Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone - - I've had 4 black Foresters over the years - 2 have ended up w/ my son - - next new car I'll get a Forester but I think a gray one - I live on the edge . . .

anyhow - - I tow a small fishing boat w/ my 2015 Forester occasionally and am considering installing a transmission cooler / radiator - - the boat is well under the stated towing capacity of 1,500 pounds

Does anyone have experience with this and can offer some tips, do's, don'ts, etc - -

thanks

·
Administrator
13,179 Posts
G'day & Welcome aboard @ObiJohn

First of all are you experiencing overheating? If not then I wouldn't worry about it.

I've had an OEM trans cooler since new. There are 2 ways of doing it; the first is to keep the radiator in the flow and the other is to have the trans cooler independent of the radiator which is best for heavy off-roading / beach driving.

Considerations: If you are doing a lot of beach driving then the independent method is definitely the best way to go. But if you live in an area where winters are severe then incorporating the radiator is the best way as it will help to bring the ATF up to operating temperature; if you are in such an area I'd probably leave it as is ;-)

·
Registered
2018 Forester
113 Posts
I'm thinking to modify my CVT oil pan by epoxying large finned aluminum heat sinks that I purchased with J B weld to the bottom to help keep the oil cool without compromising the warranty as I will not be opening the CVT. Won't hurt. I would buy an aluminum finned pan if anyone actually made one.
Waiting till next week when I change my engine oil to crawl under it.

·
Registered
2018 Forester
113 Posts
just picked this heat sink up for $25.00 on ebay. It measures 20.5 x 9 x 1 5/8 inches I'm a machinist so I can mill the fins down if I think it's too tall. Since I lifted I don't think that will be a problem.
I'll modify it this week.
I had three heat sinks 12 x 6 x 7/8 inches already that I was going to modify videocards with but I like the larger one I found on ebay. I got a good deal on it they are expensive.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts