Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Editorial Content
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Sharper, More Polished and Better Than Ever
by Aaron Gold

The WRX is the hot-rod version of Subaru's compact Impreza. Patterned after rally cars -- a form of racing that is wildly popular in Europe but widely unknown in the U.S. -- the WRX first came to the States in 2002. With its turbocharged engine and all-wheel-drive, it offered a unique driving experience somewhere between a hot hatchback and a full-on sports car.

FAST FACTS
1. A new, smaller, 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine makes 268 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.

2. Subaru claims a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds with the new 6-speed manual transmission.

3. Also offered with an automatic, Subaru has fitted the 2015 WRX with a CVT.

4. Fuel economy is 21/28 MPG (city/hwy) for the manual and 19/25 for the automatic.

The WRX has had its good years and its bad years, but it's always been fast, grippy and relatively inexpensive, traits that have earned it a large and loyal fan base.

We liked the previous-generation WRX, and we're smitten with the new one. Though Subaru has several significant changes, the basic character of the car remains intact: Armed with a broad, flat torque curve and a seemingly limitless supply of grip, the new WRX attacks curvy roads with the tenacity that only a turbocharged engine and four powered wheels can provide. The old WRX may have needed a little help from the aftermarket to bring out its true potential, but the new car feels complete, its surfaces smoothly sanded and its edges finely honed.

Familiar Look, But Only One Body Style

So what, exactly, has Subaru changed? Darn near everything. As with the old WRX, the new one is based on the Impreza, though most of the sheetmetal has been altered: Doors, fenders, hood, and front and rear fascias are unique to the WRX.

Though the new car looks a bit tame compared to the old one, the big, functional hood scoop gives it the unmistakable look of a hot-rod Subaru. Unfortunately, the rear view is less captivating: The trunk spoiler has been downsized in the name of aerodynamics, and from the back the new WRX is as anonymous as an ordinary Impreza.

There's also one detail die-hard Subaru fans might not like: The new WRX is only offered as a sedan. Subaru says that by sticking to a single body style, they were able to spend more money on stiffening the structure. That's all well and good, but those who chose the WRX as a practical sportster will be left hanging, as the sedan's 12 cubic foot trunk is no match for the old hatchback's spacious cargo bay.
Read the complete 2015 Subaru WRX Review at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
"Driving the CVT-equipped WRX gave us a new appreciation for the twin-clutch automatic in the Volkswagen GTI and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart... not to mention the WRX's own six-speed manual."

This can't be good? I REALLY miss the prev generation certainly in terms of how it looked. It was elegant and tough all at the same time. :icon_confused:

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
The body style was unchanged for awhile and needed a refresher.

They got 5x114 bolt pattern now.

They say the body roll is less too.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
The body style was unchanged for awhile and needed a refresher.

They got 5x114 bolt pattern now.

They say the body roll is less too.
A Quebec reviewer called it a "road magnet" compared to the previous years. Stiffier chassis, redesigned firmer suspension, etc.

And to all those who are saying it doesn't look as aggressive as the previous gen, let's remember the WRX '08:

·
Premium Member
'19 Forester LTD CVT
3,248 Posts
"Driving the CVT-equipped WRX gave us a new appreciation for the twin-clutch automatic in the Volkswagen GTI and Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart... not to mention the WRX's own six-speed manual."

This can't be good? I REALLY miss the prev generation certainly in terms of how it looked. It was elegant and tough all at the same time. :icon_confused:
I want to hear there reasoning for it. Motor Trend loves it, and so does driving sports TV.

Start watching at 11:30 on the youtube video. You can hear how quick the shifts are. It is an instant jump in RPM.

EDIT:
Ahh... read the article. They don't like it because there are too many gears in S# (8) that require you to be constantly shifting to maintain optimal RPM. Also the poor "launch" performance. I see how it is. They are saying it is too much of a chore to drive an automatic car, and people should opt for the much easier to drive manual transmission as you have to shift less. :raspberry:

Never thought I would hear that...

Also interesting that Auto guide praises the brake pedal feel, where as Motor Trend, Driving Sports, Car and Drive, and autoblog all say it is way too soft and spongy still.

They also ding it for a lot of understeer, while car and driver, motor trend, DS, and AB all say it is surprising neutral even at the limit. Odd...

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
801 Posts
To be fair, there is some merit to the downshifting in s#. I don't mind it in my XT Foz at all but you do have to downshift a couple of clicks to get some 'real go'.. The kind that he's talking about.

Still, so far my only objection is the looks... Apart from that I'm sure Subaru would have kept the essence if the WRX intact :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium Manual
52 Posts
I really like it. I was never a fan of the '08-'14 years, mainly due to the drastically cheapened, hard plastic interior and what I also considered a step back in looks over the '03-'07 years... but this 2015 changes everything. It seems much more well-rounded and refined than before.

Just as I think the loaded Forester XT Touring will win over some BMW/Audi shoppers, I think the optioned-up WRX might do the same to potential GTI shoppers.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
40 Posts
The new test drive reviews also have some nice shots of the shifter boot. Hopefully it's a direct swap into the Forester! :icon_biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts