Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2015 - Wheels don't spin freely - Jacked up question? 😂

5K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  titleman 
#1 ·
Hey guys I jacked up my forester so all 4 wheels were free to spin but some didn't spin freely when in drive, I tool the brake calipers off cleaned them up and regreased them, still my back left and front right don't spin. Is this my brakes sticking or is this a power management thing?
Brake pads seem evenly worn and still plenty of life but contemplating replacing them now... Thoughts please 😊🙏

#6 ·
because of the all-wheel drive, the wheels are connected in some configuration. When it's in drive, they are connected to your engine through your transmission. Effectively, you are trying to overcome the friction in your torque converter and then you're trying to turn the engine over.

If it was a Front Wheel drive vehicle, you also wouldn't be able to spin both wheels while it was in Park (or Drive).

#11 ·
I would say that BFG A/T's are the worst tire possible for gas mileage. It's not your wheel bearings, it's 120 lbs of heavy rubber acting like a giant pencil eraser on the road, along with sucking up power every time you accelerate. Get a low rolling resistance tire if you want max mileage.

#14 ·
They're just my winters, I worded it wrong, its not about maxing out my milage, its about making sure im getting decent milage from the setup I have (I was concerned something wasnt quite normal when my car was jacked up I expected all 4 wheels to rotate freely whilst in drive)

#12 ·
All wheel drive and 4 wheel drive get the worst gas milage for anything... and Subarus (at least older ones) dont have the best gas milage as an engine, anyway. (compaired to other brands and alternatives). Subarus are made the way they are for a reason. they go everywhere and need power and torque to do so. So, for gas milage efficiency, Subarus arent the best. My car is just a 4H engine and still gets around 21/26 mpg rating (AWD and engine). where as other 4 cylinder engines of other brands tend to get much better fuel econimy (but these are more often than not, 2 wheel drive). Add the fact that it is an AWD car, the fuel efficiency is worse. for perspective, my car gets 21/26 mpg and its a 4 cylinder car. One of my family's cars was a toyota hylander. it got 24/34 mpg and it was a 4 wheel drive car with a 6 cylinder car. lol. Subarus arent made strictly for economy. ;) But Subaru still rules when it comes to AWD cars!🤗

#17 ·
You probably would have to lean the fuel mixture out alittle to get better gas mileage. Just a few catches. 1) It will be a leaner mix, meaning your cooling system better work cause its gonna get alittle warmer under that hood. 2) You would have to take it to a tuning shop to actually tune it, unless you got a setup for that. 3) may foul the spark plugs a little sooner for potential overheating if you tend to have a lead foot ;). 4) You may end up loosing power (if that's of any concern). If im not wrong, cars are typically tuned alittle on the lean side for slightly better fuel economy and pollutants. Usually when getting a car retuned for HP (without engine modding), they richen the fuel amount. So, you would be tuning it even more to run on the lean side. And so, as mentioned above, power will be cut down alittle and cant keep the engine constantly lugging hard and resting in the higher (than normal) RPM range. But, it is an option. Idk. Just wanted to through that out there :). (Sorry, kept with the mileage war lol)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.