Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium 2.5i
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I was driving on city streets in very cold (-5degrees F) weather. I turned left and suddenly most of the warning lights went on - check engine, check transmission, no ABS, no Eyesight systems, and AT high temp light blinking. I was able to drive it —it seemed normal although I am not sure that the high gear was working.

I took it to the dealer today. They said that the valve body (I think) needed to be replaced. It is an $800 part. The repair is covered by Subaru’s extended warranty.

I had taken it in to the dealer about a month ago for a transmission drain and fill. My question is whether the present problem could have been caused by something during the drain and fill process, or is it probably just a coincidence. I also wonder if there is a chance of future problems with the transmission.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Forester Limited
705 Posts
Only if debris got into the CVT when filling it. Which might have happened, and might not, it's one of those things that really can't be proven either way.

The valve body is basically a bunch of spool valves that redirect fluid as needed. Any small debris could jam a spool in it's bore, as they are very close tolerance.

It may also have solenoids that are not replaceable separately that actuate those spools. A solenoid coil could have failed.

I am mostly speculating here, as I have never set eyes on a Subaru CVT valve body, but that's the basics of most automatic transmission valve bodies.

Just what exactly failed is anyone's guess outside of the code/diagnosis given. The dealer tech isn't going to see it, as it will be shipped off to Japan for analysis.

Either way, if they replace just the valve body, the CVT need to be opened up and exposed to the elements much more than just a drain and fill process.

I would be surprised if they did that, as from what my understanding is, any failure results in a Subaru remanufactured CVT installed, and the defective one shipped off for analysis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information. I knew that the valve body is a major part of the transmission but wasn’t sure exactly what it is or what it does. They said that they had the replacement part in stock, so it did not sound as if they were going to replace the whole transmission. I’ll ask more when I pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
847 Posts
About a week ago I was driving on city streets in very cold (-5degrees F) weather. I turned left and suddenly most of the warning lights went on - check engine, check transmission, no ABS, no Eyesight systems, and AT high temp light blinking. I was able to drive it —it seemed normal although I am not sure that the high gear was working.

I took it to the dealer today. They said that the valve body (I think) needed to be replaced. It is an $800 part. The repair is covered by Subaru’s extended warranty.

I had taken it in to the dealer about a month ago for a transmission drain and fill. My question is whether the present problem could have been caused by something during the drain and fill process, or is it probably just a coincidence. I also wonder if there is a chance of future problems with the transmission.

Any information would be very much appreciated.
Glad they are taking care of you. Your mileage?
Probably placebo effect with fluid change, I've heard of the valve body replacement on that era CVT multiple times online, I think a large part of the reason for the extended warranty.
My bet is that they improved the design, and you'll be good to go for the long haul into the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just passed 92k miles. Glad it happened before the warranty ran out at 100K.

interestingly I had to remind them about the extended warranty - it did not automatically pop up in their system.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
392 Posts
A valve body can be replaced without having to replace the entire CVT. The OP was quoted $800 for the part.

Glad it can be repaired under warranty!

StanF

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester
16 Posts
You can have symptoms of a failed valve body without it actually have failed. If the transmission was refilled but short a liter. It could exhibit symptoms of a failed valve body. Refilling isn't as simple and adding however much you took out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can have symptoms of a failed valve body without it actually have failed. If the transmission was refilled but short a liter. It could exhibit symptoms of a failed valve body. Refilling isn't as simple and adding however much you took out.
Good to know.Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts