Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0i MT
17 Posts
I was having in mind other than the front-rear issue. Does it cut the power the same way even when it's in the off position ? Could be pretty annyoing considering there is no torque converter to keep you from stalling.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual
32 Posts
Another year around, we have plenty of snow, frozen lakes etc... jealous of wrx, stis and older foresters having some winter fun and i`m just sitting in my fozy and fighting with unbeatable VDC system :)
So is there any workaround found to completely deactivate VDC on 14+ models?

·
Registered
2015 Forester Prem 6M
23 Posts
Disable VDC 14+ Forester

Yes, there is a work around on the 14+ models... it kills VDC, ABS and hill assist. =) No limp mode! How I accomplished it was unplugging the rear right wheel speed sensor. I do not know if any sensor will work but that is the one that I did and it worked fine so no need to try more. I use this work around for RallyCross.

Turn the car off unplug.. turn the car on and you are good to go. I would recommend turning off your MFD screen because the warning lights will continue to blink. You will have the three warming lights on the dash (hill assist, VDC, ABS). To reengage turn off the car and plug the connector back together and restart and you are good to go.

The Rear ABS Wheel Speed Sensor is located just behind the rear seats. To gain access to the connector. Fold down the rear seats, pull up on the fabric connected to the trunk area that is connect to the bottom of the back of the rear seat; it is clipped in and snaps right back into place. It is easiest to see the connect from the rear passengers door. It is just tucked away underneath the black plastic that runs across the width of the car. I will upload some photos later today.

While this is not difficult it is time consuming and if you want to play in the snow and engage all of the safety features it is not very practical, so I spliced into the wires and ran a switch to the dash to make life easy. Also I was concerned about wearing out the connectors. So I spliced in behind the connection.. only issue is that if the Wheel speed sensor goes bad I will have to re-splice my wires. No biggie, I chose this over splicing into the main wiring of the car. My original plan was for find some additional connectors and run the wires from there but could not find them and gave up.

Anyway for what it is worth that is what I found.. I will take some photos of what I did and where the connector is this afternoon and post them.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Prem 6M
23 Posts
Disable VDC 14+ Forester

Okay all here are some photos of what I described earlier.. sorry I do not have step by step photos.. I did not think of it until I had everything back together...
-Fold down the seats
-Pull up the lower backing of the rear sear
-Use a screwdriver to push in the tab to disconnect... note the connector towards the front to the car is connected so the rear connector pulls out and you are done.
-I spliced into the rear wiring and since it was a double wire connector ran 4 wires to the front and installed a DPST switch to save me from getting in the truck to disconnect.
-I ran the wires under the rear seat (which was removed) under the trim by the doors.. I was thinking I was going to have to remove the drivers seat but was able to fish the wires under the trim sills to the dash. (also remove the b-pillar trim, drivers front and rear door sills and the button cluster on the dash. Note there is a screw from behind on the left side looking at it from the button side)

Once the switch is installed you flip the switch start the car and good to go with no VDC, ABS or hill assist.. you have no CEL or rev limitations just some fun. Sorry for the crappy MFD photos but if you leave the screen on these will flash

To put the car back to normal turn it off.. flip the switch or reconnect the connectors... turn it back on and good to go..

Hope this helps.. again sorry for not having a step by step photo log

edit.. sorry for the upside down images of the MFD..

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Forester Prem 6M
23 Posts
Can u make a vid of that. Including some snow driving on a parking lot?
Don't have any snow here yet sadly.. but I have some RX videos posted on my youtube channel.. not the greatest to show drifting but I can say there is no VDC or abs interference while driving..

I can not wait for some snow and will post a video of it working

for now here is what I have...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWzK28_w2qThZLKag3F-v5w

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
355 Posts
Ah cool there is another "slot" to put a switch there, never thought of that actually, I thought I had depleted my switch options :)

You are giving me crazy ideas now. :grin2:

Here is how it looks in my car now. I have a 0/1/2 switch for my aux lights.

What is the original purpose of the right slot where you mounted your switch?

·
Registered
2014 Forester Manual
32 Posts
Okay all here are some photos of what I described earlier.. sorry I do not have step by step photos.. I did not think of it until I had everything back together...
-Fold down the seats
-Pull up the lower backing of the rear sear
-Use a screwdriver to push in the tab to disconnect... note the connector towards the front to the car is connected so the rear connector pulls out and you are done.
-I spliced into the rear wiring and since it was a double wire connector ran 4 wires to the front and installed a DPST switch to save me from getting in the truck to disconnect.
-I ran the wires under the rear seat (which was removed) under the trim by the doors.. I was thinking I was going to have to remove the drivers seat but was able to fish the wires under the trim sills to the dash. (also remove the b-pillar trim, drivers front and rear door sills and the button cluster on the dash. Note there is a screw from behind on the left side looking at it)

Once the switch is installed you flip the switch start the car and good to go with no VDC, ABS or hill assist.. you have no CEL or rev limitations just some fun. Sorry for the crappy MFD photos but if you leave the screen on these will flash

To put the car back to normal turn it off.. flip the switch or reconnect the connectors... turn it back on and good to go..

Hope this helps.. again sorry for not having a step by step photo log
Triaxial!!!! I Love You!!!! :grin2:

everything works perfect! now i`m in love with my car again!!! :rock:

·
Registered
2015 Forester Prem 6M
23 Posts
Gsus...

What is the original purpose of the right slot where you mounted your switch?

Nothing... it was blanked out just like yours is... I popped out the blank and stuck in the switch.

I like the switch you have for aux lights.. that I where I am planning on installing the switch for my yet installed LED bar.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just curious, has anyone else found that disabling VDC (via button, not kill switch) minimizes understeer feel on the 14+ CVT, even if you are maintaining full traction on a dry surface? Just trying to figure out why that is ...

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
355 Posts
Just curious, has anyone else found that disabling VDC (via button, not kill switch) minimizes understeer feel on the 14+ CVT, even if you are maintaining full traction on a dry surface? Just trying to figure out why that is ...
Its worth testing with "ActiveOBD" for Android.

This app makes it possible to see the torque distribution between front and rear axle.

Just speculation though. I can play a bit with mine now in the snow if I can notice that difference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its worth testing with "ActiveOBD" for Android.

This app makes it possible to see the torque distribution between front and rear axle.

Just speculation though. I can play a bit with mine now in the snow if I can notice that difference.

That sounds really cool. I don't find the four wheel display on the multifunction display very useful. Also since I'm still breaking in the engine I leave my display on oil temp/boost pressure/accelerator input. Triple function screen is awesome!

·
Registered
2013 SJ Forester XT CVT
100 Posts
Great find triaxial. Has disabling the VDC improved your autocross track times? It'll definitely help the 180 degree tight corners when the hand brake becomes useful.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Prem 6M
23 Posts
Thanks

Great find triaxial. Has disabling the VDC improved your autocross track times? It'll definitely help the 180 degree tight corners when the hand brake becomes useful.
Thanks, but figured this fix out before doing any rallycross... just from driving on some dirt roads I knew I would be fighting the car more than would be fun.. so found the fix before hand

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.