Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 XT' TPMS is telling me my right rear tire is at 20psi. Never mind that it in fact 42psi. I don't want to (but I will if pushed) deflate each tire and reinflate it to force the TPMS to behave -if that even works?

I see reset tools on various sites for sale, from cheap, less than 20 bucks, up to several hundred dollars. Is this something worth purchasing? If so, at what price point? Or is it better to go to a local tire joint and have them reset them?

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
Your 2015 Forester has a direct readout that is telling you your RR tire is at 20 psi? Hmmmm...... Where, what menu selection has this data??? This is new to me! Or are you getting this info from a shop with a direct read tool?

The pressure transducer in an individual sensor can go bad. They aren't all that expensive to replace.

The best bang for the buck all around handheld tool is probably the Autel TS508. I found one seller on ebay recently peddling them for around $100. But I need to know more about your statements to know if it would do you any good.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention. I have a Pioneer Avic 8400NEX receiver installed. It permits you to see a few stats, one of which is each tire and it's pressure. I've found nothing on Pioneer's site about this minor feature and if I can reset it or not.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
Nice feature! I've not heard of a radio head with that capacity, so can't advise. If one was really transmitting (false data), it should trigger the Forester system and the dash light should go on. But you say it's not? Just the Pioneer is reporting one is low?

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....and it has triggered it. Sorry! My reporting sucks. So dash light says problem, radio head says problem. I'm inclined to think the TPMS has gone bad.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
I thought maybe this was some kind of test of my diagnostic skills!

Sounds like you do have one bad sensor. Hit an independent tire shop and ask them to ping all 4 tires with their handheld device and see if all the data agrees. Each sensor should transmit 4 pieces of data:
Hex ID code, Pressure, Temperature & Battery Status. Don't freak if you don't get temp or battery data, as not every sensor reliably broadcasts this. But if you get one that reads pressure well below reality, it will need to be replaced.

If the shop can do 'cloning', you might be able to skip the new data upload step thru the OBD port. If they only have generic or preprogrammed units, you'll have to pay for this extra Registration step.

Reactions: 8lackie

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Premium
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your help sir. I will see about a tire shop if I can visit and stay distanced. Here in the Northeast, things are getting pretty squirrelly.

·
Registered
2018 Forester Limited
282 Posts
I share your concern! I'm in the Mid Hudson Valley of NY, and my High School senior is back to distance learning again after two kids tested positive last week.

And you are most welcome! I live to serve..... :p Glad I could help.

Reactions: 8lackie
1 - 8 of 8 Posts