Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently put together a CVT cooler setup based on the Mishi kit with a few upgrades including some nice PTFE SS-braided hoses and AN fittings. Took everything to my local tuner shop to have them do the install. Picked the car up and it looked solid and clean.

After 3-4 days I noticed a small drip/leak coming from the cooler fittings and brought the car back to the shop to get it resolved. I could tell they wrenched on the fittings, cleaned up the small amount of fluid that had leaked out and sent me on my way.

I've now driven about 200 miles and have noticed that the leak is back, less than before but its almost like a misting in the general area. I've cleaned, driven a few miles, and checked again; same thing. Not really a drip but a misting. really!

QUESTION 1: Should I be concerned about loosing a little trans fluid? I cant imagine it was much but my OCD compels me to worry about it.

QUESTION 2: Now that the trans cooler is primed with fluid, is there an easy way to top off the trans fluid? Is that even recommended or is a flush the better idea? I know, HT-CVT is a lifetime fluid but folks I trust have assured me that depends and so im open to a flush.

BONUS QUESTION: I thought AN fittings weren't supposed to leak; especially the type that include the collet for crimping the line? I noticed the threads were not taped Should I be questioning the shop i've trusted with this mod? I really like them and they've helped me out in a pinch but this job seemed like a layup considering the other work they're doing in there (not on my car) and I don't want to question their workmanship when I dont know myself. Thanks.

Jerod

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
808 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that small of a loss. But I would get it fixed.

AN fittings seem like quite a bit of overkill for a tranny cooler. It may look nice, but in my mind, it makes for a lot more connections where leaks are likely to occur compared to just using the rubber hoses. There shouldn't be that much pressure in a tranny cooler line to warrant the fittings.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@OutbackJon gotcha, seemed like a good idea since i was trying to avoid leaks. Agreed on fixing it ASAP. The car is going back tomorrow so we'll see what they say. My guess is they should have taped them.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited, 2.5L NA, 4AT. Purchased as the second owner in 2020 with ~126K miles.
785 Posts
There are a lot of fake A/N connectors out there. Way back there was a transition to stainless steel sleeves that looked like SS braided hoses. The fittings were just there to complete the fiction.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,714 Posts
@Dying2Live if that leaking or seeping is at the AN fitting... seal & you have to fix it yourself, look into "AN conical seals". These seal inserts are used to make a perfect seal where the AN seat is not making a perfect seal with the fitting.

Bobby...
Originally developed for NASA, the soft annealed 37° conical seals act as a crush washer on the male AN flare. They help to ensure reliable, leak-free seals while preventing damage to the tubing or the AN fitting. They can even help rescue fittings that have been damaged at the seat from debris, overtightening, or manufacturing irregularities.
Drinkware Dishware Serveware Cylinder Gas

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a lot of fake A/N connectors out there. Way back there was a transition to stainless steel sleeves that looked like SS braided hoses. The fittings were just there to complete the fiction.
Good to know. I was able to tighten them a little more and stop one of the leaks. I’m letting the shop fix the last one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts