ever get it to the 200k mark. As a matter of practice I replace coolant whenever I drain the system for any reason if the coolant has more than 50k on it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts