Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm trying to decide between a Scangauge and an Ultragauge for our 2015 Forester. I've heard Scangauge is a much better product, but from scrolling through the threads here for the last couple of hours, it appears not every function is available with both gauges for Subarus, depending partially on model year. I wrote to Scangauge to ask them for help, but haven't heard back, and Ultragauge doesn't appear to have a contact e-mail address. So I thought I'd ask the real experts here.

It's a 2015 Forester with automatic transmission, and the functions that are most important to me are:

Coolant temperature
Automatic transmission fluid temperature
Oil temperature
Oil pressure
Voltmeter

I'm sure I'll play with other functions, because that's just what people do. But these 5 are the essential ones for me. Does anyone know if both products support all 5 of these functions in a 2015? Even if I can only get 3 or 4, I may be open to adding separate gauges for 1 or 2 functions.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,701 Posts
@Atomheart with any "plug & play" OBD2 connected doodad, it can only monitor & display what the ECM monitors.... has sensors installed for.

As which one.
The UltraGauge cost less, but is a bit larger, compared to the ScanGauge II. We have a SG2 installed in each of our vehicles.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Reactions: Atomheart

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, Bobby, thanks... I really learn a lot from reading your posts, and I've seen several from you on this very subject while searching. And it sounds like you just taught me something else really important - it sounds like I'm actually asking the wrong question. Instead of asking "what values will the two different gauges display", maybe the real question is "what values will the Subaru's ECU even measure in the first place?" Is that right? Is that what it comes down to? Should I be writing Subaru to ask them what data their ECU monitors?

But then again, i thought I found a thread a few years ago saying that one of those two gauges displayed ATF temperatures in certain years, but the other gauge did not. Did I get that wrong?

·
Administrator
38,701 Posts
@Atomheart go to the ScanGauge or UltraGauge website & download the User's manual. In the manual, it will tell you what can be displayed. Odds are pretty good, no engine oil pressure, no engine oil temperature & most likely no ATF temperature.

The ECM has sensors for those, but not as a "gauge" function, mostly as an alarm set point.

Bobby...

Reactions: Atomheart

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah; looks like with Ultragauge I can get oil temperature but not pressure and no ATF temperature, and with Scanguage I can possibly get ATF temperature but no oil temp or pressure. Both of them have coolant temp and voltmeter, of course. I apparently had more options with my older Subarus than with the 2015, and it didn't occur to me that newer models might actually have fewer functions.

I might just go with Ultragauge and settle for the voltage and the coolant and oil temps. 3 out of 5 ain't bad, and those are probably the most important ones. Maybe install a mechanical oil pressure gauge separately. The trouble is, even Utragauge doesn't know for sure whether I can even get oil temps - they say "the following vehicles have been reported to support this function, but we can't guarantee it." So I dunno; maybe not worth the investment. Maybe just go with a 3-gauge set from Autozone or something for half the price.

·
Administrator
38,701 Posts
@Atomheart the advantage with those OBD2 devices, you don't have to install senders, which can get pretty complicated. Not saying you can't do it, just saying it can be a challenge!

If you haven't already looked, take a look here at my gauge sender installation:
Once you get the senders installed, you have to run the wiring & install the gauges!

Bobby...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Limited
719 Posts
The scangauge displays transmission temperature. Double check on the website for your particular model year.

·
Administrator
15,066 Posts
I have Scangauge II and it works well. In my ute I have an ODBII dongle and use Torque Pro for Android on a Samsung phone. As Bobby said, ATF temp doesn't display on the older model Foresters.

( @Atomheart perhaps you could update your profile with vehicle model)

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who chipped in... I got an e-mail from the Scangauge people with detailed instructions on how to program their unit to report ATF temperature, and my wife grabbed a Scangauge II on EBay for about 85 bucks. Should get it any day, and it looks as though it will be easy to set up.

Then for oil pressure, I'll follow Bobby's lead and install a sending unit and separate gauge. I'm not half the mechanic most of you guys seem to be, but I should be able to handle that one. Looks like I'll be able to get all 5 functions pretty simply after all. Thanks, everybody!

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have Scangauge II and it works well. In my ute I have an ODBII dongle and use Torque Pro for Android on a Samsung phone. As Bobby said, ATF temp doesn't display on the older model Foresters.

( @Atomheart perhaps you could update your profile with vehicle model)
Thanks; I just figured out how. I should update the picture too, but they're the exact same color, so I'll get away with it for a few more days until I get a photo of the newer one!

·
Administrator
38,701 Posts
@Atomheart that's a good price for a SG2! Only possible issue I could see, is that it's an older version that may not have all the latest capabilities. Once you get it, check it out to verify it will display what you want to monitor. The older versions can be upgraded, but only by the manufacturer. It has to be mailed in & there is a charge.

Bobby...

·
Registered
2015 Forester
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just as an update, we got the EBay Scangauge n Friday and set it up on Saturday. We really got lucky... it was only 2 years old, and is still under warranty. Being 3 years newer than our vehicle, it has the proper firmware already installed (we need V 4.2m and it has V 4.52). For the 4 displayed values, I have accurate coolant and ATF temps, and a voltmeter, but sadly, the engine oil temperature does not work. Either there is something wrong with the sensor, or Scangauge sent me the wrong codes for my vehicle.

I have an e-mail in to them to double check, but assuming it's a problem with our car's sensor, what other function would be a good one to constantly monitor as one of the 4 values I can display at a time? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5 Premium CVT
1,258 Posts
I've no experience with these devices. The engine oil temperature can be displayed on the Forester's MFD. Can you see it on that?

Just had a thought...maybe this is not the case for the base 2.5i Forester, but it displays on my wife's 2.5i Premium. Not sure which trim you have.

Mike

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
823 Posts
Just be sure that the EBay ScanGauge 2 purchase has the latest firmware version. Iirc, v 4.22
Otherwise you’ll have to send it in for an update.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts