Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just recently got a whole new tire, wheel, and lift set up. I'm running a 2 inch ReadyLIFT kit with 16 inch Motegi Racing Wheels and 235/65R16C Load Range E Falken Wildpeak AT3W Tires, Speed Rating: 121/119 R. (sorry I'm trying to be as specific in tires as possible).

Anyway my question is: What should my tires be inflated to for every day normal driving on regular roads in town and on the highway? they had them at 40 psi when they were installed. And what psi should they be at when I'm off roading on dirt roads? do I need to air down and what psi should I be airing down to?

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i 6-speed
105 Posts
40psi is way too high to drive on every day; that's usually the pressure used to seat the tire to the bead of the wheel. The center of the tire will burn up faster than the outside.

For everyday driving on the street, run them ~32-34psi. Since they're a load range E, they will likely ride firmer and won't "give" as much off-road.

In terms of what pressure to "air down" to, experiment and see what works for you. You may not need to air down at all; and the ides that you "need to" to off-road is a misnomer.

Personally, I wouldn't run anything less than 25psi off-road for fear of de-beading the tire and being in a way worse spot. It's not like there is a lot of extra grip to be had at lower pressures when the tire starts to roll onto the sidewall and trash the tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Airing down when going off-road will improve your contact patch and air in imperfection absorption.

I wouldn’t go below 25 psi as stated above , without the means to reset the tire bead and air back up on the trail. If you end up popping a bead over rocky terrain, you can decimate your sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,667 Posts
When it comes to on-road - keep the tires at the suggested pressures listed in your owner's guide and on the door pillar - probably in the low-mid 30s.

For off-roading, it will depend - as mentioned - on the surface you're traversing. I am usually on light sand, gravel, rocks and so I usually will air down to about 22 to 25 PSI (measured warm). Same for muddy/wet and some icy snow. I've never been in dunes or deep sand so I can't advise on that.

Be sure that you have a good air pump to bring them back up to on-road PSI (warm would generally read about 4 PSI more than cold).

For ease in deflating the tires, you can just use a typical air gage device to press in and release air. There are more than a few products you can buy as well. Some of the air pressure gauges I've seen will also have a button on the side to allow deflation quick and easy. I know that Standt (or is it Stant?) makes a valve-stem cap that can be preset to air down to a certain PSI. I bought them but never could quite figure out how to get them to work right... Other companies have a "spider" of tubes that go on each tire and then you can deflate (and hook up to your air pump to inflate)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts