Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I took my '15 (111k mi, mainly Northeast driving) into the shop for some work a few weeks ago. They said my left-rear wheel bearing was starting to wear out and wanted $600 to replace it. I decided to try and replace it myself - a poor decision because it's rusted to all hell on there.

After days of soaking in PB Blaster, heat torches, hub extractor tools, and beating on it with a sledge for days, all I've managed to do is separate the hub assembly in front/back pieces. Any advice? I'm at a loss for what to do now. At this point I'd even take the L and have the mechanics do it, but I'm not even sure I could get it back on without damaging the axle in the process. Thanks in advance.

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
209 Posts
At this point I would try hitting the flat-edge above the top bolt hole, to try and twist the hub loose.
Maybe a 2 or 3 pound hammer, a few wacks over one and then the other to twist the hub a little.

Sometimes with a car you have to rock it, to get unstuck.

Good luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Had a similar issue with my son's '02 Forester in 2014. The rear bearing were so bad and removal was so difficult that the cheaper and easier thing to do was to go to a junkyard and get a whole rear end. At the time, I was told that it was (still is?) a common problem with older Subarus that lived their life in salted roads.

·
Premium Member
‘14 FXTT; '15 Legacy FB25
1,116 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I spent days trying to get it out and finally gave up and had it towed. What a poop show that was.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.0 Diesel
47 Posts
The same thing happened to me as well. Ended up with removing the whole housing from the car and beat the remains of the wheel bearing out from the rear. I screwed back in the bolts for the wheel bearing, but not all the way. Then I used an extension bar with the appropriate socket on the bolt heads and gave it some good whacks with a big hammer. You may have to work your way around the four bolts in a circle pattern.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone have success in reattaching the rest of the hub? I've got it stuck in my garage and it's my only daily driver, so I'd limp it a few miles to a garage if I needed to. Or even just out of the garage so I could have it towed.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5i, 6-speed manual, moon-roof, fog lights, skid-plates, winch, 2nd bedroom
209 Posts
To get it out of the garage for towing you can use a dolly to support the axle, most wreckers carry this type of equipment as it helps in moving damaged cars. Talk to a few towing companies if you decide to tow it, they are use to getting a car to a point where they can tow it.

The inner part of the hub is pressed in to the outer part so to put it back together, you need a way to force it together. A press or a front wheel bearing adapter kit, are commonly used to press a hub into a wheel bearing. Putting a dolly under the car would be easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts